• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things in fanfics that you just don't like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
We all have our pet peeves in this department from overused cliches to horrid grammar. Let's talk about them here, shall we?

I'd say that while I don't have real qualms about mature stuff since I am a Higurashi fan, some fanfics rated M can give off this vibes that the author is trying too hard to be gritty and edgy. The description of blood and death comes off as obligatory and not so nature like a kid trying to be what he thinks is "mature." Don't get me wrong, other fanfics do this right but I'm just saying there are many others that don't. It's the misconception that "swearing and gore" equals "instant maturity" without having to really think about what "maturity" truly is.

This link also leads to an article, describing another peeve of mine (it's doesn't seem as prevalent now but still...): How2Make An AWESUM Female Char by ~In-The-Machine on deviantART

I'm curious to hear what others hear think of this. What gets your goat when it comes to writing/reading fanfiction?

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
Years
What I hate about fanfiction is sometimes the bad characterization. There are also some good plot at times that are utilized badly.

One big problem with fanfiction is that sometimes, when original characters are included into the story, they end up to be Mary Sues. It's like the world revolves around them, and every event or flag is set by them. Also, I hate how sometimes they overuse cliches, but there are times when cliches are good, they just need proper utilization.

I also hate it when good fanfics suddenly come to halt. I don't blame the author but yeah, it sucks to see the good fics die D
:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Erm, care to elaborate? Which cliches/tropes do you mean and why?
I know a cliche that is used often is the secretive character. It seems that no matter how many times the other characters try to learn something, the author makes it so that they don't reveal anything. The writer might think that they're making their character cool and mysterious, but it can get old after a while.

One thing I noticed through the interviewing thread, is that a lot of people make their character secretive and not want to talk about the past. I'm guilty of this too, but I think people want their character to hide something. Making a character hide something throughout the entire story, then have it revealed somewhere near the climax that shakes everyone's trust in the character to the core. I would avoid doing that. It's been done a thousand times, and it's something that can be seen from miles away. I'm all for a character hiding something, but avoid what I just mentioned, it's not that original.

I don't like it when you can obviously tell when the writer doesn't like a certain pokemon. When the writer makes a certain pokemon lose a battle it should have obviously won, it really gets under my skin. I remember reading a fic where the main character was battling a Woobat in a dark room. The main character's pokemon was able to hit the Woobat every time, but the Woobat's attacks kept missing because Woobats don't have eyes, and therefore can't hit a thing. Woobat is a bat after all, and should of had the advantage fighting in the dark. You can have personal preferences with pokemon, but don't show it in your writing.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
One thing I've come to utterly despise in fics is the underuse of active description. Admittedly, I'm the type of writer who just tends to slather on the details, but I notice way too many fanfics that don't have any real descriptions about anything at all. Of course, it's one of those things you can't just tell people off about either because they just get mad or think you're some kind of egotist whose standards are so high that they're unobtainable.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Grammar. Good lord all mighty in the Heavens, the grammar. I can understand that some people miss typos, because they've happened to me and they suck. But good lord, good LORD, when writers use BLATANTLY incorrect grammar it just makes me so angry. Like, seriously, who wants to read a fanfic that looks like this:

dawn lewked ovur at da tre n tought "das a sexi tre trololololo"

Just... UGH.

One thing I've come to utterly despise in fics is the underuse of active description.

This this this this this. I feel like most writers expect the readers to know exactly what everything is supposed to look like in their heads. No one is a mind reader with abilities like that yet, so I don't know why people keep leaving out so many crucial details. Like, if Dawn thinks the tree is sexy, describe why the damn tree is so damn sexy.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
Like, if Dawn thinks the tree is sexy, describe why the damn tree is so damn sexy.

images

Please don't make that analogy ever again.

One thing about Mary Sues is that I think that the meaning of them has been twisted nowadays so people can use this to accuse characters they don't like. Sometimes, a fun, self-confident character who has few blatant flaws but still makes mistakes and struggles isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
This this this this this. I feel like most writers expect the readers to know exactly what everything is supposed to look like in their heads. No one is a mind reader with abilities like that yet, so I don't know why people keep leaving out so many crucial details. Like, if Dawn thinks the tree is sexy, describe why the damn tree is so damn sexy.

LOL! Well, yes, my point is exactly that too many people leave out details because they're left with the impression that they don't need to describe things (namely, Pokemon) due to how they think everyone's suppose to know what things look like. In traditional writing, this is unacceptable. Back in junior college, my Creative Writing professor kept getting annoyed by me because I never talked about what things looked like (settings, characters, objects, etc.). To me, skimping on description sort of demeans the fact that one's writing a story...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 27, 2013
I just internally compare them to My Immortal.
If at any given point, My Immortal makes more sense, has a more correct grammar or better characterization I know the fanfic's rotten.

