• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you ever stop watching the anime?

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I stopped watching halfway through Hoenn. For me, it lost its charm; it just didn't appeal to me anymore. My nostalgia for the show ended after Master Quest.

I'll occasionally watch it if I'm bored and there's nothing else good on TV, but that's about it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I stopped mid-Johto I think. The show advanced at the pace of a snail back then.

But really, I stopped watching because of Ash's plot armor. I know Pikachu is supposed to be the mascot and all that, but really, it's way too strong in the anime. The anime depicted things that puzzled me back then. Ash's toddler Pokémon could beat things three times more powerful than them. Also, the whole thing with "being friends" with Pokémon and what not, being stubborn about things such as evolution, and so on.

Finally, every episode is the same apart from a few different elements. I started watching the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh at the same time Johto was airing in my country and the storyline approach of Yu-Gi-Oh appealed to me much more, despite Yami Yugi having way bigger plot armor than Ash.

I was really happy when I found out they introduced in DP a character with the mindset of a competitive battler (Paul). Paul was the best invention they could've come up with, a guy who does exactly what we do at the beginning of the games (something like, catch three Starlys and keep only the one with a good nature). He was a metaphor, an antithesis to the whole anime and the message it passed to the viewers, and, since I was fed up with Ash, I thought it was a great thing. Paul is what the kids grow up into once they grow out of the anime and take the games more seriously.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I stopped watching sometime in the Hoenn arc. I remember being super excited for the whole premiere episode they did for Sinnoh, the maiden voyage ep or something, mostly because at the time I really thought Dawn/Hikari had such an amazing character design and was excited to see her in action. But, I didn't watch anything after that lol.

Whistler

Questioner
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2014
Stopped watching it with Diamond and Pearl. Tried watching Black and White series, came to the conclusion that Iris is addicted to Apples and needs help. ;__;

Jalsy

RESET
Years
Yes I did, it also depends on my mood whether I like watching or not. XD Also, new characters and plot were also some of the factors, making me watch or not.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
Years
Apologies for the tl;dr, in advance.

Wow it's been ages since I logged on or followed any thing of the anime. Only came back as I've only just found out that B&W is concluding and Generation VI is in the works.

Anyway with regards to the question at hand: after persisting bravely with the anime for many years up till the end of Sinnoh I just gave up at the start of Unova. I got really pissed of with the way Sinnoh was concluded - no meet ups with any of Ash's old pokemon back at Oak's place, no typical episode back at Pallet Town, sudden arrival at Unova and no references at all to any of Ash's past and Pikachu comically losing yet again to some starter right when he arrives in Unova.

Not that I had any hopes of any significant global progression in Ash's initial goal of being a "Pokemon Master" (remember those days, ehh?). I realised at the end of Johto that the anime was never going to conclude any time soon or that Ash would progress and develop that much and the entire story would essentially be reset every region, but ...... there were at least references to the previous regions & adventures up till Sinnoh, e.g. Old and previous generation pokemon reappearing, previous characters returning for a brief spell, Ash's earlier pokemon returning, flashbacks to the past, Ash spending time in Pallet etc etc, something that was completely erased during Unova.

As a matter of fact, I hear it got even worse at the Unova tournament with Ash actually regressing in terms of final tournament position. That's the final straw as far as I'm concerned with my association with the series. At the very least I expected Ash to equal his Top Four achievement in Sinnoh, with him finally winning a final league tournament when the series finally comes to a conclusion.

I may watch some of the earlier seasons for nostalgia purposes at some point in the future but unless I discover some episodes in the future with references to earlier periods I'll probably just skim the timeline page on Bulbapedia every few months just to get an idea what's going on. Plus just being a lot older now with responsibilities and more important things in life to worry out, I don't simply have the time to spend watching episodes.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I stopped watching in Unova. I kind of lost intrest after they left Brock and Team Rocket got promoted and didn't appear as often. I thought they were funny characters, and without them, I stopped waking up early Saturday mornings to watch the show.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I stopped watching the series during the Johto saga because I didn't like the new Pokemon, then I got back when they got to Hoenn, stopped watching after about halfway through Sinnoh, and honestly haven't watched a single episode since maybe 2009.

