• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What NOT to like about Gen 3

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
Years
Gen 3 is my favorite generation, so I can't bash it all that much, but it there are a few things that I wish would be different.

Above all, I really wish they could have in-game clocks, even without the day and night environment changes. Mostly because:
A) Espeon is my favorite Eeveelution, and would be great in FR/LG.
B) Psychic Type absolutely breaks FR/LG.

I also wish R/S/E could have Dittos. I do a lot of breeding shenanigans.

RemixinROMulus

Crit happens...
Years
Can't really say much bad about Gen 3. It was definitely my favorite. The major thing that makes me go arrrgh! is that the physical/special split STILL had not happened. Come on, GameFreak! Shadow Ball is still a physical attack that lowers special, and Gyarados is not as powerful as it could be. Such a large number of moves changed their physical/special in gen 4. This kinda goes for the whole series but I think Hoenn was the worst: The plot and character personalities are just complete and utter crap. The whole story is just sooo predictable and everyone is just the nicest person in the world and have no personalities. But I guess Colosseum and XD (my favorite gen 3 games!) hugely make up for this with their anime-like feel. I love Emerald for including some Gen 4 elements like the all-important EV-reducing berries, and Pokemon abilities having overworld effects. There is still a lack of powerful bug-type moves and Pokemon. Gen 3 had the fewest evolutions introduced. We should have had Rhyperior, Dusknoir, Munchlax, and Electrivire and friends in Gen 3.

Gen 3 had few glitches and bugs (both software bugs and bug-type Pokemon) compared to most other generations. There was the berry glitch (can be easily patched) and the roaming Pokemon glitch, but nothing just outrageously major like Missingno, the Celebi Egg glitch, and tweaking.

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
CTRL+F "Rival" - No matches found

Really? Okay then.

This is just R/S/E, but the biggest problem I had with those games was that the Rival is no doubt the worst person ever. S/he has no ambition, no real desire to beat you, and doesn't even get the final form of his/her starter. I would've loved to see more of Wally - you only fight him once, and he has a pretty boss team.

FRLG was disappointing in that it was barely any different from RBY. A remake is supposed to expand on the original's content, and while FRLG did add more areas and post game, the original game's areas don't get anything new in them. A lot of RBY's potential just isn't utilized. Also, there's no in-game clock, so no time-based events for any potential ROM hacks. Okay that's nitpicky, but it does also mean Espeon and Umbreon are impossible to get without trades.

Fortunately Colosseum and XD are totally awesome to make up for that.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
^ totally agree with Ephraim.
RSE were fun games, but there was a severe lack of a "real" rival.
Ephraim has already explained why, and from a personal point of view ill just add that i cant take Wally seriously...at all

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
Well, as stated, he's only fought once, for real anyways, and at the end of Victory Road no less. Last time you saw him, he only had a Ralts. But, that's precisely why there needed to be more of him - he works through some kind of illness to get all the badges and does aspire to beat you. Even worse, you can apparently rematch him four more times, but again, you see so little of him that it's hard to care.

In fact, can we make the Hoenn remake star Wally and follow his story instead of Brendan/May?......Hey, a guy can dream XD

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
It all started in Emerald. I was determined on catching all the Pokemon, then I was on a hunt for Feebas. That was when all my hopes and dreams were shattered in a span of 9 hours.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Gen 3 is and will probably always be my favorite. The only flaws with it are the lack of the physical/special split and the lack of Wi-Fi. But back when it first came out we didn't see that as a flaw, because that was just the way it always was, and we were delighted that the game came packaged with an IR adapter, because up to that point we always had to buy those link cables and daisy chain our Gameboys together (good times...). Seriously, that thing was a friggin' godsend.

One thing that surprisingly I haven't seen anyone mention is the gap between Gen 2 and Gen 3. I had worked so hard to build up a nice collection in Crystal, and then I almost cried when I couldn't bring them into Sapphire. Of course, I quickly got over it because Sapphire was such a good game. And making RGBY remakes was a great move and in my opinion a brilliant solution to the problem of there being Pokemon missing from Hoenn.