But I suppose I should pick the worst, and that would be the characterization. I don't care if you think [CHARACTER] is just misunderstood and is actually quite nice if the canon says it's a flipping crazy murderous psychopath. Really, Draco in Leather Pants and Ron the Death Eater are the worst, possible things that could ever find your path on a fanfic.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I think I dislike horrid misspellings, koff~

If I can read and understand it, great, but if I have to re-read an entire sentence three or four times to try and understand what they mean, then it's poorly executed. They used a computer to type this, so to put this online and not take the time to read their work, why should I waste my time to read it, koffi~

Also, I hate those rare but horrible stories about consuming fecal matter. They exist, and they are not wanted.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Bad grammar gets to me too, but that can be fixed, so it doesn't get to me as much.

This doesn't necessarily apply to fanfics, but when you leave a review and you never hear back from the writer. It's like you take all this time to try to improve the story and writer, but then they never respond. Where did you go? It's only happened a couple times, so at least it's not common.

I guess another thing is when the story follows the exact storyline of the game. I've read a couple journey fics where it's just the writer implanting themselves into the games. It gets so boring to the point where I don't want to even leave a review telling them to stray from the game plot.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
LOL! Well, yes, my point is exactly that too many people leave out details because they're left with the impression that they don't need to describe things (namely, Pokemon) due to how they think everyone's suppose to know what things look like. In traditional writing, this is unacceptable. Back in junior college, my Creative Writing professor kept getting annoyed by me because I never talked about what things looked like (settings, characters, objects, etc.). To me, skimping on description sort of demeans the fact that one's writing a story...

I dunno about Pokemon descriptions in a Pokemon fanfics (especially on a forum like this). At least, a super-duper detailed description. Plus, it's have to be more bit-by-bit description and less info-dump. But I shouldn't be one to talk since I believe I need work on my own...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 27, 2013
I dunno about Pokemon descriptions in a Pokemon fanfics (especially on a forum like this). At least, a super-duper detailed description. Plus, it's have to be more bit-by-bit description and less info-dump. But I shouldn't be one to talk since I believe I need work on my own...

I personally think that something that is known to probably everybody reading (such as pokemon in pokemon fanfic) shouldn't really have to be explained, at least in detail. I mean, everybody knows how Juniper or Oak looks like, why should I have to explain it again.

CoffeeDrink

Years
I personally think that something that is known to probably everybody reading (such as pokemon in pokemon fanfic) shouldn't really have to be explained, at least in detail. I mean, everybody knows how Juniper or Oak looks like, why should I have to explain it again.

Sometimes, it's a form of courtesy, koff~

Notr everyone has seen what Prof. Oak looks like, koffi~

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
It's kind of interesting to see everyone's opinions on the "correct" amount of description. I've read books by several authors that could technically be considered "published fanfiction", and the amount of description about the world depends on the author. Especially compared to what the reader needs to know. For instance, the book I'm reading now is about gnomes (this is a fantasy book series), and the author doesn't really describe the gnomes physically or their world, except for little details that are important. (Like a character's drooping left eyelid that only straightens when he's telling a lie.)

That's how I really look at description. Unless something is important to know about the character, then I tend to skimp on the description. While editing a fanfic, I found that I didn't detail the color of my character's hair (brown) or eyes (blue) or what she's wearing (a green tee-shirt and khaki cargo pants) because none of that seemed important in the story when I was writing it. I might go back and edit it in if I can find a way to not make it awkward, but eh. I dunno. It does become apparent that my character is wearing cargo pants because she keeps her Poké balls in the lower pocket, but that's really the only description that I included.

My favorite author doesn't describe anything, particularly the characters, because he's not a visual thinker, but that doesn't bother me to not know what the characters look like. I filled in my own imaginings for what the characters look like, and tend to find that I prefer what I decided on how they look compared to what others decided because my imaginings are tailored for me.

I dunno about Pokemon descriptions in a Pokemon fanfics (especially on a forum like this). At least, a super-duper detailed description. Plus, it's have to be more bit-by-bit description and less info-dump.
Matt's and Ajin's posts are how I feel about describing Pokemon or Digimon or whatever canon creature we're writing about. A writer shouldn't have to give detailed descriptions about what a Pokemon looks like when the creature is first introduced. Usually, the description comes through in the narration. When I say, for instance, that a character's Nidoran twitched his long ears as he listened to her talk, then the reader (who'll tend to have some passing knowledge of Pokemon since they're reading Pokemon fanfiction) will know that this is a male Nidoran we're talking about here because male Nidoran have long ears compared to female counterparts.

Then again, the Nidoran in question is a character that the main character interacts with more, so he'll get more description than, say, Professor Oak because Oak isn't going to be interacted with. It might be mentioned in passing that he's old, but the color of his hair/eyes or what he wears or anything about him won't be mentioned because that's not important.

