• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Police Rescue Malnourished Girl From Closet in Kansas City

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Police Rescue Malnourished Girl From Closet in Kansas City

A Kansas City, Mo., mother is behind bars, accused of keeping her 10-year-old daughter locked in a closet, not letting her come out to eat, sleep or even go to the bathroom.

The girl weighed just 32 pounds, and hospital records indicated that she has only gained 6 pounds since she was 4 or 5 years old, according to a police probable cause statement. The girl also suffers from "multiple healing skin injuries and failure to thrive," the statement said.

"She weighed a little over a third of what a 10-year-old should weigh," Kansas City Police Capt. Steve Young said. "We don't know how long or how frequently she's been in there [the closet], but it's clear she'd spent a significant amount of time in there."

Kansas City police met Missouri Children's Division workers outside the apartment building Friday morning after the division received a hotline call about a girl who was locked up and unable to eat or use the restroom.

When a division worker told two women outside the apartment that three children lived in the apartment, the neighbors said they had never seen the third child even though they'd lived there for "several years."

"We never knew of her the whole three years we've been down here," Kimberly Kelley, another neighbor, told ABC's affiliate in Kansas City, KMBC-TV. "She told us she only had two kids."

Officers learned the mother, Jacole Prince, 29, was out with her two younger children, but maintenance let law enforcement inside, according to the probable cause statement.

The second floor smelled strongly of urine, and when officers noticed a crib pushed against a closet door that was tied off with rope, they asked, "Is anyone in here?"

A child's voice answered, "Yes."

The girl was found standing in the closet, according to the statement. She told officers "the closet was her room," and she couldn't go to breakfast with her mother and sisters because she "messes herself." She also sleeps there, she said.

At the hospital, the child told detectives she had not been let out of the closet for two days, and she does not eat every day. She said her mother gets mad and "punches her on the back" because she "keeps peeing on herself."

She is not allowed to play outside like her sisters, and instead has to play behind the couch, the girl said.

That night, police arrested the girl's mother and her boyfriend. The mother allegedly admitted to locking her child up in part because she knows she would get in trouble if anyone saw how malnourished the girl had become, according to the statement.

Her boyfriend denied knowing the mother ever locked the 10-year-old in a closet.

The girl's mother was charged with assault in the first degree, child abuse, and endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree, according to the criminal complaint. All three charges are felonies.
Source

I was just wondering what you guys thought of this and it might bring up something interesting.

It's horrific in my opinion.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This woman doesn't deserve the title "mother." How awful. I'm glad the child has been saved and I hope she can get on the right health track and be put in a better home away from that wretched woman.

Years
Did this poor girl go to school? If she did, wouldn't someone at the school have noticed something? She must not have, which in itself is really suspect. Someone had to know this little girl was alive. Ugh. How do we let people get away with things like this?

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2012
It's crazy that people actually do these things.
I'm not sure what goes through their dang minds!
Weren't they kids once? She probably had a rough childhood.(the "Mother")

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
This is rather horrifying. How could you do something like that? It's unbelievable. I know there are probably worse fates out there for any human, but how could someone do something like this?

In agreement with Sydian, she shouldn't be allowed the "mother" title.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
That is just sickening. I really wish we didn't have people like that in this world.

Guest123_x1

This is disgusting beyond belief! I totally agree with Syd-this girl's mother doesn't even deserve that title!

Sadly, there have been other similar cases all over the place. I remember seeing an episode of Dr. Phil several months back covering a similar story about another girl being locked in a closet for years suffering similar neglect and torture before being discovered.
There was also an episode of The Steve Wilkos Show quite awhile back covering another case of such abuse-a 3-year old boy locked in a bedroom, in which there were no lights (the bulbs were removed so that he couldn't turn the light on), the windows were covered, he shredded his diapers and climbed out of his crib, and even got shocks from sticking items in electrical outlets.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Did this poor girl go to school? If she did, wouldn't someone at the school have noticed something? She must not have, which in itself is really suspect. Someone had to know this little girl was alive. Ugh. How do we let people get away with things like this?

I'm wondering that too, no one really knows how long she was locked up in the closet. She probably was let out every once in a while, cause she was still alive.
Though if she went to school, should probably was fed. Her "mother" probably kept her home a lot, told the school she was sick. I still don't know why no one noticed how skinny she was.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
I'm wondering that too, no one really knows how long she was locked up in the closet. She probably was let out every once in a while, cause she was still alive.
Though if she went to school, should probably was fed. Her "mother" probably kept her home a lot, told the school she was sick. I still don't know why no one noticed how skinny she was.
I wouldn't be surprised if no one knew she even existed. What if she was kept in the house at all times, and was born under questionable circumstances?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I'm just wondering why she did it. Yeah, it's bad and all, but she clearly knows what she's doing is wrong and she apparently managed to raise two daughters fine, so what exactly did the third daughter do to get this kind of punishment?

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2012
People like this are the fetid and revolting vomit of humanities moral and ethical illness, nothing but a putrid disease. Those who mistreat their children or abuse anything living depress and anger me greatly. </3

I'm surprised authorities weren't notified sooner. If the neighbors knew they had 2 kids and one was missing for even a few weeks, I'd be wondering what happened.

You've misread the report.
Told about 2 kids, in actuality the 'mother' had 3.

What provokes my curiosity is the denial of the boyfriend and the neighbours. Depends on the distance she maintained with both, and the relation the former shared, but still worth looking into.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Can't be bothered looking up the story, but I think in the 70's there was a similar case of this. I read it in my sociology book. A girl was left in a bedroom alone for years and years by her father who thought she was intellectually impaired (or, at that time, mentally retarded) and was rarely fed, she would have to use the bathroom on herself, and she was abused. Her mother was blind and also was abused and wasn't allowed to ever leave the house, so there wasn't much she could do either. But the girl was so socially wrecked that when they did rescue her, she just didn't know how to communicate with other humans. I think at age 13, she would like...yell out a lot, masturbate in public, etc and I think she died not too long after that age. So, at least this girl seems to at least be able to communicate and such. But yeah, this unfortunately has been happening a long time.

Abi~

-insert title here?-
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
This... this is horrible. Several people have said she doesn't deserve the mother title, and I can't help but agree. Just because she gave birth to a child doesn't mean she deserves the title.

Anyway, I hope they can get the girl back into decent health, and I also hope she wasn't in the closet too long, because I've heard of cases where children were kept from other people so long that they were unable to learn basic social skills and whatnot.

NatureKeeper

Wow. This is one of the most malignant and demonic acts I've ever seen in my life.

Years
Disgusting. I would not be surprised if the mother in the case was mentally ill in some way, only real way to explain such depravity. It's a miracle that the girl is even alive at all.

Back