• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Previous PotM Winner][July] If you were were a mod...

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I never infracted anyone during the six months I served as the moderator here. Didn't even hand out any official warning. Most that I did was PM the member concerned and notify them of their error so they can mend their ways. And most usually did. So I never had to do much, haha.

I was pretty damn lenient, I think. There was a thread in the staff forums where all the staff members were asked who in their opinion was the strictest and the most lenient staff member. My name was brought up when it came to the latter category, haha.

Though I probably would've been really strict to anyone who did something serious. Like posting Xrated stuff or stealing artwork.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
One of the threads that I made when I became smod was the Moderator Guidelines. Its by far my most favorite thread that I've created here, and in it, I made a sort of guidebook to someone's first days as a moderator that they would be able to look at as a reference for how to handle problems. I used myself and how I deal with issues as a basis on it.
Wow, there was no such thing before you arrived? That thread is so incredibly helpful and I'm really happy that you took your time and effort to make it, then.

As far as the rules are concerned, I don't care about upholding the majority of them. The only one that I care about is respecting each other, because I feel that that is the only one that should matter. If someone posts in a thread that's been dead for two years, so what? If someone doesn't have four words and twenty-five characters in their post, who cares? Those things, I don't deal with the way that the rules say we should.
Well, the rules are there to give members a hint of how they should act here, right. Some rules are not as important as others (compare pr0n rule to thread revival rule for example), but they are still necessary imo as guidelines and for keeping the forum tidy.

Before I was modded, I was posting a bit crazily much in Pokémon General, I think :x And I still want to say I do! I post in nearly every new topic, unless I really don't have anything to say, and I make new threads as soon as I get an idea for one. Thankfully, a lot of people are making threads now, so there are always something interesting to post in. So generally, I don't behave different from when I wasn't a mod, except that now I can make things happen instead of just complain about things I think should happen, haha...

I have only been a moderator for a month now (not counting the time I was moderating Roleplay Corner, a couple of years ago, because that was a bit different) but I have hardly given out any infractions. I banned one :p Idk, most of the time it's just people posting in the wrong place or not reading the rules properly, so I'll move or lock threads a lot. I would feel weird infracting someone for being a bit clumsy with where they post stuff. Spam is a different thing though; if someone posts less than 4 words and obviously doesn't mean to contribute to the discussion, or if someone is rude or completely offtopic, I don't have many qualms about deleting it. I guess you could tl;dr it as: I'm chill enough.

I have a few favorite things about being a moderator on PC. One is to be able to give out emblems. Admittedly, I've given out quite a few during this month xD Emblems are fun, that's a fact in my head even though some people shrug and say they are tired of them. I love receiving emblems and I like giving emblems out. I made some for Pokémon General and I'm always scouting for members who might deserve them :3

And of course, the staff team. Before, I thought it was a bit redundant how old staff welcomed new staff members and seemed to suddenly want to be friends with them and become part of the gang and yada yada
But now it's not that strange to me anymore. Of course staff should strive to be friends with each other; we work together. We're not a clique, we're colleagues. If we have fun at work, we become more eager to do our job well and it promotes communication between h-staff and mods (at least for me it has) which is great when it comes to picking up on ideas for the forums and events.

My favorite thing to do as a moderator though... is to lock or move a thread :x Don't know why but it gives me satisfaction hahahhaa um. And the bolded username is delicious. All members should have bolded usernames. We'd all look delicious.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Bumping up this thread since I haven't answered myself hahaha.

If I were ever a mod here or on any other forum I imagine myself being one of the more lenient staff members. I wouldn't ever infract people unless they really needed it. If the post was constantly breaking a rule over and over again, only then would I intract them and eventually if they kept it up then a ban. Other than that then I'd most likely only PM the person that they're breaking a certain rule and not to do it again or give them a warning. If the person is posting in the wrong section or posting something that doesn't even fit in PC at all, then I'd just move or close it for them. Merging threads is probably something I'd rarely do cause whenever I look at merged threads, they don't seem to blend in well. I would also try to not come intimidating and encourage people to come to me if they have any questions or issues. Moderators and staff should be approachable right? You should be to come to them for any questions or concern you may have cause they know the forums well. Or at least that's how I see it and that's how I'd try to be as a moderator.

I'd definitely take advantage of the perks. One I'd love a lot is the custom usertitles. I would probably have to get another staff member to help me for a while cause I'm in no way knowledgeable when it comes to coding and HTML stuff, but I'm sure I'd be used to it after a few times. I'd also love having a larger profile picture and avatar. 130x130 and 150x150 is definitely not enough for me and I've always wanted a bigger profile picture/avatar. Giving out emblems would be fun too for me. I'd probably make an ego emblem if I'm on staff long enough.

