• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Say Amen

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
well i see it in a different way cuz you don't have to be relegious to ask god something you want cuz either way he listens! either way you're a sinner or not

when you have a friend or a sibling or even yourself having a hard time in life then you say.."Dear God,i know you hear me,please help "mention the name" with what they're facing now..protect them and keep them safe,healthy and happy,what ever you wish ..etc

this kind of prayers,you don't have to be religious to pray it ..as much as you love that person you just go ask something for them hoping for it to happen..it's not hypocrite it's not silly...it's something you do from your heart..even people who don't believe in that..it would mean much to the person you pray for...this is what i meant when i said you don't have to be religious to pray.

This whole post is coming from a belief that God (or any god) exists or is out there in some form, whereas I'm of the belief that the God we're thinking of simply doesn't exist. You don't have to be religious to pray, correct, but the act of prayer is a religious thing itself.

waterworks

Previously Fireworks
Years
I went to a catholic primary school, and we had to do prayers whenever we came into the class, but I'm not religious so since I've left there no I don't pray.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
This whole post is coming from a belief that God (or any god) exists or is out there in some form, whereas I'm of the belief that the God we're thinking of simply doesn't exist. You don't have to be religious to pray, correct, but the act of prayer is a religious thing itself.

if you believe he doesn't exists doesn't mean he doesn't! ^^

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I'm more religious than anyone realizes. I don't tell people about it. I don't discuss religion.
Before I was a teenager, though, I didn't really care. I played along with my family's beliefs, but they didn't mean much to me. Somehow, it took until I began to doubt what I believed, before I actually cared.

Now then.

-Yes
-I don't know
-Yes
-That it's annoying when people constantly tell you to do so. Or pretty much force you to let them pray (out loud) for you. The latter just because it brings back memories I really would like to forget.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
-That it's annoying when people constantly tell you to do so. Or pretty much force you to let them pray (out loud) for you. The latter just because it brings back memories I really would like to forget.

True,that's why i believe understanding the religion comes first before believeing...cuz you can't force someone to believe,it's a choice.

Years
I don't pray anymore because I'm not religious in the slightest.

When I was in high school and college, I used to pray at night about whatever was on my mind. And honestly, there's sometimes when things go wrong in life where I'm tempted to pray everything goes okay. But in my opinion, praying doesn't do anything. So I don't.

I've got nothing against people who do. It's just not for me.

tnfsf11

Exactly! I can put it that way:
-Prayer: You believe in God & want Him to do something for you.
-Wish: You don't believe in God & want something to happen but you're not addressing anyone.

Like the OP asked though, has anyone believed their prayers have been answered?
Yes my prayers get answered most of the time, because usually if I want something I ask God to help me & make a way & stuff then I go make it happen, that's if I'm not up to mkischief & want something good, if there's nothing I can do about something (like make someone get well) I just pray that it happens.

As for
your family could be horribly murdered in an incident and your lifetime of praying wouldn't of came into play at all. sorry if it sounds harsh. but its true.
Actually I have to disagree, praying that bad things don't happen DOES prevent them, if you're a good person that won't harm others then God will protect you & your loved ones, if you aren't then God may or may not make bad things happen to you, we can't say that someone died because he didn't pray but sometimes death is a punishment & we both know that...
The true punishment though is in the after-life (as I personally believe) when God will judge all your doings & reward or punish you, but that's JUST my belief.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I don't pray, I'm not really a religious person anymore(I was as a kid). Sometimes I will believe and hope for things, but not actually sit down and pray for something to happen.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I used to pray with my parents because they always brought me to church or my dad's gnosis sessions. But as I grew older, I just didn't belive that a higher being could control what happens to me in my life and that everything that happens to me was because of my doing. I just prefer to tell myself that I have complete control of my life and not someone else.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I pray, in an attempt to make myself feel better in times of extraordinary hardship and distress.

