• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sub or Dub? Which do you prefer?

Melfice

Wait4Baba
Years
I used to watch dub, but now I mainly watch sub because it comes out sooner and I like hearing the original Japanese voices. Some of the dub voices I don't really like.

Arrow

I'd like to be a tree :3
Years
Dubbed by far. It's extremely hard for me to focus on the anime and the words at the same, but I usually end up watching the sub as well because it's up first. I don't like waiting for it to be dubbed.

BossBattle

Legend Hunter
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
Although I watch most of my anime subbed, I prefer the dubbed for Pokemon as I grew up watching the series that way.

The XY anime dubbed is sounding alright to me so far. I don't mind the wait for subsequent episodes to be dubbed, since I'll be plenty occupied with breeding and hitting up the Battle Maison in preparation for the Pokebank release.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Bonus question time! Do you judge people based on their preferred version? I know we'd all like to say we don't, but there are certainly people who are original-elitist and others who are dub loyal. So what do you think about people who choose to watch the version you don't?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Do you judge people based on their preferred version?

Bonus answer time! I judge them positively. I'm slightly jealous of those who watch the subs. They get to watch episodes weeks before they are released in English. I'd watch the subs if it weren't for me being so tied up in the dub BW right now/XY being dubbed soon.

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
Years
Raw over subbed, because there are times when I'm reading the subs and the way it's translated bothers me.

Though I prefer raw over the dub as well due to the changes and how they seem to make Ash even dumber than he already is. The voices grate on me sometimes as well, especially Iris and James for example. I do watch and enjoy the dub however!

I don't judge people who watch raw/sub/dubs as long as you aren't watching the god awful subs :P

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
I'd rather it be dubbed, but some of the voice acting in the translations are just soooo bad, so I tend to watch more subbed as a result. But as Pumpkaboo said the way they do some of the translations, both subbed and dubbed, or just plain bad. That may be what the literal translation, but my god no one would actually talk like that.This happens in games as well.

For example I was playing a translated Visual Novel Called 'Eien no Aselia' love the story but there was one part where they were talking about something blowing up, but instead of saying things like 'it will explode' or 'we'll all be blown up' they said We'll be 'blown away'. Any time they referred to the explosion it would always be 'blown away'. It just felt odd to me, clearly lost in translation haha.

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
Years
I'd rather it be dubbed, but some of the voice acting in the translations are just soooo bad, so I tend to watch more subbed as a result. But as Pumpkaboo said the way they do some of the translations, both subbed and dubbed, or just plain bad. That may be what the literal translation, but my god no one would actually talk like that.This happens in games as well.

For example I was playing a translated Visual Novel Called 'Eien no Aselia' love the story but there was one part where they were talking about something blowing up, but instead of saying things like 'it will explode' or 'we'll all be blown up' they said We'll be 'blown away'. Any time they referred to the explosion it would always be 'blown away'. It just felt odd to me, clearly lost in translation haha.

My main problem with subs is that the only group who does it decently for Pokemon (PM, since Eeveetaku rarely release anything) has a god awful type setting. Which for people with sight issues makes it near impossible to read what they've written. Case in example, they give Meowth Yellow text with a white border. So even if the subs are close to as accurate as possible, they're really stupidly done.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
I usually watch raw or subbed because there are no edits or cuts. The first season was good for the dub and the voices are great until TPCi changed the voice actors and I seen up to best wishes where they have rare dubbing inconsistencies such as a voice clip not sync to a characters mouth and had Bianca's voice have a different pitch despite the same actress. I like watching the raws because they have all the original background music and no script changed. The legend of raikou has a terrible dub because 4kids decides to become harder on chronicles, such as changing the script where team rocket duos, Attila and Hun says random things such as Attila being a wrangler and Huh has his gender changed despite being referred as "the men" with Attila. On advance generation, the background music has hollen musics remixed because it's based on a game obviously, and 4kids decides to change most of it which you don't hear very often anymore. Another example was the episode where Ash says goodbye to Misty and Brock , the original has a dramatic music which fits the scene, but 4kids decides to change it to a happy song and that didn't fit well.

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2014
Usually, I prefer subbed. I watch a lot of J & K dramas so I'm used to it. Plus the sound of foreign languages <3

For Pokemon, I grew up with dub, but after watching X&Y in Japanese, sub isn't so bad. In fact, I actually prefer the sub lol. I know it's been years, but I still can't get used to TPCi's dubbing, especially Ash's voice. Rica Matsumoto does a great job with his voice in the original. The hardest part is getting used to the different Pokemon names, but even that was a lot easier than I thought, especially if the subs are changed to the English names.

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Apr 4, 2014
I prefer dub so i can underrstand what they are saying.in norwegian or english.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 6, 2014
I prefer sub on the new series but for the original first season, I like it to be in Swedish because of nostalgia reasons :D

Years
The very first season of Pokemon I watched in dubbed, which I thought was actually decent and still think it is even to this day. To be honest, I haven't watched any of the recent series because I've been so disengaged from the Pokemon franchise for too long. A couple episodes of listening to Brock's voice just had me going "Nope." XD All due respect to Sugita Tomokazu-san, but his voice does not suit Brock...

Years
I am always watching subbed anime. It's much better that way but i watched pokemons dubbed(english) when i was young so i'll always watch it dubbed, it brings my childhood back (talking about series 1). :)

Years
I barely ever watch subbed anime, because 1. I actually want to understand what the characters are saying and 2. I don't want to have to read subtitles very fast and miss something important.
So, I usually watch dubbed anime.

DarkCloud1267

Master Trainer
Years
Honestly....both work for me. i grew up with dubbed and still watch the dub to this day. but ive also been watching x and y subbed because the episodes arent out in english. so for me its both

Back