• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

.:The Wonders of A-Text and unLZ GBA:.

Years
.:The Wonders of A-Text and unLZ:.
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!

Hi. Welcome to my anthology of miniature tutorials, focusing on the many possibilities with only A-Text, unLZ GBA and possibly Paint. If you already know all of this, and think that I am pointing out the obvious, just walk along. Ignore me. Okay? Now, onto the (mini) tutorials... Oh, and one last thing, I'm using FireRed for all of these. Sorry, RS/E hackers...

Default Naming Options
Rivals Name:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The Button Introduction
Spoiler:

And, to finish off, here's a few unLZ GBA offsets:
Code:
- 1695 - Bag (Male)
- 1696 - Bag (Female)
- 2009 - Titlescreen Text - Pokémon FireRed Version
- 2011 - Charizard (Titlescreen)
- 2013 - Press Start, (C) 2004 GAMEFREAK
- 191 - Worldmap -gulp-
Sorry, I know it's not much. Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Just wanted to say that replacing A and B with Z and X might not be always a good idea. Even if those are the default ones, VBA can customize then and at that point the button wouldn't match any more.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
about the button thing, I always customize my controls so they wouldn't fit! people don't always use the default settings.

Years
about the button thing, I always customize my controls so they wouldn't fit! people don't always use the default settings.

Okay, I suppose you're right. I'll post here how to repoint, but I'll also say it on the first post.

When you click Write to ROM, make sure that you've checked 'Auto Abort if new data is bigger' and 'Export Image'. If a little box pops up saying: 'Compressed size is [HEX NUMBER]. Which is too big. Aborting.' Take note of the HEX number. Now, open up Free Space Finder, and load your ROM. You'll find in the corner two little boxes, one entitled HEX, and the other DEC. In the HEX box, type in the little number that appeard on unLZ GBA. Another number will appear in the DEC box. Copy that number and paste it in the Bytes Needed part. Click Search and copy the offset that appears. Return to unLZ GBA again and, when you are writing to the ROM, type in 00[OFFSET] in the box entitled Image Offset. Click OK and hope for the best.

I'm not 100% sure if this works, but I've seen it elsewhere and it's worked so far. Please tell me if it doesn't work!

BananasGoMoo

Pokemon Electrum
Years
yea i use an XBOX 360 controller, so the original controls would actually be correct. but nice idea though.

could be helpful for replacing other things.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hey this is pretty cool! I always wondered how people changed the default Rival/Player names. I promised I'd figure it out myself with a hex editor and a table file but alas, I never got around to it :(
I already knew about the buttons but this was definitely worth reading for the name-changing thing. Well done!

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I use psp... XD

I know off topic.
In any case, it is nice to see some tutorials that work well.
These tutorials make good use of old, yet effective tools.
Bravo.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Okay, I suppose you're right. I'll post here how to repoint, but I'll also say it on the first post.

When you click Write to ROM, make sure that you've checked 'Auto Abort if new data is bigger' and 'Export Image'. If a little box pops up saying: 'Compressed size is [HEX NUMBER]. Which is too big. Aborting.' Take note of the HEX number. Now, open up Free Space Finder, and load your ROM. You'll find in the corner two little boxes, one entitled HEX, and the other DEC. In the HEX box, type in the little number that appeard on unLZ GBA. Another number will appear in the DEC box. Copy that number and paste it in the Bytes Needed part. Click Search and copy the offset that appears. Return to unLZ GBA again and, when you are writing to the ROM, type in 00[OFFSET] in the box entitled Image Offset. Click OK and hope for the best.

I'm not 100% sure if this works, but I've seen it elsewhere and it's worked so far. Please tell me if it doesn't work!

I don't know if you understood exactly, but that's not what HackMew and sab meant (unless you agreed with them and then just randomly told us how to repoint, which makes no sense at all. :/). They meant that they were using different key configurations on their computers besides the default (Z=A, X=B etc.). As an example, they could have had A=A and S=B, so a hack that tells them to press Z to talk to people just wouldn't make sense, now wouldn't it?

Of course, if you understood that beforehand and was just randomly stating how to repoint, then I apologize. ;3

Also, I liked the rest of it. ^^

Years
Heh. I suppose that was weirdly done. I was posting how to repoint because I thought sab needed to repoint and didn't know how. However, I understood what HackMew was saying.

Last edited:

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
can you tell me how to fix an A-Text problem see what ever i Change the dialog for the picture in the rival's house it is the same thing the rival will say before oak comes in the lab how can i fix it?

lilJburroughs

Ambitious Hacker
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for the name changing tutorial, i've been tryin to figure out how to do this for weeks.
but ive got a sort of dilemma here...
see, some scripts i did, i used the name "jeremy", and others, the code for the player name.
this is because i figured there would be a way to make it so the player has to use the name "jeremy".
i've set all the preset names to this, but i was wondering if there was a way around this so that the player's name is jeremy regardless,
or if you can just not give the player the option to type in their own name.

any ideas? i'd really appreciate any help on this. im dreading the idea of starting over, even though ive saved most of my scripts.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Thanks for the name changing tutorial, i've been tryin to figure out how to do this for weeks.
but ive got a sort of dilemma here...
see, some scripts i did, i used the name "jeremy", and others, the code for the player name.
this is because i figured there would be a way to make it so the player has to use the name "jeremy".
i've set all the preset names to this, but i was wondering if there was a way around this so that the player's name is jeremy regardless,
or if you can just not give the player the option to type in their own name.

any ideas? i'd really appreciate any help on this. im dreading the idea of starting over, even though ive saved most of my scripts.

How hard could it be to just edit the scripts?

lilJburroughs

Ambitious Hacker
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 19, 2012
im not really sure how to without rewriting them to the game, which i could do, but it'd be a lot easier in terms of future scripts that i wanna be able to leave alone to have it so that the intended name will appear no matter what.

i figured out a way to do it i think. im using the search function in A-Text for every time the game mentions the player name up until the point i've reached in hacking so far, and editing it that way. thanks anyways tho.

and sorry for the double post.

Last edited:
Years
Well you could just reword what Oak says and make the Player's name be used for something else, like another rival or something, and then in your scripts, not use [player], and just type in your desired name.

Another option would be to edit Oak's intro to not have the Player's naming thing, but I'm not sure how to do that, so it'd be useless for you to ask me; sorry. ):

But what you're asking isn't really relevant to the tutorial, to be honest. :/

Edit: Oh, I didn't see the post before - Ninja's and your first post - and I agree with Ninja Caterpie, that it'd be easy to just edit your scripts, and do what I said before. :/

Back