• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Was the third Generation a good idea???

Was the third Generation a good idea (pokemon)

• Heck Yeah!

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • Hex No!

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Who cares???

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters

Johnny Boy~

Bom Chika Wah Wah
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 26, 2007
Here is a thead with a poll on it about pokemon in general game disscution that, like my other 9 treads, will get closed one day... No spamming please!

Years
If you keep saying that your threads will get closed, you will breed antagonism among us who don't like being annoyed... D:

Anyways, I don't really like the Third Generation for significant reasons. One of which is that I dislike the character designs. They're... just not what I really liked. Not to mention the games that have become very anime-ish, which made me not play the games anymore. The limitted EVs were kind of a turn off for me, too...>>

Oh yeah, I moved your thread to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald discussions so that it would fit better for you.

Johnny Boy~

Bom Chika Wah Wah
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 26, 2007
correct

Youre right, it is getting animish, and i don't like that. Ruby and sapphire are not as good as generation 2

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
Years
(rubs temples) Here we go...

Geez, animeish? Hate to break it to ya, but alot of games hold an anime feel (or at least get spun-off into one) so I don't know what your trying to argue about at that point. There was more of a story in R/S than in either Generation 1 or 2. Especially Generation 2 until Crystal came along.

But let me get to the point of this topic: Yes, Generation 3 was an excellent idea. What made this game so great was it going back to basics. Pokemon has always been about battling and its Versus aspects. Game Freak came to note it wasn't about fancy (useless) new features which oversimplify rather than innovate but fighting. They dropped the Mom bank the useless day/night scenario, the time machine (compatability issues) the ablity to get more than 8 badges (which really screwed players over versus play) Giving us a deeper battle system: Personalities, ablities and EVs for those willing to sit down and work for it.

Now, for EVs we had 510 pts (255 if you choose to put into just two) to distrubute between stats hows that not enough? If you were willing to spend long amount of hours/days/weeks/months making that Pokemon level 100 why not add a few hours (days/weeks etc) to make it so your Pokemon can maniuplate that personality boost and give it a bit more power in that field. Hey you could always give it bit more power.

Adding Contests and later the Battle Tents/Frontier added a new level of depth, fun and replay value to the game creating a type of fighting outside an actual battle.

The way the game was handled, a step above the other two: Unlike G/S which had both generations running around freely;the majority of players preferred keeping generation 1 in their party. How is anyone gonna see the talents of the new guys if they have the old ones around? This time, we were FORCED to be with generation 3 until we finsihed the game (thanks to FR/LG) and met some dex requirement. Even in Emerald that was still the case.

Final things I'd like to note, the complaints of char desgins, whatever I never saw anything spectacular about any human character desgin in any Pokemon game. As for the monsters themselves, I really liked them. Though many moaned it was too digimonish, the Pokemon were closer to actual monsters parodizing real-life animals while still feeling Pokemonish. (Nothing original about giving baby forms to orginally created monsters)
Don't make note about tediousness either... ALL Pokemon games get pretty annoying about halfway.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 24, 2010
Isaac Gravity said:
(rubs temples) Here we go...

Geez, animeish? Hate to break it to ya, but alot of games hold an anime feel (or at least get spun-off into one) so I don't know what your trying to argue about at that point. There was more of a story in R/S than in either Generation 1 or 2. Especially Generation 2 until Crystal came along.

But let me get to the point of this topic: Yes, Generation 3 was an excellent idea. What made this game so great was it going back to basics. Pokemon has always been about battling and its Versus aspects. Game Freak came to note it wasn't about fancy (useless) new features which oversimplify rather than innovate but fighting. They dropped the Mom bank the useless day/night scenario, the time machine (compatability issues) the ablity to get more than 8 badges (which really screwed players over versus play) Giving us a deeper battle system: Personalities, ablities and EVs for those willing to sit down and work for it.

Now, for EVs we had 510 pts (255 if you choose to put into just two) to distrubute between stats hows that not enough? If you were willing to spend long amount of hours/days/weeks/months making that Pokemon level 100 why not add a few hours (days/weeks etc) to make it so your Pokemon can maniuplate that personality boost and give it a bit more power in that field. Hey you could always give it bit more power.

