• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sugar coating.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Do you sugar coat things to prevent hurting feelings? How often do you do that? If not, why don't you?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I try to sugar coat things if I know they'll be upsetting or make the other person feel self-concious, but people irl know me as being slightly blunt with my sense of humour so I've been told they just take what I say as a joke anyway if it's offensive. :p

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
Entirely depends on who the person is, like if they're close or someone I hardly know. If it's about a serious issue like their health/weight then I'll be blunt as all hell, and to be honest I'm usually blunt about most things. Sugarcoating just doesn't solve the problem.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Ugh, yeah. I do. I hate to hurt peoples feelings, im not one to be harsh.

Years
When I'm not careful I'm pretty blunt, but I try to be tactful most of the time because it just makes things easier.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Sugarcoat by Breaking Benjamin?

I do often, yeah. Mainly to people I either don't know well enough, or people I really really like. For the former, I don't know how they'd react to my being blunt, so I sugarcoat it and yeah, hopefully they get the message. The latter, I just could never be mean to.

If it's my friends though, I'm blunter then blunt trauma. Harharhar science jokes.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
I try my best to be honest even if it turns out brutal. Typical answers from me include: How was the trip? Boring and it feels like I threw a bunch of money away. Who are you voting for? Nobody because I can't stand both of them. What do you think of my cooking? Made me feel nauseous. Perfume? Your new vial smells like roadkill but I do enjoy the other one that smells like roses so it would be best to go back to rose scent.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I don't sugar coat things. While I try to make everyone equally happy, I won't throw a blanket over my opinion to spare some tears.

Crux

Evermore
Years
In truth I tend to be pretty stone hearted in real life,so yes I am generally rather blunt.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm big on sugar coating. Bluntness is one quality I can't stand in a person. There is a difference between being honest and being a dick, and bluntness is that difference. There is a way to be honest without broadcasting your complete lack of regard for other people's feelings.

What I also can't stand is the way people who are blunt tend to champion themselves for it, as though "telling it like it is" is some great public service they're performing. Get some tact or get away from me.

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
I'd only sugar coat if they were very young or very old to spare them from whatever it is.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I do have a habit of doing this, I'm usually very careful about what I say to people because I hate hurting their feelings and am constantly afraid they will get mad.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
I tend to be blunt to a fault, but I do try to have some tact depending on how I can word something or who I'm speaking to for the purpose of lightening the weight on something depressing. It may take a while to come up with the proper wording, but I can usually do it unless it's something that can only be taken care of with a "you're fatter than Albert" attitude.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I try to be honest, but at the same time, I'm not afraid to omit details that might upset someone. I can go off ranting a lot and spill some truth in the process, but what they don't know won't hurt 'em. Sugarcoating isn't always necessary. It's really a situational thing. I'm happy I'm not the only one saying that. Empathy is really important, and it took me a while to learn it too. Now... I see the lack of it everywhere. It's tragic. Am I a curse or something?

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
I wish I were more blunt. Of course, when I do decide to be blunt, people say I come off as being cruel. I kinda like that though.

Back