• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
I have a few questions regarding Firered and Ruby.

Is it possible with ASM or otherwise to create new menus on the main menu screen and possible sub menus?

Also, regarding headbutting trees, I noticed not too long ago there was a tutorial on here about how to include headbutting in Firered. How would I go about using ASM to create a random outcome for that event, for example, headbutt the tree once and a Spearow falls out and then headbutt it again and a rare candy falls out?

Would I use variables for this to store a random integer?

Sounds like it would be all ASM i would like to know this too

also for some of my tiles i put the background byte to 0 and it still shows the block is covered by player any ideas?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
regarding headbutting trees, I noticed not too long ago there was a tutorial on here about how to include headbutting in Firered. How would I go about using ASM to create a random outcome for that event, for example, headbutt the tree once and a Spearow falls out and then headbutt it again and a rare candy falls out?

Would I use variables for this to store a random integer?

ASM isn't needed for this part. From what I see most Headbutt scripts use the special 0xAB to call a pokemon and it doesn't it goes to an end command. You could just edit the script to go to a random giveitem command. That way if a pokemon doesn't fall out an item will.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2011
Ok...I have another question.
It seems when I use Advance-Text for Pokemon Emerald, SOMETHING GOES WRONG. After I spend a few hours changing the dialogue, there is either a sound glitch, does anyone know why this keeps happening?
I use other programs such as Advance Trainer, Tilemolester, and Unlz.gba, but it seems to still work fine even when I test the game afterwards..
I test it with Gameshark codes to walk through walls and such, IDK if that's the issue, but I'm getting tired of wasting my time changing dialogue in-game then having sound errors and battle errors..

EDIT: After testing this afternoon, the tag-battle system didn't work because I only had one pokemon -shot-

But there still tends to be sound glitches...

Last edited:

PKMN Trainer Alison

I'll follow you into the dark.
Years
Okay I have no idea where to post this, but I'd rather post my problem here rather then bumping a tutorial thread.
I was following a tutorial on how to insert Pokemon sprites but my problem is whenever I insert it, its just a black silhouette in game. I've tried a billion and one things to try and fix it, even starting a new clean rom. But no matter what I do, I either make it worse (Horrible pallet, messed up chimecho etc) or it stays a silhouette.
Please help? :/ Btw, This is on Firered, if that helps.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Okay I have no idea where to post this, but I'd rather post my problem here rather then bumping a tutorial thread.
I was following a tutorial on how to insert Pokemon sprites but my problem is whenever I insert it, its just a black silhouette in game. I've tried a billion and one things to try and fix it, even starting a new clean rom. But no matter what I do, I either make it worse (Horrible pallet, messed up chimecho etc) or it stays a silhouette.
Please help? :/ Btw, This is on Firered, if that helps.
Can you show the screenshot of the glitched up sprite in game maybe? Maybe you had some problems in the palette? I never encountered a problem like that when I'm inserting sprites.

PKMN Trainer Alison

Years
Can you show the screenshot of the glitched up sprite in game maybe? Maybe you had some problems in the palette? I never encountered a problem like that when I'm inserting sprites.

14-04-20115-21-25PM.png

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
This is pretty nice I gotta say xD
Well anyway... have you really done everything according to tutorial?
First... Have you tried to replace different sprite? Chimecho and Castform are very hard to replace...
Well let's say it does not matter... by doing everything according to tutorial. I mean have you indexed the sprite correctly?
And has it same pallete as Chimecho? Or have you imported its pallete?

PKMN Trainer Alison

Years
This is pretty nice I gotta say xD
Well anyway... have you really done everything according to tutorial?
First... Have you tried to replace different sprite? Chimecho and Castform are very hard to replace...
Well let's say it does not matter... by doing everything according to tutorial. I mean have you indexed the sprite correctly?
And has it same pallete as Chimecho? Or have you imported its pallete?
I'm pretty sure I followed the tutorial correctly, I've also imported other sprites in the past with no little problems.
It doesn't have the same pallet, I used the export pallet tick box thing.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
hey, i learning to insert tittlescreen, but i still have not really mastered it but i do have one problem,
this,
Pokemon-FireRedVersionUSA-2.png

The one i circle in red, it does not actually suppose to be there, and it only occurs in-game..
how do i fix it?
and i am very sure i will encounter more problem in future..haha

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
hey, i learning to insert tittlescreen, but i still have not really mastered it but i do have one problem,
this,
Pokemon-FireRedVersionUSA-2.png

The one i circle in red, it does not actually suppose to be there, and it only occurs in-game..
how do i fix it?
and i am very sure i will encounter more problem in future..haha

Well, the image you imported needs to be less the 240x160 pixels. So, remove all the repeated tiles (like a puzzle), and set up the tile map using the new image. (Sorry, not good at explaining things :))

Now my question.
Okay, every time now, I've been trying to insert a ts background, and every time it isn't working. It comes out fragmented and stuff. So, is this a glitch with unLZ or NTME?

Last edited:
Years
For some reason whenever I enter ROUTE 1 in my ROM hack the game freezes. I added 2 person events to ROUTE 1, Gary and Mew and found that Mew wouldn't turn right so I changed it so that Mew was facing down and Gary was facing up. A went to check if had worked and my game froze upon entry to ROUTE 1. I deleted the person events but the game still freezes when you go to ROUTE 1. Can you help me?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
so i finally found out what the bug was its not a bug or glitch i added the fire red hacked rom engine does anybody know how to make a set healing place script for the pokemon centers or can somebody give me an example and explain it to me?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
How do I change what the professor says after selecting New Game in Pokémon Emerald?

You have two options what you can do is translate what he says into hex take that hex code for his dialog and search for it in a hex editor and edit it like that or use a-text and edit it in there

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
Hmm..don't know whats wrong now, maybe i made a mistake somewhere, now is the part when i am trying to insert the text/logo,
it can be insert but the pallete is haywire and there are small 8x8 block like the prev prob i showed you guys,
but that is not my biggest concern, the problem is that when i change the pallete,
all 16 index of the palletes FROM HERE,the offsets,
, the whole tittlescreen changes instead only the text..
Spoiler:

Before i edit the palletes it look like this i think, i actually redo this..lol
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
Hmm..don't know whats wrong now, maybe i made a mistake somewhere, now is the part when i am trying to insert the text/logo,
it can be insert but the pallete is haywire and there are small 8x8 block like the prev prob i showed you guys,
but that is not my biggest concern, the problem is that when i change the pallete,
all 16 index of the palletes FROM HERE,the offsets,
, the whole tittlescreen changes instead only the text..
Spoiler:

Before i edit the palletes it look like this i think, i actually redo this..lol
Spoiler:
did you index the image??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back