I am not religious, at all. And I scoff at the belief that prayer is inherently religious. It seems that many of you are not separating religiousness from spirituality. I am a very spiritual person, and I am open to the possibilities of things that I cannot see existing in this world. So when I pray, I don't pray to a single entity or god, I pray to whatever might be listening that could have the power to help me.

But does that mean that I am a coward, or that I am weak? Ha! Of course not, because I still do everything in my own power to better my life and my situation.

Years
I wouldn't consider myself religious, and have only prayed for two things in my life (both involving medical situations, including once when my good friend of mine went into a coma). I can't say as I was praying to anyone or anything in particular, but it was more so to keep hope that things would work out in the end, and thankfully, both times they did.

That being said, whether or not you're religious, prayer can be effective. I've always felt that it's along the same line as meditation- it's a great tool that can boost your own faith and morale, even if others find it useless. It also gives you time to reflect on what's been happening and what's important to you, and I commend those that take time out of their day to do it, even if I don't myself.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I was really desperate for something to come to pass when I was around 11 years old, so I subscribed to the belief in a God and prayed every night that it would happen. After about two months, I realised my efforts were futile, and the failure of this supposedly omnipresent God to answer my call made me slip into an irreparable atheistic belief system.

I haven't prayed at all for the past three years, and I don't think I will. I see no use in praying to a non-existent deity, and I don't feel any better after praying, even if it's to a bleak nothingness. My faith in something is boosted by evidence to support that it will succeed or come to pass, not by prayer or anything like that.

Years
As a Christian, I'm not much of a prayer, as I do not really pray at home or anywhere else. Only at my church do I pray because at least it is the appropriate place and time to do so.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
All of my pre-university education was made up of Catholic schools, so I've been surrounded by prayers for as long as I can remember. I'd do them when everyone else did (in mass, at the end of the day, and at the end of certain classes depending on if the teacher was religious or not), but I never really believed any of it. It was just going through the motions. Outside of school, I'll have facetiously prayed once or twice but... me and the big man up there don't really have much of a relationship, I gotta say! :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
No, I don't pray. Prayer, aside from religious tradition, is wanting something to happen without working for it or simply not allowing nature take its course. I want many things to happen, but most of those things I logically push aside because there's no evidence or support for its occurrence or it's simply improbable and I know my prayer isn't going to increase my chances.

In the eye of science, you're just saying words. Those words don't travel to some entity and allow your desires to come true. The vibrations emitted wither away. There are plenty of people who pray in dire situation, like they're stranded in the woods on the brink of starvation and are praying to be rescued, but nothing happens and they die. There are people whose families are in pain and they're praying for them, but their families die. All of these terrible things can never get answered, so I'm sure whoever's supposed to answer my little and selfish prayers isn't going to if they're not even answering the bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I pray when I wake up and before I go to sleep, I don't pray for anything really, just being thankful for what I have is enough. I pray by reciting verses from the holy book of my religion and continuously memorize more as days go on...

I'm meant to be praying 5 times a day (which is carried out differently), however I lack the knowledge, but I'll be learning soon enough. ^_^

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Im not religious so I don't pray, I understand that it's an important part of some people's lives though and they do believe it helps them and other people, so it's perfectly fine if you believe in a higher power to do so.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
well,i kept replying people but never replied my own question!!

Yup,i pray ..i'm a Muslim and i pray five times during the day..early morning (dawn) and noon and afternoon before the sunset...and after the sunset then at night...what Christians call prayer we Muslims call it Du'a and yup,i like to pray(Du'a) for my family,my friends and the person i love...and even for strangers who needs it..sometimes for people in general....and surprisingly it works with me because i deeply believe in that ^^

prayer always makes me happy even while i'm worried or sad or annoyed...because i know that the person i'm worried about or me or whoever or whatever i pray for...have someone up there taking a good care of them and protecting them..so yeah,i'm a prayerer ^.^

Back