Adding Contests and later the Battle Tents/Frontier added a new level of depth, fun and replay value to the game creating a type of fighting outside an actual battle.

The way the game was handled, a step above the other two: Unlike G/S which had both generations running around freely;the majority of players preferred keeping generation 1 in their party. How is anyone gonna see the talents of the new guys if they have the old ones around? This time, we were FORCED to be with generation 3 until we finsihed the game (thanks to FR/LG) and met some dex requirement. Even in Emerald that was still the case.

Final things I'd like to note, the complaints of char desgins, whatever I never saw anything spectacular about any human character desgin in any Pokemon game. As for the monsters themselves, I really liked them. Though many moaned it was too digimonish, the Pokemon were closer to actual monsters parodizing real-life ones while still feeling Pokemonish. (Nothing original about giving baby forms to orginally created monsters)
Don't make note about tediousness either... ALL Pokemon games get pretty annoying about halfway.

I agree with all of this however as Dark Venusaur said, the kanto series was the original and the best pokemon and i do occasionally go back to playing my pokemon blue (something i havent done with any of the other pokemon series).

Johnny Boy~

Bom Chika Wah Wah
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 26, 2007
Hey, there is a remake of red and blue. It's called pokemon fire red and leaf green. So, there is no remake of blue, but green was brought back. I wish yellow came out again, called lightning yellow!!!

Johnny Boy~

Bom Chika Wah Wah
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 26, 2007
No spamming

M£A†¥, if you spam those kids will report you again and close the thread. You can get green at -link removed-, also other roms. You should really post about the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

M£A†¥

Banned
Years
con, none of my enemies are around this section!

I think the remake of Blue Verison should be called "Ocean Blue Verison," it will be a great game and hopefully it will have secret bases, contestes, and HM08 to have dive spots, and the seven islands should be bigger and have lot of more pokemon from Gold, Silver, Cystal Verison and Stadium 2.

Tbone2356

Time keeps on tickin' by
Years
I Think That The 3rd Gen Wasnt A Complete Waste. There Were Some Good Pokemon But A Few Of Them, I Admit, Were Like "Dude Where You Drunk When You Did This?"
I Think They Went A Little Overboard With The Ledgendarys I Mean, Kanto Had 5.
Johto Had 6. Hoenn Had 10.....(Some Of Them Not Very Good). I Mean The Advance Series They Had Was Good but The Pokemon In There Game Werent So Good.
I Think The Best Pokemon Generation Was Number 2, I Hope They Make A Remake Of Gen 2 Soon. Not Just Some Stupid Side Of Safari Zone Or On A Stupid Little Island.

Johnny Boy~

Bom Chika Wah Wah
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 26, 2007
Thank you for a very good post and we respect your post. If you think that the second generetion was better, than you should join the G/S/C/ pokemon club.......

Fl0W:HHGURU

Used to be pokEMOn UseR =]
Years
I got bored of pokemon blue and red to be honest, in my own personal opinion they sucked. i know for a fact others think differnt but ruby/sapphire has soo much more to do, its in colour (was pokemon blue+red in colour on GameBoy Colour i dont know). There are more pokemon to catch, more pokemon to train, more moves to teach, breading, battling, secret basses, games room, new gym leaders, berries... All this makes the past generations look boring. I cannot wait untill they release D/P there is going to be so much more cool stuff, i am going to buy a DS just to play these games.

Johnny Boy~

Bom Chika Wah Wah
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 26, 2007
Were you the one to put who cares??

Any ways, i like the originals and i love the seconds, but r/s/e is just an add on. They took out all the feutures that people loved from g/s/c and made me mad when they took out day and night...

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
Years
con said:

Any ways, i like the originals and i love the seconds, but r/s/e is just an add on. They took out all the feutures that people loved from g/s/c and made me mad when they took out day and night...

So what if he was? Didn't you make this thread to ask for others opinions, not "let's jump on the G/S/C is the greatest and series three sucks" thread?

R/S/E was NO add-on. Hoenn was a land all in itself, with no connections to the older ones. Looking outside of cheesy features, the game had a depth none of the others had. (You just had to work for/and understand it!)

I'll list for you MY thoughts on those features G/S/C had that everyone loves:

-Day and Night: Though innovative, Game Freak wasn't considerate of their older players/players who didn't have much time on their hands. So many like myself were forced to play during the night scenarios where you could hardly see anything due to the dimming of the GBC.

