• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Xerneas to me doesn't look like either be either loving or violent, it simply looks enigmatic, which makes it all that more interesting.
Personally I perfer Yvetal myself.

Years
I'm sure I've said it before, but no harm in revisiting the fact that I like both designs. It's hard to imagine Xerneas and Yveltal as opposites. I know it's not an explicitly written rule that the version legendaries need to oppose one another as such, but Yveltal seems to exude a kind of "BAM, I'M SOOOOOOOOOO EVIL LOOKING, CHECK THIS OUT" sorta thing, whereas I look at Xerneas and all I see is... Well, a deer. A cool one, but when Yveltal seems to be so clearly Dark-based, it's kinda hard to know what to expect from Xerneas, since he's a blue deer with psychic-ish looking things on his antlers.

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
I agree somewhat White and Black Kyurem's designs were really complicated to say the least especially on the D.S. screen however Unova as a whole was very technology based. Xereneas and Yveltal however are very natural looking which really fits with the very pure looking Kalos region and compared to the other tiltle legends they seem really unique =)

I love Nintendo for going for the natural look again! It sure is unique! Unova was a lovely region but Kalos will be so much better, I think! I cannot wait to explore Kalos!

Years
I also love how they went to more natural, less draconian looking legendaries. Gen 4 and 5's mascots looked mechanical (more so Dialga,Palkia, and Zekrom and Kyurem than Giratina, and Reshiram). This more natural design brings me back to Gen I and II's mascots.

blue

gucci
Years
I wasn't really too keen on Unova or the mascots, they were alright but not the best. After seeing both Xerneas, Yveltal and Kalos I'm really looking forward to these games, they look so fresh and different!

Years
I'm amazed people thought so negatively of Zekrom & Reshiram, they were some of the best designs from B/W and one of the good points of the game. Admittedly, dragons were a bit of a tired idea by then, but they still look pretty awesome.

Kyurem can burn though, it looks terrible especially on a <100x<100 pixel sprite.

Personally Yveltal has nothing on Xerneas design wise, the difference is almost as big as the one between Palkia and Dialga.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
The elk Pokémon looks better than the other one IMO.
I like its rainbow antlers a lot, and I bet it's really strong since it's a legendary.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
Well, since it hasn't been quite a month prior to the last post, I hope I'm still allowed to post here.

So, it turns out Xerneas is a pure fairy-type Pokemon and Yveltal is a Dark/Flying-type Pokemon.

Yveltal was somewhat obvious, it had to be something of the dark/flying/fire/dragon variant(even though it looks more like a wyvern than a "dragon"). However, Xerneas being a pure fairy-type wasn't something I truly expected, but pretty nice.

Thoughts on the typing of these two?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Yup CoroCoro has leaked. And yes, Xerneas is a pure Fairy type and Yveltal is Dark/Flying

Spoiler:

Personally I was expecting Yveltal's typing to be Dark/Flying and I'm glad it is. I was sort of thinking Xerneas to be part Fairy but not pure Fairy.

Also
Xerneas has an ability called Fairy Aura: powers up Fairy-type

Xerneas has a special move called Geo Control

Yveltal has an ability called Dark Aura: powers up Dark-type moves

Yveltal one called Death Wing.

I like Death Wing, that sounds really cool and I thinking I'm certain I'm getting Y now.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Death Wing is kind of a lame-sounding move name. I don't know why but it just sounds...meh to me. I wish I had logic behind that, but it was just the first impression that it gave me. I am quite happy that it is Dark/Flying though, as predicted, as we were due for another Dark-typed legendary (Plus I'm not a big fan of Darkrai as it is, so one that I like aesthetically is nice).

Geo Control sounds awesome. Plus I'm pretty happy that Xerneas popped out Fairy-typed. It was kind of predictable ever since the type was revealed, but it's nice to finally get the confirmation. I do agree that I was expecting a dual-type, but I'm not torn up about it at all.

Years
For me it's the reverse Death Wing is the cool one and Geo Control is the lame one.

I'm not all that surprised that Xerneas is pure Fairy as it gave out that pure type aura, even though I wish it were part Grass...

Finally we got our Dark type mascot after four generations since it's introduction...to many Dragons...though Yvetal is the fifth flying mascot (Red, Gold,Silver, and Emerald all had mascots that were part flying). Let's see 8 games with dragon mascots versus 5 flying, and 4 water, 2 electric, 3 fire,2 ice (counting Kyurem twice due to B2W2), 1 ground, 1 grass, 1 poison, and 1 fairy...oh and 1 steel, and 1 ghost... leaving types such as fighting, Rock, and Bug for future mascot typings...

For me it's the reverse Death Wing is the cool one and Geo Control is the lame one.

I'm not all that surprised that Xerneas is pure Fairy as it gave out that pure type aura, even though I wish it were part Grass...

Finally we got our Dark type mascot after four generations since it's introduction...to many Dragons...though Yvetal is the fifth flying mascot (Red, Gold,Silver, and Emerald all had mascots that were part flying). Let's see 8 games with dragon mascots versus 5 flying, and 4 water, 2 electric, 3 fire,2 ice (counting Kyurem twice due to B2W2), 1 ground, 1 grass, 1 poison, and 1 fairy...oh and 1 steel, and 1 ghost... leaving types such as fighting, Rock, and Bug for future mascot typings...

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Yep, Skybacon is Dark/Flying, as most of us had predicted. I didn't expect Jingledeer to be just Fairy though, I thought he would be part Grass. Either way, I'm glad about this confirmation. Since R/S, we finally have mascots that aren't Dragon type. xD

I like their signature moves. They both sound awesome. Geo Control looks like a sort of earthquake-ish move, while Death Wing sounds like a OHKO move, though I doubt it.

Regardless of how everything turned out, I still prefer Yveltal, and will be getting Y. I may get X later down the road, depending on when/if the suspected Z Version comes out.

Years
Okay given that threads linked in the news summary are exempt from revival rule until game release, I think I've found a good topic to revive this with.

So, according to a screenshot that popped up lately, Yveltal's stats at Lv50 were revealed:

Spoiler:

Now these were the stats that were shown in the screenshot, but you know it confirms Yveltal will be an all-out attacker given the high Attack and Sp. Attack. This is making me think Xerneas will get the same BST, but have the stats distributed differently. Xerneas could probably end up with the same base stats as Yveltal, but have the stats of Yveltal's offenses as its defenses' stats instead.

Years
DUDE THOSE STATS MAKE YVELTAL OP. Even with the fairy type xerneas has.

Yeah I have to admit those stats look rather impressive. Well it is a legendary after all.

Xerneas' stats haven't been shown yet, but given that some leaker took a screenshot of Yveltal's stats and then uploaded it to their Imgur page, I'm guessing we could see someone do the same with Xerneas' stats too. I'm kinda thinking it will share Yveltal's base stats, but you know have the Attack/Sp. Attack stat swapped with Defense/Sp. Defense. I could see a possibility they might pull a Ho-Oh and Lugia on us here.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
At first I wasn't a fan of Xerneas since it just reminded me of Deerling. However, looking at it further, I think it's a beautiful Pokemon ^-^ I'm glad I picked X!

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
Years
For this gen I really like both!
I ended up ordering X though becau
se Xerneas just has something serene and majestic about it! I think it will give the story a nice little extra feel. :')
I think I also prefer it's typing.
But Yveltal is certainly also a neat legendary!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Yveltal looks incredible. That's what I call a legendary. Xerneas is also nicely designed, but I am not a huge fan of it.

Can't wait to get my hands on Yveltal!

Back