Nine Inch Nails

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Years
  • Age 25
  • lol
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Before the forum I come from got trashed by a certain hacker and we had to migrate to Xenforo, yellow cards were never given out. It was either a verbal warning via PM or an infraction.

As such, if I were modded here, I'd never use yellow cards... it'd be a quick warning for a first offence and then an infraction for whatever happens next. PMs make yellow cards redundant as is. This is similar to how I moderate Pokemon Showdown servers: I warn first and then lay down the law, so to speak.

If the offence was of sufficient magnitude, however, I'd just go straight to an infraction (like on Showdown, where I go straight to a mute or a lock or even a ban). No use in warning for something major; it's a waste of time and gives some sort of encouragement to the user who may fall under the impression that you're not firm / assertive / whatever enough.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I would be a terrible, terrible mod. I'd be way too timid to actually give someone infractions. I'd probably just be like "hey can you not do that please thanks." Well, unless they do it again, and then it's like "I TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THAT WHY ARE YOU STILL DOING THAT OH MY GOD DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME I AM MOD HEAR ME ROAR GRAAAAAAAH" *angry wiggly arms* and then ban them.

Also it'd probably be awkward if I had to PM one of my friends about breaking a rule. I'd probably say, "hi um yeah you broke a rule if you could not do that again that'd be great kthanx bye"

So yeah, no one ever make me mod.

Years
I'll make sure to abuse my power as much as possible before screwing off.

As for how I'll feel personally, nothing will change except for the blue/yellow color in my username. With the flexibility of being a mod there also comes a responsibility, therefore I will try to do even better to help the community.

If I'm being dead honest I do want to be a mod... well, who doesn't? But I've only been here for 5 days so I'll bide my time.

Last edited:

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Years
I Would mostly give warnings and not infarct people for simple mistakes i at one point had 8 infractions for very small things and a friend Umbre0n was interacted for such little things he left as of now i have been infraction free for 7 months i would let everyone under a year of bring here warnings change curses with a similar word like ship I can't fudging stand these fudging returns for the occasion slip up (we all have done it) I will not stand for harassment disregard of the rules (not ignorance) and spam

Honest

Hi!
Years
Heh, I realized something over time. While I did say that I work with the three strike system, there are moments where someone does something that makes me go "you clearly just didn't bother to read the rules or the OP or something". It's moments like those where I go with a two strike (yellow then red) or even once I just went over to an infraction. So common sense does prove to be a factor in my deciding what to give trouble makers.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm fairly lenient but it might come with where I mod. The two rules that are usually broken in Pokemon Trivia and Forum Games are the four word rule and the 25-character rule. I tend to usually just delete the posts that are breaking the rule and if it becomes a repeating offense by the same member (I have a pretty good memory for this) then I'll first yellow card then red card if they continue. But yellow cards only happen once in a blue moon and red cards are even more rare. There have only been a few times where it's a different rule that's been broken and depending on the degree of the offense is the degree of what action that I take.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like I'm definitely on the lenient side. I like to give warnings for stuff before giving out an infraction, but that's pretty much in my nature since I'm not really big on being negative (however if it's required it's going to happen).

Years
Alrighty, so I thought I would post back in here with experience of actually being a mod..

I'm a fairly lenient mod, but I turn away from that if one clearly breaks a rule, and then become strict. I haven't had to lock much in my section and I have yet to issue an actual infraction. The one thing I have done a lot of though is disable signatures (seen an increase on those lately? :3c)

And if I see someone break a rule for the first time, then I'll issue them a yellow card (wait, you thought I was lenient?), but all the yellow card does is just remind them.. it doesn't add up points. Then if I see repeat offenses, I'll red card. Unlike Dipu, I work with a two-strike rule at all times, though if the person is clean after a long while, I'll probably start them over like new with a yellow card again.

My section is also one where video games are often brought up, and I'll get questions regarding the features on one's DS or 3DS, for example. I typically move those over to VG, but if it involves internet connectivity, I leave those in my section.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I'd be strict and rude and infract anyone I could, thinking I was better than all the non-staffers.

Lol jk I'd be too lenient and get fired.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I probably said this before and I will say it again: being a mod is such a rewarding experience and you will learn a ton.

As a moderator for NU/W (or The Welcome Lounge now) back in 2011, when I first started I was just absolutely clueless on what I was doing. At first I thought when someone breaks a rule they must be infracted...and that's really what I did first. For my first week of modding I was just...cruel. XD I was verbally warned that I had to tone myself down a notch, and I did. For the rest of my first month of July, I had to follow what my mod partner was doing, as well as learn what other moderators of other sections were doing exactly, so that way I do not have to make those same mistakes again.

