• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Turbo Button

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Back a few months ago, there was a thread for a Pokemon Essentials custom-feature, a script that allowed you to activate Turbo Mode. The link to said script is in this thread here.
Now, I have two questions regarding it. The first one is, when I dropped it into Essentials proper, I got an error, about "update" being undefined. So I moved the "def update" up a line, and I got another error about a superclass, I forget which one it was. Problem is, I don't know how to fix this at all. Hopefully somebody knows?
Second question is, in that thread, there was a question asked about how to bind the Turbo Button to an actual button and not a script. The method provided, apparently, returned an error, and no solution was posted. Is there a way that the way to trigger Turbo mode can be bound to a button instead of a switch?
I figured I'd make a new thread to ask these questions, instead of Necro-bumping a four month old thread.

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
The "Def update" being undefined is never fixable by just having a def update sitting around. def update represents a definition that is proprietary to a given class - So you were already doing wrong by trying to move def update out of the class it's inside. Not to mention, even if that were correct, you only moved the def line, and not the entire def. The result is a syntax error of initializing a class inside of a def.

The thread for this script is August 2010. That was so far back, I don't even think Maruno had taken the project yet, in fact, Poccil may have even been still updating it(Not quite sure). Since that time, so many script sections and classes have been cleaned up, rearranged, changed, renamed, or deleted that there's no definite cause of the crash, and there are probably a lot more fixes needed than just one. It would most likely just be easier to start from scratch; Essentials has moved on, and this script hasn't moved with it for at least ten versions.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I don't know which thread you're looking at, IceGod64, but the one linked to was made in March 2012.

From the looks of it, there are some missing alias lines. There should be one in each class, but only the first class has one. Copy the alias line (no changes necessary) into the other classes, before the def update.

Make sure you're putting the script in its own script section, directly above Main.

I didn't realise I'd been credited for that script. I don't remember it at all.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
That did fix it, thanks Maruno.
As for the second question, is there a way I can bind it to a button? That way I don't need to have it set to run on each map all the time.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
Okay so, I'm bumping my own thread because, after diving into numerous scripts and tutorials, I figured out how to bind the Turbo function to a solitary button.
Thanks to the tutorial that Fl put on the wiki about recreating the Heart Gold/Soul Silver running shoes, It helped me figure out how to bind it.
The first thing you need to do is get the Turbo Script inserted above main, as earlier said. The second thing you need to do is, in "Scene_Map" in the scripts, paste the following entry before "if $DEBUG and Input.press?(Input::F9)"
if Input.trigger?(Input::XXX)
$game_switches[YYY]=!$game_switches[YYY]
end
The XXX could be anything that's in the Input category, defer to the wiki page for Essentials Controls to see whats available. The YYY is a switch, of your choice, that will define how the Turbo button is called. This value must be the same as the Turbo Button's script.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Yeah, if you're using that old snippet of mine, it needs some fixing. There are plenty of bugs regarding the status screen, especially if you decide to change the screen size. It's quirky like that and needs to be rewritten.

Back