• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon World Tournament

Years
Since the old thread got closed due to a pointless thread revival, I'm gonna remake this.

In Black 2 and White 2, south of Driftveil City in place of Cold Storage is a new facility called the Pokemon World Tournament, known as PWT for short. It may look like your stereotypical battle facility but think again, you'll be able to fight Gym Leaders and Champions from previous generations! That's right, all Gym Leaders and Champions from past games (excluding Iris and Koga) can be battled, even including the great Red himself.

The PWT has several tournaments, such as the Driftveil Tournament (which you compete in in the main story), Rental Tournaments, Mix Tournaments, Download Tournaments and, in the post-game, the various Leaders Tournaments (one for each region, alongside one where all Gym Leaders are featured, and even Bianca appears for some odd reason) and eventually, the Champion Tournament, which includes all past-gen Champions (Alder, Lance, Blue, Red, Cynthia, Steven and Wallace). All tournaments can be participated in as Single, Double, Triple and Rotation Battles.

What were your thoughts on the PWT? Did you like the various tournaments? Did you download any tournaments when they were being distributed? Did you think the inclusion of past-gen Gym Leaders and Champions gave fans that nostalgia feeling? Would you like to see a facility like the PWT implemented in future games?

Share your thoughts!

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I like the World Tournament but the only thing I don't like about is the fact I haven't won any of the tournaments yet except the Driftveil one that you do on your first visit. I lose everyone. ;~~; I don't know if it's bad luck, or that I'm not a good competitive battler, but I'm usually pretty good at the battle places in the games. (Like Battle Frontier, Battle Subway and Battle Hall like things.) I still haven't beaten the main game yet so atm, I can only do the Driftveil Tournament, Rental, Mix and Download. though I can't wait to do some of the Gym Leader and Champion tournaments so I can battle my favorite Gym leaders from past-gens again. Does really give you nostalgia. So far the only tournament I've downloaded only one tournament and that was the for the Junior Division Challenge for the 2012 Worlds Championships. Considering these contests were all children under 10, I thought it be easy, since they're just kids in real life, but I lost to the first person.:( Maybe it's something I'm not good at but I want to keep trying till I win at least one!

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
They are a pretty interesting touch and I would love to see them in future games! In particular, I have had a blast playing some of the imported jap tournaments that I injected directly into my save like You Can Challenge the Unova League Too! Downloads? Technically, I have all of them all and can switch between them three at a time as needed since I tend to check a certain thread somewhere else every now and then and snag the extracted files from there.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I know this might not make me sound like much of a fan of the series, but the PWT is the one thing in the series that finally got me to complete the Pokedex. Crazy sounding, I know, but the type expert tournaments made me go out of my way to try out every Pokemon of every type to nail the perfect team for each type tourney. Such a fun addition, and I want so much more of it in gen 6.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
PWT is one great feature in Black and White 2. Having able to battle with Gym Leaders from various regions and even Champions there make me like this feature more, because it relieves my past moments of battling them.

Toko

Forest Dweller
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2021
Don't get me wrong, I like the PTW but I expected a bit more variation. Once you battled each of the champions once, it gets kind of dull hearing them say the same stuff over and over again. The creators could have added a few more dialogues per gym leader, champion etc.
Also, it is quite easy to beat. I expected something that would be very difficult and I'm not even a good competitive battler.
The only reason why it might sound like a negative opinion of the PWT is because it was the feature I was looking forward to the most.
A good thing to note is that we do get to fight and see everyone again. Even though Red for example is just weak and doesn't do his reputation any justice.

My suggestion for the next PWT feature: Have at least 15 sentences for each person in it so it doesn't get too dull and give the opportunity to set the difficulty higher for those who might find it too easy.

Last edited:

Pikapia

The One Who Will Destroy Everything
Years
Wow, I didn't even know about the Champions and Gym Leaders that could turn up! I mean, I've seen a screenshot of all the Champions together, but I thought it was Photoshopped! :pink_tongue: I probably won't be doing it for a while though - I barely got past the first tournament (the one with Cress and Hugh)! But I'll train hard and hope not to run into a Water/Psychic Pokémon! :t201-p: :t201-w: :t201-t: :t201-!:

bradenm

Wheelie say find friends today
Years
I'm with Pikapia! Didn't even know about this! Gonna boot up Black 2 again and go check this out! Battling Red? (gold nostalgia moment) So keen!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really like the tournaments, just because it's fun to see the old leading figures and especially have a Sprite upgrade for everybody (there I said it) :)

I would have liked them to be 6v6 instead of just 3v3 and maybe a little bit longer because after a while it kind of seems like an inferior Battle Tower, but overall it's a very nice feature. Good job, Gamefreak!

Back