• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Tougher?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I found the early game to be pretty difficult compared to the other games. The level pacing is pretty good throughout the game, especially in Castelia. I remember going down in the sewers with Hugh and my Pokemon were barely level 20 while his Servine was, so I felt a bit weak there. Castelia, overall, sucked for me in terms of difficulty because Burgh's Leavanny had two levels on my Dewott my first play through, so it got tough. But after that, it wasn't too difficult, meaning that my Pokemon only occasionally fainted.

I think it was around Skyla that I became severely overleveled, but I blame Juniper because she gave me the Lucky Egg and gave me a good enough excuse to grind it out in Nimbasa, and the Join Avenue with the training dojo got me to be a nice rounded level 70 team at the Elite Four.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Especially the earlier ones I found a bit harder, I was always underlevelled(still am) but it is fun like that too. Hardest was that cowboy gym leader(forgot his name) lol.

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
I just think B/W2 turns out a bit tougher because you can easily fall behind in levels (and not even realize it until you hit the next gym) due to the exp tweak.
Although, just like the first B/W they kind of hand you Pokemon that just completely counter the upcoming gym. For example Magnemite right before the poison gym, and electric Pokemon before the flying gym, or ice Pokemon (from B/W1; from cold storage) before the ground gym, and again before the dragon gym (B/W1) in my opinion making it easier in comparison to having to take on Brock with a Pikachu and bug types (or a Mankey if you dug around for one) in yellow.

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
So far the only Gym I've had trouble with was Clay's Gym. Generally I level grind on Audinos up as close to the highest level I can control and breeze through the Gym but I got impatient trying to find a good spot near Dritveil to level grind so I went in head first with my level 42 lucario and the rest of my pokemon in their mid twenties and I actually expected my level 25 Psyduck to carry me through for some reason. His Excadrill's Bulldoze gave me a bit of trouble but I managed to pull through.

SchwarzRozen

Sugary Delight
Years
I actually found the game quite easy, but yet again I grind like crazy, trying to match up as close as I could with gyms. I didn't have much of a problem with Toxic, all I did was grab a Magnamite and thundershock'd everything. I will say that my game data in Black 2 at the very end was about 48 hours, while most Pokemon games I get through in about 20-25ish.

I don't think its 'tougher', but its more expansive .

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I agree, B&W2 is more challenging than B&W. I don't really remember much when I first started on my journey, but it did seem that the gyms and wild pokemon were much higher-levelled plus had move combos that tend to put my team into dangerous situations from time to time. I love it, though. Makes game play all the more better. (Y)

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
Years
I do find it harder than most other Pokemon games, as I have to grind inbetween gyms just so that all my Pokemon are on par with the gym leader's highest Pokemon, which is a little bit of a pain but with the help of Audinos isn't much of a problem.

Saying that I've still not blacked out yet in either playthough of Black 2.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The only gym leader that's given me trouble so far is Clay.

Damn Excadrill swept through almost my entire team. (I took out his other pokemon no losses, then here comes Excadrill taking out 5 of mine is a row)

Team was Zoroark, Arcanine, Servine, Magneton, Tranquil, Lucario

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
Yeah I think it's tougher.

To me, it's tougher because it seems that Audino are less common in this game than in BW, which were my main training method. I don't actually know if they made them less common, but I don't see shaking grass nearly as often at I do in BW. but to me that's what made it tougher

mysticflower

Parasol Lady Madeleine
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
I'm looking forward to playing challenge mode, but I'm already finding normal mode tougher. However some of the time it just means level grinding for me, which gets a bit tiresome. It is definitely better however to be able to use more strategy in the game rather than just wiping the floor with effective moves. The pokemon you find early on are better too (e.g. riolu) which makes the game more interesting. I agree with Bobdapeach about less Audino, which I loved in the last games for taking away some of the time spent raising levels.

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2013
Outside of the lackluster Elite 4, definitely the most difficult game in the series (bar Pokemon Yellow, which IIRC had ridiculous levels). I had to buy a shedload of H. Potions/Revives every time I traversed a route.

Not complaining though! Single-player's much more fun this way.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Yeah I agree, my pkmn were always 5 levels below everyones elses... the elite 4 were a bit easy though I beat them all first try..

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Yes,the leveling is not as good as it was in BW 1. It was a bit annoying having to go up aginst pokemon 5 to 10 levels above your team even if you defeated every trainer. Actually had to get my Lv 100s from White 1 to do the Ghestis battle.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I don't think it was that much tougher.Only 5-10 level of difference when you're about to face the E4 between B/W and B2/W2, atleast in my case.But some of the trainers specially Ghetsis were harder to beat for me.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Yes,the leveling is not as good as it was in BW 1. It was a bit annoying having to go up aginst pokemon 5 to 10 levels above your team even if you defeated every trainer. Actually had to get my Lv 100s from White 1 to do the Ghestis battle.
Now the ghesis battle was a lot easier I think- I beat th Elite 4 with Level 55 to 60 Team.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I thought BW2 started off with a decent challenge, especially toward the middle of the game, but the end of the game was stupidly easy. The Elite Four and Champion were a joke and the final Plasma battles, while epic, were much easier than they were in BW. The AI was also really inconsistent - sometimes you'd have them nailing you with some really nice strategies, other times they'd be spamming ineffective moves against you.

Really looking forward to transferring Challenge Mode into White 2 and starting the game that way though. I've heard it's a decent step up.

Pinta77

Ya, I'd say this is much more challenging, even with the genesect I started out with.

Years
On white version cheren spanked me.. twice i think before i got frustrated and busted genesect out. I most def spent alot more money... potions, revives, pokeballs seemed to work like a rock. I enjoyed it though. It also helped a whole lot that big pearls and pearls respawn daily and i might be wrong but i swear balm mushrooms respawn at the abundance shrine. I really liked iris team ibthink my difficulty early on was due to i picked snivy... but once i started abusing move tutors and audinos i was goody. Now in black 2 which im currently playing my te is dewott' magnite, and trubbish, all around lv 23 - 24 and i only have 2 badges it hasnt been rral hard and i think trubbish is the only one yet to be k.o.d

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Perhaps I've just improved in my playing skills, but I actually have never lost a battle yet in Black 2. I remember struggling quite a lot towards the end of Black, but in Black 2 I was able to storm through the game even with my team of only 5 Pokemon being 3-5 levels beneath the other trainers. Granted, I didn't feel this really ruined the game in any way, but it did shock me.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Hah, even BW has harder~ I winged off most of the opponents in-game easily~ The only challenge I faced was Cheren, I only had Julian, my Oshawott & Cheren was killing me with his Lillipup & its Work Up~

Last edited:
Back