• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Duality

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
Due to some persuasion from my original hack thread, I have decided to give a try to doing my original hack idea, one which I have had planned in my mind for far longer than I have known of hacking (once upon a time thinking of it as what kind of Pokémon Game I would make if given the chance), and so I present to you; Pokémon: Duality

The Story:

The Kysho region is known to be a peaceful and prosperous group of islands to the west of the Orange Archipelago. Boasting a semi-tropical climate, complete with Jungles, warm oceans and small deserts, the region has become a popular destination for tourists, explorers and Pokémon Trainers alike, the most popular attraction being the famous Ensemble Pokémon Championship.

Living on the center island of the Kysho region, in a settlement called Windchime Village lives a person of 17 years of age, the hero/heroine of this story. This hero works for the town as a delivery boy/girl, taking parcels back and forth between Windchime and the nearby Ocarina Port. The hero never had much interest in becoming a Pokémon Trainer, in fact, it currently had little interest in anything other than its Wii, its job, and friend Samantha.

All that was about to change on a fateful visit to Ocarina Port to retrieve a package for the Pokémon scientist in the village known as Professor Redwood. An Oil Spillage had struck the port, and the port was utterly deserted except for curious looking Grimer roaming the streets. Why had this happened? Would our hero form an interest in Pokémon Training? Will the Wii ever be turned off? Only time will tell!

Hopefully Added Features:

- A new rival, and a bunch of new semi-rivals.
- Set 7 years after the time of Pokémon Red and Blue.
- An entire new region to explore; the islands of Kysho.
- 8 new gyms to face off against, featuring a more difficult style to their battling. One of the Gyms being a Dark Gym.
- Expanded Routes; wider routes, allowing more ways to reach the next gym.
- Larger biodiversity; No more finding only Pidgey's and Rattata's on Route 1, find Pokémon herbivores and carnivores suiting each route.
- A dark story centered upon a recurrance of experiments upon Pokémon.
- A new style to the Pokémon League; no more Elite Four.
- A new elemental type; Oil.
- Some new Pokémon, as well as editting the types of some to be more fitting of their nature. E.G. Golduck becoming a Water/Psychic type.
- Editted Move Lists for the current Pokémon, to make some of them have more use.

Screenshots:

my.php
threadpic1.jpg
threadpic1.jpg
threadpic2.jpg
threadpic3.jpg
threadpic4.png
threadpic5.png
threadpic6.png

Notes:

I shall be doing mapping, spriting, storywork, and so forth. Only thing I cannot do is Scripting, which I will hopefully get some help upon. My aim is to do the maps up to the first gym and get that playable.

Route 1 Information

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Well, it actually looks pretty cool. The only thing is I would hope that you say that you do something that makes you want to train Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
That's really good.I hope you do good with this hack.
But the event is not soooo amazing,and i think its not good to put your name in the hack. wish you luck.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
The name is fine to have, since it's not forced upon the player, they are able to change it as normal, just it will be one of the pre-added names available to the person who plays. And the event may not seem so amazing, but then if I went into details over the event, it would spoil the beginning, which I do not think is worth doing at all. Thanks for the support though.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
You never know, that may be added. Though in my current designs, it is unlikely, but we shall see.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2009
I think it has the potential to turn out really great, if you just work hard on it and don't give up! You've got a lot of good ideas and I'm sure for such a lengthy project the ones you've listed now will turn out as only the tip of the iceberg as you go along. Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
Thanks! Oh, by the way, last night I updated the first post to contain three pictures of the starter town which is called "Windchime Village". I have the interiors of most of the buildings complete, except for the "White Stantler" Pub, and the shed behind your rival's house. Afterwards, I will map out enough of Route 1 to get to Ocarina Port, and then map that out.

