• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Research & Development Thread

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
This might be useful: In FireRed, the script that runs when respawning after losing a battle is located at 0x1A8D97. You can even edit it with XSE.

EDIT: And if you're respawning at your house rather than the Pokemon Center, it goes to this script instead: 0x1A8DD8

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Cinematic Mode

Ok, I found this over at the pokahacking forum and it seems to be useful for legendary events! So I did not discovered this credits to Steven and Casta for some Info about this.

So ever wanted to make your game like a movie or something like that. xD Well you can you can now make something look like this.

scaled.php

So how to do it huh? Pretty easy just put this in your script.

Ruby:
writebytetooffset 0x6C 0x4000044
writebytetooffset 0x23 0x4000045

Fire red:
writebytetooffset 0x80 0x4000044
writebytetooffset 0x20 0x4000045

Emerald:
writebytetooffset 0x7F 0x4000044
writebytetooffset 0x20 0x4000045

Just include them in every script that you want it only goes away after a warp to another place. That's all. :D

Credits:
Steven
Casta

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Ok, I found this over at the pokahacking forum and it seems to be useful for legendary events! So I did not discovered this credits to Steven and Casta for some Info about this.

So ever wanted to make your game like a movie or something like that. xD Well you can you can now make something look like this.

scaled.php

I actually found the other half of this that changes things to greyscale without doing any division or other crazy ASM. It's one RAM location:
Code:
0x02036E28
So just wrote a 0x1 to that offset for greyscale, and 0x2 for sepia (I think...). To reset, set it to 0x0.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
hinkage messaged me about possibly removing the introduction part of the New Game function in FireRed. It was surprisingly easy. Pretty much entailed nulling some function calls and replacing one pointer. :)

Code:
0812ED1E: 00 00 00 00
0812ED2E: 00 00 00 00
0812EE3E: 00 00 00 00
0812EE48: 00 00 00 00
0812EE4E: 00 00 00 00
0812EE54: 00 00 00 00
0812EE60: 00 00 00 00
0812EE8C: D1 08 13 08

There's a small delay, though. I'm currently unsure about how to fix it.

EDIT: Nevermind. :( It only works if there is already a save file, for some reason.

Last edited:

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
Years
EDIT: Nevermind. :( It only works if there is already a save file, for some reason.
You have to write a function that writes a temporary player and rival name to the right location. Then it will work, trust me ;) The game tries to load those.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Is there a way to hack an unused ability (like Cacophony) into Snow Warning? Drought, Drizzle and Sand Stream are already in 3rd gen but I'd like to have the option in Fire Red for a Hail team in the same way.

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
em swarms @0x58D094
species - 2
movepool - 8
level - 1 (i think)
map - 1 (i think, based on first map bank)

assuming this is correct, these are the swarms in this data block
Seedot Lv3, Route 102: Bide, Harden, Leech Seed
Nuzleaf Lv15, Route 115: Harden, Growth, Nature Power, Leech Seed
Seedot Lv13, Route 117: Harden, Growth, Nature Power, Leech Seed
Seedot Lv25, Route 120: Giga Drain, Frustration, Solarbeam, Leech Seed
Skitty Lv13, Route 116: Growl, Tackle, Tail Whip, Attract

they primarily have egg moves and they're primarily just seedot so idk
they really dont seem that special and theyre completely off from what other sites say so maybe theres another block of swarm data somewhere

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
Is there a way to delete your rival from the naming process at the beginning of the game in FireRed?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Uh... Could you just copy the thing written on your link and paste it here cause that site isn't available in my country?

Here..

Naming the Rival from the Overworld:
Spoiler:

wwmb

Watcher
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
Okay, I know this isn't exactly what this thread is for, but whatever.

What I've been working on for the past few hours is a rewrite of the stone evolution checking routine. It, essentially, makes it much easier to add custom (stone) evolution methods. If this is unclear, essentially you could write a code to check just for gender (or really, whatever you wanted), put it somewhere, and put that pointer into a table, and it would allow you to evolve using a particular stone on a particular gender of Pokemon. It uses the evolution types above 'F' (as in, all the unused ones).

Right now, I'm doing stone evolutions, though I plan to work on doing the same for levelup and trade evolutions eventually.

What I was wondering, though, is - would it even be worth it to even release it once I finish working out the bugs? Sure, it makes it easier to implement custom evolution methods, but you still need to know ASM to even use it, and, so, the only people that would be able to even use it could do the exact same thing.

I think that you should. And just because someone can do something... doesn't mean they would want to go through all the work of designing such a system, ironing out bugs, building it and so on.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
Are camera addresses known? If so is there already hack that presents the 3D Pokemon games in First Person mode?

Back