After a month on staff I realized that members look up to mods because they know their sections, and they know the basis of said section they mod. I only modded new members, so by experience from a former new member I knew how they felt when they came on PC for the first time, posting for the first time. I made sure every single new member that registered and made a thread were welcomed and hope they had a wonderful time here. I tried to be as open as possible, even during those extremely busy times when I'm only online just to take care of reports, answer PM's or take an IM or two. It was exhausting at first, but later on I've come to get used to it. Phone access and email notifications literally helped me a lot.

I don't think I've given a giant infraction in my 1 year/2 months on staff. I've probably given less than 10 yellow cards/warnings because of repeat offenders and probably less than 5 infractions. Most of the bans I've done were adbots. After my first week of modding, being told to tone it down, I took advice from smods and my mod partner Hiidoran, telling me to only warn/infract the person if they disregard your warnings. I've gone lenient then, and that was the best thing to do.

I can't...really tell you which thing I loved the most about modding. It's not the emblem-making, the usertitles, or the usual perks mods get. What I really love about it is the feeling of leadership, being a moderator taught me how to become a leader, to not be afraid of what's out there, to make decisions as they happen. It's the feeling that it warms your heart when you help someone out, knowing that they can always count on you when you help them. I've also closed threads too during my time, obviously...but I was very polite and helpful in my closing messages.

I did my time then, and it's a bit bittersweet for me to remember since it's been a year. But I've...moved on. xD

tl;dr, I was an okay moderator back then. :P

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
I'd give warnings and yellow cards to anyone I think deserves a warning. I might even just PM them with a warning. If happen to find a rule breaker that was serious immediate yellow card and yellow, if possible :3

I'd do what I was told. No exceptions. Just follow the rules..
I'd love to do that.. Anyone else?

Years
I kind of want to expand on the post that I made way back on July 2nd all of a sudden.

Yeah, I'm still quite a lenient mod as I've never really had any bad problems crop up in my area. Usually they're just things like posting spammy messages to hit 15 posts, which I usually just delete before PMing the member about it. 99% of the time they understand and apologize so things go on their merry way once again. I know some people prefer to give out official warnings rather than PM since it's easier to keep track of, but.. from personal experience I find that going with those right away might be a bit scary for new members. :( If for whatever reason someone ignored my PM warning I'd probably have to go with an official warning, though luckily that has yet to happen for me.

I'm not the type of person you can walk all over, though, I just do my best to be approachable and understanding.

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
If I ever become a Moderator, I'll be a friendly and funny Moderator.
I think I have enough spare time to handle the duties.
I won't give infractions or warnings for a simple mistake, but I'll be strict.
I love giving out emblems and closing threads with my Rizlock.

Years
If I was a Mod, I would want to be someone who people would have no struggle to approach with their queries and whatnot. I'd be friendly and probably "step up my game". If I notice any funny business, I would message the person politely telling them about what they have done, what they should do etc. I would issue infractions when I see fit, and probably wouldn't hesitate in doing so. I would want to rack up some fun things to do wherever I modded, get members together and involved.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I like to think I give modding my all. I'm probably one of the more... prudish(?) of the moderators. I like to make sure PC is a nice/safe environment for everyone.

I try to be fair though, and I've rewarded a few people with emblems over my month or two in modship.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
I honestly would enjoy being a moderator. I honestly think I'd be quite strict and straight-to-the-point as a moderator, not really going in too deep with a situation and warning a person only once, and after that infracting them if I feel they took my warning too lightly.

I honestly have no idea what it feels like to be a moderator.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I'm a man of order and rules. If something doesn't go right, I get frustrated. I'd take great care of the forum I'd be moderator of, to keep it clean and intact, and promote it with ideas for further discussion. I'd respect the members of the community, and try not to seem superior to them just because I have a bold blue name. I treat everyone equally and just how I want to be treated; I would make sure to reply to their requests and inquiries at once, as I would demand of a moderator to do. I'm usually caring and nice enough to be concerned of their problems and offer solutions or advice to them.

If I was a mod, I would want everyone in my section to be happy and satisfied with it; breaking rules is what would ruin that. Now, I dislike it when someone breaks the rules (even though I was that kind of person, sometime) and would give infractions without second thought. If I judged that the person made a one-time mistake that would never be repeated again, I would let them off with a warning.

I'm the kind of person who'd break in between arguments and put an end to them. Arguments are discussions full of negativity, and they kind of bring back the forums when they appear. I'd gladly delete whole pages of posts in a thread where two people got involved in a heated argument, and give them two infractions for spamming.

Back