-The "real" feel: Taking advantage of the week with certain events that took place on certain days added a real-time flow to the game. BUT this again plays off to the point above. Many just couldn't play every day or every single time of it! I mean hey, don't we play vgs to escape reality?

-Mom bank: This feature was utterly useless. G/S/C is the easiest Pokemon game ever made (with FR/LG killing R/B for the hardest) You got cash drops from trainers and Pokemon and considering the lack of difficulty you never really had to spend much. Made no sense for your earning to be magically transported to your Mom in an open field/at sea anyway.

-Hold items: Obviously a good feature that got carried over to other games. 'Nuff said.

-Radio through Pokegear: Um, as useful as it was useless. Crystal fixed that feature and it was somewhat carried over to gen three and morphed into a new feature.

-The time machine: Giving us this feature halfway into the "main story" was a huge mistake. Again, this plays back to not only difficulty reasons but also, it down played the new Pokemon. Why use that weak Sunflora when you could transfer over that beefcake Venusaur?... That won't listen to you...

-Gender and Breeding: I played a game called Dragon Warrior Monsters for GBC. It was obvious where this was leading to... Though nice, G/S had no need for breeding (as said, it was easy and PvP was kinda lame on it) and this feature was carried over to future games where it was better taken advantage of due to all the depth change in the battle system.

-Kanto: The real "grabber" for most G/S fans. Whee, I beat the somewhat Elite Four (what happened Lance? Your monsters from R/B die forcing you to start from scratch?) and get to show my l337 skillz in Kanto and get all their badges! Let's get mah game on! Nice trip down memory lane... Even though you're stronger than everyone else and there's no challenge. Red provided a decent enough challenge... (Whitney was pretty much the most difficult fight in the game as I never expected Milktank) But still a waste.
You got 16 badges big deal? The 16 were just an unfair disadvantage to those with less than that during PvP due to the 2x effects.

If we're on subject shouldn't we say G/S is the carry over to R/B. Did nothing but cling to Kanto's glory anyway? And if that's the case any Pokemon game made after the original is nothing but an add on.

Last edited:

prolific_rhapsody

Paradox in Paradigm
Years
con said:

Well, I personally enjoy the G/S/C generation, but the third generation wasn't a BAD IDEA, per se. I have Sapphire and Leaf Green, and thos are good games; although I've only just remebered I had Leaf Green. Oops! I got lazy beating it, and I'm going to finish it. See? Third isn't so bad, when you look at it.

EDIT: But I ALSO own Pokemon Yellow and Crystal. Go figure...
Oh, and glad to see you finally learned how to start a thread, con... :shocked:

Tbone2356

Time keeps on tickin' by
Years
con said:

Dont Forget What Else They Took Out In R/S/E. Like Every Freaken Johto Pokemon. Going To A Different Region And Getting There Badges And Pokemon. Ledgendary Dogs Running Wild. National Park Contests. Radio System. In R/S There Was No Calling System. The Day-Mid Day-Night Features. There Awsome Story Line. An Able To Catch Shiny Pokemon Without The 1 In Like 1 Million Chance (Red Garaydos). Theres More But Im Tierd So Ill Just Blow Up GameFreak Tommorow And Be Done With It.

-5 Hours Later-
News Reporter: Theres A Frantic Lunatic Going Around Game Freak And Throwing Gernades At Them! We Belive Hes Threatning Them To Make A G/S/C Remake!
Oh My God HES COMING! SHUT OFF THE CAMERAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
-Technical Difficulties- -Nice Music Plays Showing Tech Diff Sign With A Puppy Eating-

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
Years
I liked the third generation. Here's why.

1. Skitty and Delcatty
  2. R/S/E is the most interesting Pokemon game I've played.
  3. SKITTY AND DELCATTY.
  4. A lot of the stuff in the game (the Gyms, the Contests, Battle Frontier, etc.) has really been etched into my head.
  5. SKITTY AND DELCATTY
  6. Made me see a lot of things I've overlooked in the past Pokemon games
  7. SKITTY AND DEL... well, you should be getting the idea

That's just only some of the things I liked about the third generations.

So, yeah. It's a great series.

Back