• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Fossils!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Bag_Helix_Fossil_Sprite.png
Bag_Dome_Fossil_Sprite.png
Bag_Old_Amber_Sprite.png

There are three fossils in FRLG, two of which you must only choose one of. So which fossil is your favorite? Did you pick the Helix Fossil, which becomes Omanyte, or the Dome Fossil, which becomes Kabuto? And did you ever bother with the Old Amber to get Aerodactyl? Which is the best Pokemon to come out of these fossils?

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I chose Omanyte the first time around, but eventually traded a Kabuto over from my other game so I had both. And I got the Old Amber and had it resurrected, but then I put it in the daycare south of Cerulean and forgot about it until it was at level 39... :P

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually pick the Dome Fossil, since I think Kabutops has a better design than Omastar. I usually forget about picking up the Old Amber, but I do remember I used Aerodactyl once and enjoyed it. Kabutops is my favorite of the three, and I think out of the fossil design, the Old Amber looks the best...even though it looks like an evolutionary stone and not a fossil haha.

Years
I went with the Dome Fossil and Kabuto(ps), knowing that my cousin had already taken the Helix Fossil, and that we'd trade later on. I never really used it, and actually left it in the Day Care for quite a while just so it would level up while I was doing other things, and could evolve it for my Pokedex when I took it out.

I also forgot about the Old Amber for a long time, even after I'd long beaten the game. When I was trying to complete my Pokedex, I realized that it was one of about only 10 that I had left, and that's when it clued in I didn't have the Old Amber. I never ended up using Aerodactyl either, so it just sat in the box as soon as I got it back.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2013
For Fire red I chose the dome fossil but leaf green I chose the other one but i like the amber because I like aerodactyl

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I chose the Dome Fossil. I've always like Kabuto better than the others, mainly cause I like how amazing it's evolution is, but also due to the amount of help it brought to my team after I trained it up.

I picked up the old Amber, but I never really use Aerodactyl, so not much help there.

Sirfetch’d

I really like all 3 of these, but between the Dome and Helix I chose the Helix fossil because I like Omanyte a little more.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Spr_3f_142.png

I just loved Aerodactyl's sprite in this game. I made sure to pick up my free Aero whenever I played FRLG. I always picked Dome Fossil because Kabutops's cool blades appealed to me more, d'oh. I traded for an Omastar at school.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
Kabutops looks cooler therefore him.

Aerodactyl is one of my favorite to train though, especially when I'm into my flying types and I take and all flying type through the E4.

Never have found any use for Omastar yet but eventually I'll add him in somewhere.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I only took the Old Amber a few times, to be honest I've never used that Aerodactyl.
I had a very hard time grinding it.
And I always pick the Dome Fossil cause I hate Omanyte as well as Omastar.
I've always liked Kabutops, but I never used it.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
I have not yet chosen my own fossils. I have both FireRed and LeafGreen and am planning to get one fossil on one game, and the other on the other, but I can't really decide.

My starter Pokemon is Bulbasaur on FireRed, but on LeafGreen, my starter is Charmander.

SonOfASubmariner

Not the only one with an avatar R/B Golbat related
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 19, 2017
Helix Fossil and Old Amber for me.

I just like to use Omastar's Water moves better than Kabutops' Water moves, because of Omastar having higher Sp.Atk than Kabutops.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Since gen one I've most of the time chosen the Dome Fossil, mainly because I like Kabuto/Kabutops a little more. I'm thinking if I should choose the Helix Fossil the next time I play the game, though.

I've always taken the Old Amber an I even had an high leveled Aerodactyl, since it's typeing is quiet useful.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
First playthrough I picked the Helix Fossil as I had no prior knowledge of what they became and it was first one I went to. Old Amber I always get now I know where it is (well, knew - I don't any more) as Aerodactyl is the best one of the lot, and I like all dragon-like pokémon.

Years
I usually went for Helix simply because I preferred the way it sounded. Plus Omastar was slightly better than Kabutops since the physical/special split hadn't happened yet.

Back