• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Action replay users: Why do you use it?

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
This isn't a debate on if Action Replay is right or wrong and please don't discuss that. I am just curious, what do you use Action Replay for in Pokémon games?

I ONLY use it to encounter certain Pokémon in the wild because there are Pokémon I cannot live without in a game such as Moltres. that's basically it for me.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
I've used AR before to modify all wild pokemon's IVs to be set to 31. In addition to that, I kept it on because it also modified the NPC trainers' pokemon to have all IVs set to 31. It made for an interesting, fun, and somewhat new challenging twist to the game. All on level ground, besides EVs of course.

Years
Using cheating device adds new dimension to the game in my opinion, such as modifying Pokemon's stats, walk through walls, etc.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
They do it for fun, they do it to get their hands on the Pokémon that they like, they use it modify their Pokémon, and hundreds of other reasons. I don't use Action Replay, but I don't have any problem with people who use them. The only thing that I don't really like is that when they try to trade their hacked Pokémon with me, which I never use. xD I use Pokémon only if they're legitimate.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I play for Pokédex completion, and only use AR to trigger events to get event-exclusive Pokémon in past generation games. That's pretty much it, all my other Pokémon are caught in a legit manner (even Feebas in Gen 3... that one almost drove me insane) .

Years
I only used it with DPPt a long time ago for the Azure Flute (I never used it in Platinum, though) and other events.

Other than that, I haven't used the AR for anything else, because I can't really think of anything I would use it for, except things that are really necessary (like if I wanted to use it to unlock the Challenge Key from the beginning of the game, but I have the mechanics required to do that anyway).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I did it with White so I can better train my teams by using stat boosters such as Carbos and Calcium and to use a near infinite number of Heart Scales saving me hours if not days of work.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I use cheat codes mostly to optimize my gaming experience. I've used max items like certain Poke Balls, Rare Candy, Lucky Eggs, Vitamins and Wings, etc. I use fast egg-hatching and cloning to aid in my trade stores. I have used codes to encounter final-stage Pokemon like Vileplume and Victreebel to speed up the EV training process. I caught a trainer's Milotic in one of the Gamecube games, traded it over, and bred it. It had some terrible IVs, lol. All of the stolen Pokemon did. D;

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I use it to get max IV Pokémon (the norm since Subway and PWT opponents have max IVs), EV training, fast egg hatch, multiple exp for better training, instant shaking grass, and my favorite, the Missingno-style code that gives you 999 of an item in the first slot, because I hate that GF makes evolutionary items hard to obtain.

The line I draw is to beat the game the first time. After that, AR is free to use. I hope Datel makes one for 3DS because some games could really benefit from it, including Pokémon. I don't think it will ever be possible to make a legal hacked Pokémon in 6th gen, but using EV training codes and multiple exp, items would improve the game experience IMO.

One thing I hate about the AR DSi, though, is that, since DSi mode isn't hacked, the games are played in DS mode, and, since Pokémon Black and White are DSi-enhanced games, it means they don't use the extra processing power when you're using the AR.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I used it to make the whole team-building process faster. Hatch eggs in a few steps, infinite money for vitamins to get those EVs faster, all TMs for movesets, etc. Things that just generally make things more efficient and easier.

Just to clarify, it's not like I directly hacked my Pokemon with it (like deliberately giving them max IVs, instant max'd EVs, etc).

Last edited:
Years
I don't know what Action Replay is nor how to use it, but I might need it for exclusive Pokemon if I dont manage to get the from someone. Can this cheat thingy damage the game or Nintendo ds lite in any way?

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I never used Action Replay, but I did use Game Genie back in Red/Blue/Gold/Silver.

Reason?

Just to have some fun. There was no Wi-Fi at that time, so it was harmless. Everyone I battled with know that I was using a game genie, and everyone else was using one too at the time. Now that Wi-Fi is around, I find it important to use only Legit Pokemon, and use your skills as a trainer as opposed to modding Pokemon. Even though Hacked Pokemon are common, and the usual RNG trainer, I still find it satisfying to beat those trainers with Pokemon that were raised with love and care.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I use it because sometimes it's easier for me. I can't really say the real reasons, but it's mainly just because well... it's easier. I hardly ever use my items I get through cheats though. I do use the infinite HP/PP, especially in Pokemon White 2. That game made it difficult to really level up your pokemon. :|

I also don't do battles or anything with any real people. So, I find it useful to have one.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Back in the day I had no access to Lugia, Ho-Oh, or Deoxys. So I used AR for the purpose of catching these guys. Nowadays there are far easier ways to replicate the results of AR, i.e. Pokecheck off the top of my head. I never use it for in-game stuff though, just the post-game.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
Years
I use AR to get the Challenge key right off the bat in BW2 & usually it to hatch egg faster, get 31 IV's, get hold items & tms.

The pokemons that aren't legitimately caught, I store in another box to make sure I don't trade it away. And by that meaning, I do wild pokemon modifier to catch pokemons that aren't in the wild or re-create my teams for Platinum/SS since I hated the capitalize name and since we can't change it (unless you do it on the game before you transfer), I decide just to re-catch my old partners.

^That's basically what I used my AR for

TrollShammy80

Loved all Pokemon Since 98'
Years
My only purpose of using an AR...is for breeding

Checking IV/EV's
Getting Eggs
Hatching Them Faster

I will never use it for any other purpose..I use to use it to get Pokemon I couldn't obtain on my own, but I do that no longer

PureAurorae

Comrade
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 17, 2013
I only use it to unlock old event items which I missed at the time (prime example would be the Members Card in Pokemon Platinum)

I don't see nothing wrong with using it to make the Pokemons IV's max though.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
Years
I have Aspergers so...I got hooked on N, wanting to be him and so fourth. Before Pokemon White and Black 2, when you defeated him and he fly off and his castle crumbled and you couldn't go back to it, I used the walk through walls cheat to try and find his castle...

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I use it to make the game faster, essentially, because I play SLOWLY. I play for Dex completion, and I train every Pokemon I catch. EXP codes to speed up the grinding process, instant egg/fast hatch, etc. I also use it to clone Pokemon and to trigger events that are impossible to get.

I used to use it to get Pokemon I couldn't get otherwise, but now I trade or download legit Pokemon from Pokecheck, instead of hacking. I like having Pokemon from other trainers, it's more fun.

Back