• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What came first: Arceus or Mew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
Years
I chuckled when I saw the title of this thread. We'll have to add another entry to the list of things most likely to cause an argument: politics, religion and Pokémon.

For what it's worth, I'm sticking by Mew. It just makes me grin to think that the ancestor of all Pokémon is a small, pink, furry kitten with a mischievous streak. (Although the base stats argument is worryingly convincing. Ho-hum. It'd be nice if an interviewer could just ask Tajiri.)

Vendour

Water & Fire Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
Everyone is forgetting one crucial element of this controversy: Arceus's backstory is only a myth. A tale passed down from generation to generation in the Sinnoh region. However, with Mew, there is enormously strong evidence that supports the theory that Mew is the original Pokemon, and the ancestor of all Pokemon. Mew's DNA contains the genes of every Pokemon, and it can learn any Pokemon move, and it can transform into any Pokemon. Those are huge characteristics. It's pretty difficult to argue against Mew as the ancestor of all Pokemon when Mew has these attributes, while Arceus only has an epic rumor.

Years
Everyone is forgetting one crucial element of this controversy: Arceus's backstory is only a myth. A tale passed down from generation to generation in the Sinnoh region. However, with Mew, there is enormously strong evidence that supports the theory that Mew is the original Pokemon, and the ancestor of all Pokemon. Mew's DNA contains the genes of every Pokemon, and it can learn any Pokemon move, and it can transform into any Pokemon. Those are huge characteristics. It's pretty difficult to argue against Mew as the ancestor of all Pokemon when Mew has these attributes, while Arceus only has an epic rumor.

I stumbled on something quite interesting"
The first legendary Pokemon that Red saw was Mew; he tried to capture it, but due to his lack of experience he was unable to catch it. In the Emerald arc, Emerald used soil from Mew's birthplace to calm down all the rental Pokémon as Mew had the DNA of all Pokémon. This leaves me to believe that Mew has all and Arceus Dna and Im sure they dont know for sure were is Mew's birthplace. Many people believes that Mew cant be of such responsibility as to judging it by its nature and personality in the movies as a playful creature not serious about life or danger unless its to its max. Mew is the first if it carries every Pokemon' Dna as "Vendour" stated, it has strong reasons to be the first as to saying how we know that every thing in the movies are real, like meaning that Im sure they haven't capture Mew's dna if it is a mirage Pokemon, what method did they use to get such Dna to make these statements and as for Arceus if indeed it is a God Pokemon then how was it disabled by Palkias spacial powers, I thinks its all just legends if you ask me.

Sources:Pokemon.Wiki.com

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Arceus is a legend. The Pokemon itself is real but I could see the people of the old days worshiping it as a God because of it's power. Mew has science to suport it while Arceus has drawings on a cave that some suspect might be related to it. Just because it has a temple doesn't make it a God. If you found a temple of Greek or Roman Gods would you start worshiping?

Vendour

Water & Fire Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
Im sure they haven't capture Mew's dna if it is a mirage Pokemon, what method did they use to get such Dna to make these statements
Remember, in the first anime movie, scientists discovered a fossil of an eyelash that belonged to a Mew. Mew's DNA was then extracted from the eyelash (and later used to clone Mew, creating Mewtwo). And in the Gameboy games, a scientist genetically engineered Mewtwo from Mew. So, in both the games and the anime, scientists had access to Mew's DNA.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2012
I believe Arceus came first, I don't know how it's egg appeared in the void but it did. It then went on to create Dialga, Palkia and Garitina. After the Earth was created Arceus created all the legendary pokemon.

However once the world was populated by legendaries. Mew was the first naturally occurring pokemon which went to to evolve into all the other species. Now there is only one (Or more, GF and Nintendo do a terrible job explaining how many of certain legendary pokemon acctually exist) Mew that obviously contains all genetic material of other pokemon because it is every pokemon in a regard.

Years
Remember, in the first anime movie, scientists discovered a fossil of an eyelash that belonged to a Mew. Mew's DNA was then extracted from the eyelash (and later used to clone Mew, creating Mewtwo). And in the Gameboy games, a scientist genetically engineered Mewtwo from Mew. So, in both the games and the anime, scientists had access to Mew's DNA.

