• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

misprint? what to make of this?

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
c5976b586a9511e2876222000a9f0a1b_6.jpg

I know this is just a printing error
it's on a Timburr (62/101)

But is this a big deal at all??

or it just like "yeah... that happens" ?

(and please just merge this somewhere relevant >.< I wasn't sure where to put it. I'm not looking to be like OOOOH IS THIS A GOLDMINE?! so I didn't want to stick it in what my card is worth - though I suppose this could fit there. I'm just more wondering if this is uncommon. I have more than 500 cards now, and this is the first time I've encountered a spot this big)

Years
That'd just make it worth less than it was. They can be pretty careless on the printing side when they're trying to push through as many cards through production as they do.

Those errors are actually pretty common. Miscuts happen all the time, too.

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
That'd just make it worth less than it was. They can be pretty careless on the printing side when they're trying to push through as many cards through production as they do.

Those errors are actually pretty common. Miscuts happen all the time, too.

alright, I figured it'd be such.
@_@ no idea about miscuts :/ that's not cool >.<

Do splotches like that on the faces of cards?

are they still ok for tournaments?

Years
Splotches on the front occasionally happen, but rarely.

With the splotches on the backs, probably not, unless they were in sleeves and you got the tournament judge's OK to use them.

On the front, probably not, either, unless, again, you got the tournament judge's approval. I wouldn't bank on using them in any tournament, myself, though, just to be on the safe side to avoid being kicked out and having my player reputation be soiled.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Out of curiosity, why would the judges care about a minor mistake on the card, its not as if it makes it worse?

Years
Because it can be considered as "marking" the card, which is a way of making the card different from all the other cards in your deck so you know which card is next. That is considered cheating because it tells you when that card is on top of your deck.

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2013
Yeah lol I have a Dragonair which actually has groves on the top from the machine that seals the packs XD

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Because it can be considered as "marking" the card, which is a way of making the card different from all the other cards in your deck so you know which card is next. That is considered cheating because it tells you when that card is on top of your deck.

As long as you use a SOLID card sleeve such as Ultra Pro Black or a very dark colour such as Red/Purple it will be very difficult to see the misprint symbol through the sleeve itself.
It is the same if a card is slightly damaged on the back.

YOU CANNOT use a clear sleeve for damaged cards or cards which are cut slightly differently. As then you can clearly see where that particular card is from the back alone.

In terms of the "front of the card", as long as the attack(s) text can be read, all the HP values, energy costs are not distorted on the card, it is tournament playable.

Most judges and tournament organizers will be understanding if you have a misprint or foreign card (European text) as long as you have the correct sample of the card with you when you play down the card such as a print off picture of the original card or using your smart phone on a reliable source (Pokebeach/Pokegym.)
Such as "Tropical beach" for example is a prime card which usually will be in a variety of languages which some players may not be aware of it's text.

Back