• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen [Spoiler]TM Changes

blue

gucci
Years
I wish they kept Dark Pulse as a TM, that was the only good Dark move learnable via TM, infact it's probably one of the best Dark type moves.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
One change I would like to see doesn't involve the move itself but where in the game you get it. I didn't like that Ice Beam wasn't obtainable until post-game, and I definitely want to see that changed in B2/W2. Blizzard has horrible accuracy, and Samurott couldn't learn Frost Breath, so I was essentially stuck without a decent Ice attack till very late in the game.

TM 13, TM 24, and TM 35 were traditionally available in the Game Corner as prizes. Since I don't think there's much chance of bringing the Game Corners back, these TM's should be made available for purchase somewhere, just so you obtain them in a somewhat similar manner.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
While I'm not an expert in whether the Game Corner can come back, the Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt TMs have been buyable with coins at every Game Corner since Generation III, with the exception of the GBA Wireless ones in FR/LG/E.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
I totally agree with some of the old TM's coming back especially Stealth Rock, Drain Punch, the list can go on. Another thing that would be cool although not a TM, move tutors would be great maybe some with old 4th gen moves?

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Now, you can't give TMs as items, so they could make a completely new set of TMs and eliminate tutors with this. Also, Stealth Rock is useless in doubles and those are the official format, so IMO it's very unlikely that this move will return as TM (referring to the first post).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I agree with the above tbh. I think that Stealth Rock didn't really -need- to be taken out in the first place, and the fact that it "wasn't necessary" shouldn't really count as a lot of TMs we have now aren't necessary. So really, ya. :x Still it'd be nice to have SR - not sure what I'd like to learn it via TM, but I think it would help people think more about their team set-out to be able to have that on more than just a few Pokemon.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Yes, singles are popular among players, but it's not what Game Freak and Nintendo care about, unfortunately. And that's my point about unnecessity of SR at all. I miss Giga Drain and Drain Punch as TMs as well as Roost, teaching Hydreigon Dark Pulse via egg move is kinda hilarious as well. I wish they make a completely new set of TMs but that is very unlikely to happen. IMO, they could put elemental punches in place of Ice Beam, T-Bolt and Flamethrower as they are available in BW and the games will be compatibile. If they change a lot of TMs, there won't be any need to put move tutors in the game. Actually, it would be convienient - you'd have to pay for the move only once! :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
IMO, they could put elemental punches in place of Ice Beam, T-Bolt and Flamethrower as they are available in BW and the games will be compatibile.

That would be terrible. :( Those attacks that we have are better - plus more Pokemon can learn them (I think?) and replacing them completely would be not so great, imo.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
I'd rather have my Ice punch early in the game than my Ice Beam post E4, to be honest. Also, trading nowadays isn't a big deal, so I guess it would be OK to send someone a pokemon just to teach it a TM or two.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
Can't believe I forgot Drain Punch! But yes, there needs to be more TMs. I don't care if you have to take some away, like Struggle Bug or Frost Breath.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Can't believe I forgot Drain Punch! But yes, there needs to be more TMs. I don't care if you have to take some away, like Struggle Bug or Frost Breath.
Haha yes, get rid of the rubbish ones! Honestly I doubt they're gonna change the TMs though, this doesn't really seem like something that needs or warrants changing. I think the current ones are alright and you can get most moves that you want from them; adding too many would take the fun/challenge out of breeding! So yeah it'll be interesting to see if they do decide to change the TMs up a bit, but I'm really not expecting them to.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Again I would perfer if they didn't bring back Stealth rock, that tm was overused and imo overrated...
I would like to see Drain punch return, I find it sad that they removed it after one gen and after giving it an update in this one :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Again I would perfer if they didn't bring back Stealth rock, that tm was overused and imo overrated...

Well, Stealth Rock isn't really, it's actually really useful and helps hurt certain Pokemon which can otherwise be big issues otherwise. For OU, Volc/Dragonite, and for NU, Charizard, etc. So it's definitely a useful TM since even with it these Pokemon are still issues in competitive play. However if the TM was added, then those Pokemon would be less of an issue since there would be more SR users and less need to dedicate an entire spot to it. :x Sooo yeah, it's definitely useful and could be beneficial if returned.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

Well, Stealth Rock isn't really, it's actually really useful and helps hurt certain Pokemon which can otherwise be big issues otherwise. For OU, Volc/Dragonite, and for NU, Charizard, etc. So it's definitely a useful TM since even with it these Pokemon are still issues in competitive play. However if the TM was added, then those Pokemon would be less of an issue since there would be more SR users and less need to dedicate an entire spot to it. :x Sooo yeah, it's definitely useful and could be beneficial if returned.

I always thought that they took out the TMs that they did to balance the Metagame more. They took out the really threatening attacks that would be heavily abused with the Reusable TM thing. Gamefreak supports Metagame so I know they are making more competitive changes to promote Player vs Player battles.

I see bringing back Stealth Rock as a serious issue due to abusibility. It was removed for a reason what ever that may be, and seeing as Gamefreak is pro meta I think that had something to do with it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
But Stealth Rock isn't threatening. XD; It's something that puts Pokemon at bay rather than allow them to just overpower everything. If they really want that they might as well ban them from official tournaments tbh. More users of Stealth Rock would decrease some of the issues now and possibly bring about balance to what is currently not so balanced. :(

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
All I want is some better TMs like Bug Buzz, Dark Pulse, Stealth Rock, etc...
In BW it ticked me off with moves like Struggle Bug and Incinerate.

Years
I always thought that they took out the TMs that they did to balance the Metagame more. They took out the really threatening attacks that would be heavily abused with the Reusable TM thing. Gamefreak supports Metagame so I know they are making more competitive changes to promote Player vs Player battles.

I see bringing back Stealth Rock as a serious issue due to abusibility. It was removed for a reason what ever that may be, and seeing as Gamefreak is pro meta I think that had something to do with it.
My view is pratically summed up by this. Stealth rock is also better in the hands of the underused rock pokemon that have it, it gives them more of an edge.
Also how about the increase some of the tm's powers, some of them were really quite weak...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

My view is pratically summed up by this. Stealth rock is also better in the hands of the underused rock pokemon that have it, it gives them more of an edge.
Also how about the increase some of the tm's powers, some of them were really quite weak...

Oh definitely I'd love increases in accuracy tbh. Focus Blast definitely needs it, not so much power, but ya.

(Is F-Blast a team? I feel it is, either way even if it isn't it should be!)

Years
Ehh, no Focus blast will become quite broken if so, it's the Blizzard, Thunder, Fire Blast, etc. of the fighting type. What i'll like to see is an increase in the power of Struggle bug.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ehh, no Focus blast will become quite broken if so, it's the Blizzard, Thunder, Fire Blast, etc. of the fighting type. What i'll like to see is an increase in the power of Struggle bug.

Yeah but Focus Blast has no weather to enhance it, whereas the others do. :x Just maybe an increase of 10% would be amazing so it matches Fire Blast, at least. :(

Back