• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you like the follow me feature?

Do you prefer having the follow me feature compared to not having it?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • No!

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I'm on the fence on this one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I enjoy playing with and without the feature!

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
With the release of HGSS, we were given a handy new feature, something that we really had only been able to use in the main series of games in Pokemon Yellow for the GBC. The follow me feature. This feature allowed the first member of our party to follow us. We were also given the ability to check up on our pokemon, but clicking them -- finding what their current mood is or if they've picked up anything useful, like a decoration item or a golden leaf! But my main question here is; did you prefer the follow me feature over having your pokemon confined only in their pokeballs? If you could choose between having and not having the follow me feature, which would you choose?

I would definitely opt for having the follow me feature. I was really disappointed when it didn't return in the 5th generation games, since I really enjoyed checking up on my team members and finding useful little items.

Years
I liked the Follow Me feature alot. And I really wish they had included it in Gen V, but it seems like that was a once off feature, so we'll probably never see it outside of HG/SS.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I liked the Follow Me feature alot. And I really wish they had included it in Gen V, but it seems like that was a once off feature, so we'll probably never see it outside of HG/SS.

Which is quite a shame considering I've seen a lot of people here really enjoy it! Including myself!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It really wasn't "new" as it was the main attraction of Pokemon Yellow, and a feature in D/P/Pt's Amity Square.

No I really disliked it. It was a pointless addition that served little purpose game wise other than aesthetic. All they tried to do was polish Gold and Silver and that was pretty much all they could come up with for aethetics other than updating graphics to fourth gen engine.

I didn't care it wasn't added Gen 5 since it was pretty useless, and really hope it doesn't return. If they want to make new features, at least make them more usable, like not having to button mash while in Pokemon Centers or cutting down the visual displays for Overworld HM use.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I liked it, it was a neat feature to have a Pokemon follow you even if it wasn't a new concept. I kind of wish you were able to choose what Pokemon could follow you instead of it being the first one. I want them to bring it back, but I'm not sure how likely that will be.

Years
I liked the feature, cos I love interacting with my Pokemon.

Even though they removed it in B/W, I still played it. I also think that the "follow me" feature should be reintroduced in future generations.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
It was one of my favorite features in hgss... sad that they removed it, cuz it would have been interesting to see all of the unova pokemon follow u and all. loved it. but i suppose that many pokemon would be hard to fit into it...

Years
I loved it.
I was really annoyed/disappointed when I found out it wasn't in B/W and B2/W2.
Hopefully it'll return at some point in the series. Please?

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
WEEELL, when I play Pokémon, I like making it into a story. I don't just jam my buttons grinding my Pokémon's levels, but I focus on the story itself, to the point of giving them different personalities, and sometimes, when I feel quite off, I talk out loud, going like "GO SERPERIOOOOR! LEAF TORNADOOOO!" and everybody stares at me :)

So, when they added that to HG/SS (i have both), I was like so happy. That was my favorite feature in Pokémon Yellow (Yellow was my favorite pokemon game back then), and it added even more story-ness to eet! I DEFINITELY LOVED IT.

I half-died when I played Black for the first time, when my wonderful Snivy didn't follow me :<

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
No. Even though Yellow was my favorite game up until that point, I felt like it didn't make much sense to have Pokémon following you. Now, if you could catch a Pokémon and after you catch it, it would be like "This Pokémon doesn't like being confined in a Pokéball." and then it releases itself from it and follows you around that way, I would have liked it a lot more. But for the reason they gave for following you around? I didn't like it at all. It was actually kind of annoying, and completely unnecessary...

Ice Car

Banned
Years
It really wasn't "new" as it was the main attraction of Pokemon Yellow, and a feature in D/P/Pt's Amity Square.

No I really disliked it. It was a pointless addition that served little purpose game wise other than aesthetic. All they tried to do was polish Gold and Silver and that was pretty much all they could come up with for aethetics other than updating graphics to fourth gen engine.

I didn't care it wasn't added Gen 5 since it was pretty useless, and really hope it doesn't return. If they want to make new features, at least make them more usable, like not having to button mash while in Pokemon Centers or cutting down the visual displays for Overworld HM use.

I don't see how people couldn't like it. If doesn't interfere with gameplay in any way... Even if it feels pointless or tacked on, that doesn't make it bad if. I find if logical to complain about some purely aesthetic addition that shouldn't have added much time to producing the game and doesn't interfere with gameplay or change the formula at all.

I loved the feature. I wish more than just HG/SS had it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
I found it quite nice, really. c:
It was absolutely adorable and it felt as if the pokemon were more... Real, I suppose? (horrible word choice) The fact that you could communicate (kinda) was great, as well. I mean, the only time you usually get to see your pokemon outside of their pokeballs is in battle, and that feels somewhat forced. Maybe I'm just being too emphatic here, but whatever. :)

Yeah, I was really disappointed that it didn't come back in B&W too. I started playing once the DS games came out, so it was really new and amazing to me.

Turbo_Dee

DisrespectDead
Years
I liked this feature, but what I would have liked even more was if I could follow my pokemon around. Can you imagine the awkwardness as Garchomp opens the Pokemon Centre door, with me in tow, before walking up to the counter to have a generic conversation with the nurse behind the counter. The novelty of being lifted over the counter and made to sit in one of the wee spaces for pokeballs would soon give way to humiliation. Occasionally, Garchomp will turn around to check on me and make sure I had not run off to scare passing children or chew on live electrical wires. He would ask me how I'm feeling in a voice usually reserved for babies or small, cute animals and I would hand over a pine cone or a stone I liked the look of from the side of the road. Garchomp would smile endearingly at me, before patting my head lovingly and continuing on our way. That sounds truly wonderful, a man can dream.

Years
I personally enjoyed the feature of having a Pokemon follow you around. It would have been nice if it didn't have to be the first Pokemon in your party, because many times I wanted one Pokemon to follow me, but it wasn't the one I was training at the time.

I also think that there should be an option if you want to have a Pokemon follow you or not in future games. As evidenced by this thread, some people enjoyed the feature and others didn't, but if we were given the option if we wanted it or not, it would make everybody happy.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Like most people, I loved the feature and really missed in in Black & White. I loved having my Lugia follow me :D even if it did go back inside its Pokéball in buildings haha.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Like most people, I loved the feature and really missed in in Black & White. I loved having my Lugia follow me :D even if it did go back inside its Pokéball in buildings haha.

Ah yes, I remember the times I'd feel badass walking in the pokecenter or around Viridian City with my Ho-oh and Dialga haha.

Hume

la tristesse durera
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 22, 2014
Of course! It was definitely a welcomed edition. It was slightly surreal having Magikarp and Goldeen follow you on land, but as with most Pokemon contradictions, I'm willing to look past it.

I really hope we see this feature again in future games, I think it would be a waste not to include it.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I really disliked it because the first Pokemon followed you. Most of the time, the first Pokemon is the weak new addition, and well...I'd rather choose another one to follow me. That's the main reason I dislike it. Obviously everyone would choose their favorite Pokemon to follow them, and due to it being the first one, it kinda ruins that.

If they reintroduce this in the next Gen, I hope they at least allow you to choose it in the menu, so even your sixth can follow you. I just hope they don't overdo it and make all six follow you.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
If they reintroduce this in the next Gen, I hope they at least allow you to choose it in the menu, so even your sixth can follow you. I just hope they don't overdo it and make all six follow you.

lol, all six following u sounds funny but useless :) would be funny if they did that. albeit extremely inconvenient.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
i liked the follow me feature and i think they should've included it with Generation V but they still should put it as an option wether you can keep the pokemon in pokeball or let it follow you

Back