Also, other progress comes from the fact that I managed a few successful signpost scripts, which is one step on the road to learning how to script properly. I have also decided what all the gyms are, what Pokemon the leaders use, and also their moves. This, and a basic version of the "larger biodiversity" thing have been thought upon and designed somewhat. The gyms are as follows:

1. Ice
2. Ghost
3. Bug/Grass
4. Dark
5. Steel/Fire
6. Fighting
7. Psychic
8. Double Team

Last edited:

Khadhar

Life just handed you lemons
Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2010
As I've been involved in this hack to a degree, I thought I'd come along and post a few sketches of some of the new pokemon we hope to introduce:
Leafitar, a grass type lizard pokemon, with a three stage evolutionary chain that evolves into sauropod style pokemon Cyciros and Saropalm, and Eremite, a small, two stage bug/psychic pokemon, which evolves into the much larger Scarascry.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
The Fire Red XP hack was merely an attempt at getting some of my ideas together which were originally destined for this hack. It was poor in comparison, but this will not be poor, and neither will I give it up lightly.

Oh, and thank you Khadhar for putting those pictures up.

On another note, I have done work on the small part of Route 1 which you will bare witness to before you start your attempt towards the Pokémon League. This is how it looks currently:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Just to let you know, the grass tiles with the shadow elipse shapes in them are for hidden items, not normally for random grass. :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
They are? Whoops! I just thought they looked like slightly wilder normal grass tiles. I shall amend those right away!

On the whole though, was the map alright? I was attempting to move away from the more square maps you see in Pokémon Fire-Red, something alittle more natural.

Edit: With my tinkering, I have discovered abit of a sneaky method to getting 17 pokemon slots on Advance Map instead of the usual 12 for Grass. Meaning I can hopefully make my ecosystems feel abit more 'real'.

Edit 2: After some consideration, I have decided to remove a teeny portion of the overall storyline to allow gender choice at the beginning of the game. So, look forward to some new sprites in time.

Last edited:

Druyii

The Bringer of Hope
Years
I really like the look of this hack, and the ideas are great. Good luck with it. By the way, I like Eremite the most, looks awesome ;) I'm not getting any progress with my hack at the moment, but at least you are.

Good luck with this mate

Druyii

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
I love Eremite as well, though Leafitar is my personal favourite. Khadhar has a knack for designing pokémon!

An update I have, is that my new wider world will offer 3 "routes" to getting to each gym. Each of the three routes offering different pluses and minuses to their use. The three differences are easily present on the first route, as I shall explain below:

The Southern Route to Dramyin Town (the first gym) is easier to navigate and has more Pokémon Trainers to battle, however, wild pokémon in the southern route are very common types. It is the easiest route to Dramyin.

The North Route to Dramyin Town is the hardest to navigate, has the fewest trainers (possibly none), but as stronger wild pokémon and some rarer ones. It is the hardest route to Dramyin Town.

The Middle Route to Dramyin Town is in between the two. It has a mixture of medium navigation, some common and some rare pokémon. It is pretty much equal to a normal route in other Pokémon games. However, the bonus to coming this way is the small caves which litter to route, offering the promise of some hidden items and other pokémon.

I am hoping that this split route system will allow people to have more fun training for the upcoming gym, and more fun whilst exploring the region of Kysho.

Druyii

The Bringer of Hope
Years
That idea should help the game progress nicely as far as expanding the dex is concerned and training, I think that having some variety is good in a game. I like it, maybe I should ask Khadhar if he could help me in my hack by creating a few new mons that I could add to the game, as I only have one new pokemon for the game atm, which is my avatar, pikalord ;)

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
Pikalord? I was expecting it to be called a Wailachu :D. I like it. Though, I cannot comment for Khadhar, I know he is drawing up things such as the new pokemon and probably the looks of the new trainers for my hack, but I cannot comment over whether he would help another.

I agree on that having variety is good in a game, and from my latest count, there will be quite some variety before the first gym, which I think is much needed in the new style of gym battles.

Druyii

The Bringer of Hope
Years
It reminds me of the Battle Pike in Emerald when you choose from three rooms to enter, which ones the wisest choice...

Na, I like the sound of it, and hope to see the rom out soon ;)

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2017
Hehe, as do I! Though currently I am a tad stuck on the beginning of my hack, just needing to know how to get a message box to appear as soon as the game starts (just after the naming parts). Hopefully a response will be given in the simple questions thread soonish.

Druyii

The Bringer of Hope
Years
Try looking in the Tutorial section of the game development area, that's where I'm headed right now as a matter of fact

Back