• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First time competitive Team

falconpunch94

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2013
Hello all! I'm just posting because wanted to create a competitive team and start battling, which I've never done before and I'm not sure where to start, so I've chosen six Pokémon but I wanted to ask for some opinions on what I should do Moveset/Item wise, and obviously any other changes would appreciated, thanks in advance!

Zoroark
Night Slash
Nasty Plot
Shadow Ball
Aerial Ace

Gengar
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Dream Eater

Wailord
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump
Heavy Slam
Water Spout

Ampharos
Thunder
Signal Beam
Thunder Wave
Signal Beam

Metagross
Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt

Charizard
Stregnth
Fly
Flare Blitz
Cut

EDIT: Added in the Movesets of the Pokemon I'm planning to use, they're all what I used to get through the LG/D/SS/W story's ect plus I'll most likely breed some of them for natures

Last edited:

Quayke

MVP(okemon)! Ballin'!!!
Years
  • Seen May 30, 2011
Zoroark shouldn't have any physical moves, especially with Nasty plot. give him dark pulse/night daze instead of night slash and flamethrower or focus blast instead of aerial ace. For Gengar, dream eater is a pretty much useless move in this moveset. Give him anything but dream eater. For Charizard.....please no HM moves.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
You mentioned Signal Beam twice on Ampharos. Could be better with this:
-Thunderbolt/Discharge
-Thunder Wave
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Signal Beam
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Static

Gengar's moveset is terrible. Use this instead:
-Substitute
-Pain Split
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe

There are a lot of better Water Pokemon out there than Wailord, like Jellicent:
-Surf/Scald
-Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/212 Def/44 Spe

Use Agility Metagross:
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch/ThunderPunch/Zen Headbutt
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 60 HP/252 Atk/196 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body

Don't use HMs on Charizard ever:
-Fire Blast
-Focus Blast
-Dragon Pulse
-Hidden Power (Grass/Electric)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

EVs would be nice too.

falconpunch94

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2013
Thanks both! The movesets I currently have were just what I used through my story playthrough in LG/SS hence the HM's/Terrible moves. My Metagross is untrained, I haven't yet transferred any of them yet from my SoulSilver so I'm working on getting the EV berries to re-train them or breed and then Zoroark has a modest nature and 252 Sp.Atk 252 Spd and 4 Hp EV wise so It was just a moveset that I was really stuck on. But you've defiantly given me alot to work on so I'll work around that. So apart from Wailord are my other choices suitable? I had some trouble working out a 'balanced' team so just went with Pokémon I liked, Again Thanks for all the help! :D

Last edited:

firebolt12

pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2012
Good try on your team... But there is a tom of fixing to do!Over all... I agree with the others. You need better movesets. Since other people metioned completely different movesets, I tried to stick with your original moves somewhat.
EVs most people use: 6hp, 252 spe 252 spA or AtK ,,, for stallers and tanks 252 Hp and divided defenses. OR 6 hP and maxed defenses!

Zoroark modest or timid nature holding dark gem or razor fang/ claw or stat up berries, or sitrus
Night Slash You nasty plot and then use phys. move? No. Zoroark wants: night daze 64 or dark pulseEGG Uturn T< or 1 flamethrower, grass knot, are all suitable.
Nasty Plot
Shadow Ball
Aerial Ace Fine, but If you are running nastyplot ( which is smart since 125 base sA) You need something like: extrasensory (EGG)

Gengar modest timid Gem or Choice
Thunderbolt If using HEX this works well!
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Dream Eater Why dream eater? You have no hypnosis.... Try Sludge bomb, Psychic, Hex.....

Wailord fine... You could use a bit of healing... But if this is your main sweeper... I guess this set is okay.. Wailord is a bad water type.. Try Milotic, Jellicent, or seismitoad.
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump Try surf, or if you are using widelens, then this is fine.
Heavy Slam
Water Spout

Ampharos
Thunder Eaither Zoom lens ( works since ampharos is really SLOW!) or discharge or thunderbolt is better
Signal Beam Power gem or cottenspore light screen...
Thunder Wave
Signal Beam You listed it twice...

Metagross
Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt
hammer arm, bullet punch (fist hit) pursuit, magnet rise,
Really, You are hazard prone and easily will shut down with the likes of stallers, weathers, and yeah, you need bulkier pokemon. Right now, this is All out Sweeper team that will die under strategic sets.
Charizard EVs and natures would really help! Charizard is a special pokemon. But, I suppose you can use this phys. based set.. So many tweaks!
Stregnth Strength is a terrrible competitive move! If you want normal, try return ( 102 if MAX bond!)
Fly Allowing foe to stealth rock, stat up, and change the weather. Use air slash LV>1 or aireal ace.
Flare Blitz
Cut 50 power move! Normal? You had strength and now this? Delete this and fill it with any of these: earth quake (TM)Ancient POwer( EGG) Brick Break (TM) Rockslide(TM) Wing attack36 Flamethrower TM lv47 Heatwave 71 Dragonclaw TM lv. 1

=

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Yeah we need EV's, natures, items etc before we can do anything.

Back