I was also disappointed that you couldn't revisit Johto or Kanto. One of my favorite things about Gen 2 was the ability to backtrack to Kanto and fight all the gym leaders there. At the time I had assumed that would be a pattern that would continue with each generation. But that's another one I got over pretty quickly because the Hoenn region is huge with so much to explore and discover. After all these years I'm still not sure if I've explored everything there is to explore in Hoenn.

Overall they're practically flawless games. They have a few faults but they're all pretty minor and easily overlooked.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
Years
The Secret base's Is something What I don't like, It has nothing to do with Pokemon,
The Design of the world map is pretty Boring!

Schizii

Always tired.
Years
I really don't feel as though there's much to dislike about Gen 3 to be quite honest, besides the minor things everyone else has mentioned.
One thing I didn't quite like though was some of the pokeblock things and contest halls. I always felt they were unnecessary add-ons. What would be cool is if there was actually a league of that type like there is in the anime. Otherwise, I saw no point in having those. //shrug
But, nonetheless, Gen 3 will always be my favourite generation. I can play it endless times and I will absolutely not get bored of it.

Years
FR/LG - I didn't really like the lack of storyline - and the fact that you get National dex pretty late. I'd really like to see more things happen in those games. Especially after the Elite 4.

Emerald - the only thing I really disliked in Emerald was the Biking puzzle you had to finish in Sky Pillar to get to Rayquaza - that always took me about forever because I'd always fall right before Rayquaza >_<

Boured

The Guildmaster
Years
Well it is not that game that sucks but the glitch that causes the time clock battery to stop working that made it less realistic which made me mad on ruby

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I'm going with EV training. What if you're a competitive battler in Gen III? No Power items, and excruciatingly rare Pokérus? It would be hell to EV train in Gen III. I also didn't really like how the battery could die, and a lot of stuff that were important to the game stopped functioning. You cannot get a Milotic if your battery is dead, because you can't grow any Berries ;-;~

Years
The thing that always annoyed me in Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire was too many water! It's very confusing, I always miss at least a few trainers, I waste lots of money on Repels and even more THERE'S EVEN MORE WATER BECAUSE OF HM DIVE!!!!!! ARRRGH STEVEN Y DID U DO DIS??? >.< YOU USED TO BE MY FAV.... Naah just kidding. It wasn't THAT bad, but I certainly didn't like SO many water.

Years
Like Syndrome said, all the surfing and diving in R/S/E got pretty boring because there was too many of both. Without repels, you'll be wasting a lot of time running away from wild Pokemon encounters.

This is not really an in-game problem, but for some reason these games also tended to corrupt your savefile after you beat the Elite Four and rolling the end credits, which gets pretty annoying. However I really like the stories of the Gen 3 games, especially Emerald (and the huge variety of towns cities, all the places to visit) so I kept playing anyway until that one time where the game doesn't corrupt :)

Years
Am I the only one who enjoyed all the Hoenn water? The region was so big and diverse that water never bothered me.

Emerald: Sky Pillar was a pain lol, but it was fun. Soft reset at its best.
Game was so fun I dont even remember those small annoying details. The only thing that I remember was having to use the boat all the time to get between those three destinations. I love that Wingull in a cottage wild old man :D

Firered: the only thing that ticks me off a bit is that all the Pokemon I want in my team are far in the game. Like in safari zone kind of far.
Sevii islands make up for that :D

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
What I didn't like:

Gen III Kanto: I can't name any differences from the RBY to FRLG that weren't already included in RSE. Also, no day/night features! If I went from Gen 2 to 3, I'd be disappointed. Also, besides Sevii Islands (which is decent at best), there is very little postgame. Can I say that FRLG was just too easy?

Hoenn: No Day/Night, Internal Battery running dry after five minutes, and Surfing. Though Emerald is my favorite game, I would have hated to be stuck with Ruby or Sapphire due to a complete lack of detail in postgame. Besides Battle Tower, there is NOTHING.

In addition, this game lacked many leveling helpers besides EXP Share. No Lucky Egg and low chance for PokeRus (I got it in my first playthrough-lucky me). Getting the National Dex was a pain as well. All of the Nintendo Events made it a waste of time trying to catch em all.

The introduction of IV/EVs has proved to be annoying and nothing else.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
Years
I was initially put off by the lack of an Eevee, Night/Day system, and the ability to travel to another region.

Back