• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon Black 2 a bit early

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 1, 2023
I happened to come across this on 4chan's video game board. From what op said, he got it from GameStop a bit early since he's employee there.

That said, I just thought I'd share this little discovery.

Spoiler:

There was also another image he took which confirmed the female protagonists name as "Rosa"

EDIT: managed to find the other image he posted.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirfetch’d

It is highly unlikely. That is probably just a display case for presales. No employee at a gamestop will get it this early.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
agree on the above statement. i believe this is just a showcase and if he was to get that game for himself before it's official release, wouldn't this raise questions such as "How come that guy got the game WAY before it's out"?

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
Depending on how willing they are to break the rules at the store, it is not uncommon to get a popular game like this up to two weeks early. They probably let the store employee have the game early, and then they'll pay for it on the release date (I've heard of this happening before).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If the Employee has Pre-ordered and completely paid it off, they can actually take the games out of the inventory for themselves. They just have to actually sell it when the release day happens. But this only works for games they actually bought.

They can also borrow their own game merchandise to play at anytime. I ended up buying a DS game that the manager at the one I usually go to forgot to reset so I got to play from his save file on that game before I reset it for my own playthrough XD

We also have had our copies of B2/W2 in store for a week now. I just can't do what gamestop does since I work at Toys R Us.

Also the display cases all have RP as the Game rating. Even when we know what the rating is. Since his says E good odds its legit.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I had an online friend that worked at a Gamestop that did a livestream of him playing Black early, so this is more than likely true.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Man! I prepaid for it. Wish i could get it before release day. Id think they would get it before release day so they can set it up and such

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
It's been awhile, but if I remember right I pre-ordered Colosseum off Amazon(which is the only game I have ever pre-ordered) and it came in a week before the release date. Which surprised me, if not a week then three days. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised, I have known a couple guys working for Gamestop over the years that have had them available before the official release date.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
It's been awhile, but if I remember right I pre-ordered Colosseum off Amazon(which is the only game I have ever pre-ordered) and it came in a week before the release date. Which surprised me, if not a week then three days. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised, I have known a couple guys working for Gamestop over the years that have had them available before the official release date.

I dont know anyone from Gamestop :\. Should put in working there

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
Years
If you are refering to region lock, they are locked. If not can you elaborate on what you mean?

I do mean region lock.

English Black & White 1 games had a region code of TWL-IRBO and TWL-IRAO across all international versions except for the Japanese and Korean games, and both my NA imports of Black & White worked fine on my European DSi and 3DS Console.

I've seen an NA copy of White 2 have the region code TWL-IRDO. If this was region locked, then the ID number would likely have the letter E (for American copies) or P (for European copies) replacing the letter O. As so far this has remain consistent, then I think it's likely that they handled distribution the same as in Black & White 1, meaning it's probably region free and will work on atleast European DSi and 3DS consoles, regardless of where it was purchased. I had both an EUR and USA copy of Black and they were identical, bit-for-bit, had the same game ID on the box and even had NoA and NoE's name appear in the credits.

Japanese (and I assume Korean) copies will always be region locked though. They have their distinctive region codes (J for Japan and K for Korean).

I assume Black 2's English ID is TWL-IREO. This will likely be the same across all regions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 7, 2012
Now it is crystal clear for the community members, this was well explained, but I am not quite sure about whether its same for every region.

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
Years
Now it is crystal clear for the community members, this was well explained, but I am not quite sure about whether its same for every region.

If this was directed at me, then I believe this is just an exception for the mainline Pokemon games (atleast for the DS). As of right now, all mainline Pokemon games have been region free (for international games atleast), and I didn't see them changing this with Black & White 2, they might change this with the 3DS games but there is nothing to worry about (for now).

Also, I read here that German Pokemon games worked on other nation DSi and 3DS consoles.

If not, then ignore this.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I do mean region lock.

English Black & White 1 games had a region code of TWL-IRBO and TWL-IRAO across all international versions except for the Japanese and Korean games, and both my NA imports of Black & White worked fine on my European DSi and 3DS Console.

I've seen an NA copy of White 2 have the region code TWL-IRDO. If this was region locked, then the ID number would likely have the letter E (for American copies) or P (for European copies) replacing the letter O. As so far this has remain consistent, then I think it's likely that they handled distribution the same as in Black & White 1, meaning it's probably region free and will work on atleast European DSi and 3DS consoles, regardless of where it was purchased. I had both an EUR and USA copy of Black and they were identical, bit-for-bit, had the same game ID on the box and even had NoA and NoE's name appear in the credits.

Japanese (and I assume Korean) copies will always be region locked though. They have their distinctive region codes (J for Japan and K for Korean).

I assume Black 2's English ID is TWL-IREO. This will likely be the same across all regions.

As far as I know they are region locked. Some members have japanese copies and can't play them on american dsi series. I think they said they were region locked in the interview too. I'd have to dig around.

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
Years
As far as I know they are region locked. Some members have japanese copies and can't play them on american dsi series. I think they said they were region locked in the interview too. I'd have to dig around.
Yes, and as I said in my second post, the Japanese copies of BW1 (and probably Korean games) and BW2 are region locked. This was mentioned on Siliconera for BW1 and Play Asia confirmed that they are region locked for both series, I am not disputing that.

My main focus are on the international versions, so America, Europe and Australia. With BW1, those games were region free on DSi and 3DS consoles (and I can confirm that with 100% certainty), and based on what I've seen, it's likely these games will also be region free as they have the same region code as BW1. : |

That is what I'm trying to say here.

Last edited:
Back