Oh I see thats how they obtained Mew's dna.

Ocarina of Time - OOT

The Hero of Time, and more...
Years
My theory is the Mew is the ancestor of all MODERN-DAY Pokémon. My theory goes, Arceus created the world and everything like that. He created Pokémon, Pokémon that are unknown today. They slowly evolved into new pkm and Mew was evolved. Then, some wierd thing happened and all pkm died out. The only one that lived through the peril was Mew. Then, Mew evolved in modern-day pkm, henchforth becoming the ancestor of modern-day Pokémon.

Just my guess...

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 20, 2019
Mew - why? cuz its the original idea - arceus might have created the world but mew created arceus :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2014
Step 1: Realize that everything we know about Legendary Pokemon is based on mythology and guesses.
Step 2: Realize that everything we know about Legendary Pokemon is based on games, cartoons, and comics made to be child-accessible.
Step 3: Realize that any serious discussion about Legendary Pokemon can be nothing but flawed.
Step 4: Order some Pizza and take the day off to recover from the mind you just dun blown.

Honestly though. The just made crap up cause it sounded cool as a Pokemon. Creator of All Pokemon. Ancestor of All Pokemon. One's a superstition. One's a theory. They can get away with it because they're never in the same story (Has Mew had a Game story arc?). Neither is right. Though, my Logic side has to say that the theory is closer to being right because they have DNA to back them up. DNA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cave paintings and folklore :D

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years

This. Exactly. It can even be applied to every legendary pokemon aside from Arceus.

Ancient Sinnohans perhaps encountered an Arceus and saw that it was an extremely powerful pokemon with limited ability to create life and began to worship it as their creation deity.

Mew was never explicitly stated at the "creator" of all pokemon, but merely their genetic ancestor, which is a fair bit easier to prove than Arceus's role as a creation deity, and in-universe scientists have done so.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Everyone is forgetting one crucial element of this controversy: Arceus's backstory is only a myth.

Here's the big question though: What if Pokemon scientists are WRONG about Mew? The assumption is that because Mew possesses the DNA of all Pokemon within its own, it must be the ancestor of all Pokemon. But add in the other unique thing about Mew, its ability to learn all moves. I think the only reason Mew has the DNA of all Pokemon is so that it can use any move it wants to.

Arceus, even in-game, shows evidence of being a "god" because in HG/SS, it can create one of the Legendary Sinnoh Dragons. Not to mention it being the highest level wild Pokemon to date and having the highest stats of all Pokemon. I believe Arceus created Mew that way, not so it could become all of the Pokemon of the world, but just to make it unique.

shaymin♥

Expert Trainer
Years
Wow, mind twister here!

Well, I have always believed that Arceus came first as he was with the time/space/etc. group. I have always thought Arceus was the one who finally put it all together.

But now that I think about it, Arceus was in another dimension which leads me to believe Mew might have been sent by Arceus to be the sort of thing that made the actual world. Maybe Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were the ones that planned the new world and Mew made the actual living world. IDK if anyone gets what I am saying but I am getting somewhere I hope LOL.

Arceus is the god of the Pokemon World.
Mew is like Jesus, except without a beard. And no resurrection.
Personally, I think the Pokemon Company just seriously hoped no one got that bored that they realised they stuffed up and created so many loopholes in the theory of Pokemon.

But that leaves the question of is it a Pokemon world with Humans or a Human world with Pokemon? Are Humans from another planet?
Questions for the universe in which supposably Arceus had something to do with.
Ah, exactly my point. Arceus is the god of the Pokemon World.
Mew is like Jesus, except without a beard.

Last edited:
Years
It's possible that both Religion and Science work in the mythos of the Pokemon world with Arceus as the God Pokemon and Mew as the DNA Pokemon, it could be that Mew explains what they are but not where they came from or something like that.

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2024
I think your all wrong it wasnt arceus or mew who created the world it was Pikachu!!!

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
Years
From my point of view, Arceus was created first, then create Mew, and then other Pokemon onwards and nobody even knew Arceus since he wasn't discovered by anyone yet but Mew instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back