• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen A question of strength

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2006
I am currently traing a Rhydon to L50 to be my power attacker for my 3 pokemon team for battle frontier.

I was just wandering what you all think would have a better attack stat?

I've used Aggron, and Tyranitar in the past on other games and teams.

I just like to use pokemon I haven't used in the past.

Feel free to add any normal, fighting, rock, ground types.

My rhydon will have

Earthquake
body slam
rock slide
focus punch

Yes she is an attack machine.

My other 2 pokemon is a Magmar, and a Wailord which I'm very happy with!

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
Umm... Shouldn't this be in Strategy and Movesets? If you're asking about things concerning Pokemon moves and stats it should really go there.

What about Onix or Steelix? I think they're best because of their speed (I always tend to use Golem) and no-one seems to use it. <pouts>

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Rhydon is very cool, although you'll need to build your team around him only because of his heavy double weaknesses to Grass and Water. Anyway, as for moveset:

Rhydon@Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EV: 100 HP/252 Att/156 Def
Trait: Rock Head
Megahorn
Earthquake
Rock Blast/Rock Slide
Double-Edge

You need either a Nidoking to breed Megahorn across, or you could try and Sketch it with Smeargle. As for the other moves, Earthquake for STAB, in the Battle Frontier enough things use Substitute, so use Rock Blast to overcome that, and Choice Band + Double-Edge + Rock Head hurts a lot of things with no recoil damage.

If you're intent on using Focus Punch though, a different moveset is:

Rhydon@Leftovers
Nature: Brave
EV: 232 HP/252 Att/20 Def
Substitute
Focus Punch
Earthquake
Rock Blast

Rhydon can potentially get to 404 HP with the right IVs (you need 21 HP IV or higher assuming max HP EV), which is important if you're using Substitute because it makes the Sub have 101 HP, which means moves like Seismic Toss take 2 attacks to break the Substitute. Perfect if you have Chansey/Blissey/Snorlax problems, and they give me trouble in the Frontier at times. Brave means you'll go last in the round, giving you the time to set up Substitute even against slow Pokemon like Snorlax.

As for the rest of your team, Magmar is fine, a bit slow and easily KOed though (try Blaziken if you can get it), although Wailord is possibly one of the worst Water types going. Get yourself one that can take a few hits like Swampert/Milotic/Suicune/Lapras/Lanturn/Starmie. Having a Fire type and a Water type is the way to go, since Fire types give Rhydon Grass resistance, and Water types give Water resistance, and balances your team reasonably well.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Like Tooth said, Wailord is one of the worst Water types in the game. I don't see how you can be happy with it.

Kraka-chan said:
What about Onix or Steelix? I think they're best because of their speed (I always tend to use Golem) and no-one seems to use it. <pouts>

O_o

What are you talking about? Onix and Steelix are some of the slowest Pokemon in the game. No one uses them for their speed, they use them for their Defense. Well, no one uses Onix since its unevolved.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
What are you talking about? Onix and Steelix are some of the slowest Pokemon in the game. No one uses them for their speed, they use them for their Defense. Well, no one uses Onix since its unevolved.
Oh, I'm sorry.-_-;; Thanks for correcting me aragornbird.
I find the only disadvantage of most Rock Pokemon is the low SP Def. I understand that their Attack and Defence make up for their speed. But are there any Rock Pokemon that are slightly faster?

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2006
I didn't see moveset my fault. I wasn't really asking about them. As much as I was asking about what pokemon or nature would give any type of non special type pokemon an incredible attack stat.

Actually I haven't had any probs with Magmar or Wailord. They've even have totally kicked some butt in battle dome, and palace. I always get the 1st moves and I have the Mystic Water, Charcoal, haven't decided what I want Rhydon to have.

Why do I really need to build the team around him? I've already finished the ellite 4 with all my teams from R/S/Leaf/and Fire. I'm not doing the double battles.

I just figure I have 2 special attacks and I really needed a power hitter. I did have a Aggron which I messed up by letting it go above L50 says lol. Tyranitar is way above that.

Hey Kraka, I don't see anything wrong with a Onix later to become a Steelix. Just used him the Ruby. I like to try use pokemon that I haven't used before be it Contest, Battle Frontier, or my main 6 for the elite 4.

Thanks for the info guys.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years

Kraka-chan said:
But are there any Rock Pokemon that are slightly faster?
Aerodactyl is a Rock type that is one of the fastest Pokemon in the game with a top speed near 400!

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
Aerodactyl is a Rock type that is one of the fastest Pokemon in the game with a top speed near 400!
Ah, Areodactyl. I forgotten about that.
But there are hardly any good moves that'll go with it. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Demonta

Jem Juggler
Years
imagine a kyogre using hydro pump on a golem.

1.5(stab)*1.5(drizzle)*2(super effective)*120(power)=540 power altogether!!!!!

I just thought that would be interesting lol

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
Kraka-chan said:
Ah, Areodactyl. I forgotten about that.
But there are hardly any good moves that'll go with it. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Aerodactyl is a great starter Poke. Good stats and a good movepool:

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Trait: Rock Head
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) / Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace/Hidden Power [Flying]
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

As Aragorn mentioned, its a fast little bugger, so you typically get to hit first. Rock Head negates the damage you would get from DE. AA/HP [Flying] and RS for STAB, and EQ to take out Electrics that would be dumb enough to switch in on it.

Back