Though honestly outside of sports I don't even watch TV anymore.

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
I stopped in the 4th generation. The writing was just getting so ]terrible. I mean, pokémon isn't the greates anime out there, but the 4th generation just felt so awful. I only came back for the league matches, which I generally liked, with the exception of Walking-plot-device aka Tobias.

Tried watching the japanese version of Best Wishes. Got up until the third gym without any annoyance, but I stopped because I wanted to wait until that cancelled two-parter was aired. Which never happened...so, I eventually lost interest and just started watching Doctor Who.

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
Going to be honest, the old anime was my favourite.

You know, old-old, with Ash, Misty and Brock.. I watched less of the anime around the time when the second generation was introduced and I just gradually stopped watching it, yet I did watch all of the movies. I don't keep up with the anime anymore, but I do watch it from time to time whenever it's on and I happen to catch it.
I stopped watching the movies at the Lucario one (I can't remember the name of it) as I really disliked that one, sorry! :P I'm re-watching the old series though, plus all of the old movies.
Nostalgia!

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I had stopped around the 4 gen for a while.
I don't know why, either. I guess I just never thought of watching it, for some reason. .-.
Had to catch up afterwards, though.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
I started to watch from the very beginning. And I continued to watch up until dawn joined. Maybe a little after that. Didnt like the show much then anymore. Then I moved to watch otjet anime mostly. I have an idea of starting to watch the series again from the beginning and stop at kanto final.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
I was FORCED to stop somewhere during the first DPPt season or whatever you call them seasons. I bought the DVD's cause where I live in, Pokemon isn't on the showlist. Then..... the DVD prices went up like a rocket, so yeah......

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I watch the anime off and on. If I see Pokemon on Boomerang or CN, then I'll normally watch it. I stopped watching the anime consistently about the time it got to the Sinnoh region.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
When I was a child, I had no cable, so no watching Pokemon on TV. They had a select few VHS movies of Pokemon at my Blockbuster, so I rented those a lot and watched those.
Occasionally I went to my dad's house and watched Pokemon, as he did have cable.
Around the time the characters went to the islands and traveled with Tracey instead of Brock, I got less interested in the anime and played the games and cards exclusively.
I remember once, years later (perhaps 2004) I saw an episode of AG on TV, I actually think the channel was WB, and I was appauled. I didn't like May, I didn't like how Pikachu's design seemed to have changed (it looked less pudgy and more defined.) I didn't like how there was no "who's that Pokemon?!" break. So I just completely fell out of the anime.
Then, upon deciding to watch the first DP episode last spring, I became interested again and kept watching. I haven't seen all of the DP episodes, but most of the episodes I've seen are DP. I also like the BW series, I didn't like Iris at first but after awhile she grew on me.
So yeah, I took a huge anime break. About 7-8 years.

Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
When it hit the 4th gen, I cried slowly watching my favorite childhood show turn into Digimon :'(

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I absolutely adored the anime up until Gen IV, then for some reason I just gradually lost interest as Gen V came around. I watched half of the series (up until Brycen's gym battle) and it was very good, but it just wasn't gripping enough compared to the other sagas. It's probably because it's the same thing over and over again but this time trying to be very different with the new characters etc, it just didn't feel worth watching any more. I'll probably get into it again soon enough though, my addiction with anime is quite sporadic haha.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
No I haven't stopped watching ever since I started watching it six years ago and I honestly don't plan on stopping because it somewhat keeps me entertained. But there were times I had planned on it when Sinnoh started to get annoying but even than I didn't' stop. I only stop when there is a break between seasons which these days are rare.

Back