And not describing Oak much in my story goes back to the fact that my story is Pokemon fanfiction. For example, the novel that I'm reading now about the gnomes doesn't go into detail about gnome culture and what they look like because fans of the series already know that. When it was mentioned in passing that gnomes in the series have exceptionally long names, it didn't have to be detailed because I, and other readers, already knew that. Or there's brief mentions of another race of fantasy creatures that's been seen before in the series, the readers (and therefore fans who have run across these creatures before) know why it's funny to mention cheese in reference to them or why devices run by them tend to fall apart.

Notr everyone has seen what Prof. Oak looks like, koffi~
On the other hand, they have the great wide Internet near them, or they could pick up some clues from the story about Oak. Or, if the way Oak looks is important, then it'll be described later on through the narration as the other character's interact with Oak. (If the writer does do that in narration and doesn't just go "Oak moved from one room to the other" instead of "Oak shuffled into the other room, his bones more tired than they were in his younger days.")

To answer the question posed by Matt, I've found that a lot of things that used to bother me while reading fanfiction don't do so anymore. The standard issue of bad grammar is still there, but it depends on the degree of badness. If it's still readable (and I'm not looking to leave a review to help correct the author of improper grammar), then I'll still read and enjoy the story without a problem. It's the same with a lot of other problems in stories. Ones that would automatically turn me off from reading a story (high school AUs for example) don't bother me so long as the story is enjoyable.

In recent times when I was reading fanfics without the intent to review, the one thing that kept throwing me out of the story because it kept making me angry was just a lack of research. I don't mean just with canon for the fanfic, but tiny things. Like guinea pigs being put into those plastic hamster balls for exercise. That's a giant no-no for guinea pig care, and I was amused when the character who kept putting his pet guinea pigs into plastic hamster balls wondered why all his pets kept dying. I wonder why. The story just had several problems with little details like that, and that's why I stopped reading it despite a lot of people recommending it and it being one of the few fics that dealt with something in the fandom I liked reading about.

Another thing that bothers me is when there's a clear bias towards making a character's life miserable that logic itself is bent. This same story I just mentioned had a character get in trouble with a teacher at school for something inane because the author wanted to make the character's life bad and wanted to point out that this character gets in trouble at school. Which is okay to point out, but at least have the character get in trouble for actual reasons. Not because the teacher is blind and deaf for not noticing another character punching and taunting the first character.

It's silly petty things like that that bother me while reading fanfics.

A big one that bothers me is the lack of anything new to see in fanfics for a particular fandom, like the Pokemon one for example. After ten years of reading Pokemon fanfics, when you see one original trainer starting in Pallet Town with a Charmander and a rival who's a jerk, you've seen them all.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I never seem to use a lot of discription, and if I do introduce the character I introduce the character, literally. I use multiple perspectives in a chapter, and often if I describe a character it's from another character's pov, which leads to a couple descriptions in the entire fic for each introduction.

One thing that I absolutely cannot stand is not understanding how to punctuate dialogue. It's just a pet peeve of mine that actually takes me out of the story entirely. I've seen authors that have no idea what they're doing and I stop reading.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Not everyone has, no, but in that case the only people who haven't seen Professor Oak (for sake of being pedantic in this example) would be those who have only played 5th gen games (as he's been in every generation, just missing out also on the RSE games) and not seen some amount of the anime. And he's no small known character on the internet either. One could also argue that between 649 Pokemon (soon 700+), it's easy for a reader to not recall what every one looks like on name alone.

That said, one shouldn't describe what a person or Pokemon looks like off the bat, just for the sake of description. The trick is to describe something during an action and to have a point behind it. A character wearing a white shirt isn't important, but them wearing the same crumpled shirt for the fourth day in a row can tell you something about their character or hint at a situation. Knowing that a Kadabra wields a spoon is little more than an interesting fact that serves little purpose, but if you mention it using the spoon in battle, then you're both giving an interesting fact to the reader, and it's a feature of an action (a battle). 'Kadabra suddenly swung out with its spoon, striking the head of its opponent several times' is more interesting than 'Kadabra held a spoon'. In the end though, how much description you use is partly down to what you want to say, and your style. Finding the right balance, whatever that may be, is the key - the problem is there's no set amount of description that gives said balance.

Edit: Hi there ninjaing I probably should post rather than write half a post, go back to my report, and then back to the post.

One thing that I absolutely cannot stand is not understanding how to punctuate dialogue. It's just a pet peeve of mine that acutally takes me out of the story entirely. I've seen authors that have no idea what they're doing and I stop reading.
I didn't know how to do it properly for a while when I first started my fic! :V It was only when someone pointed out to me how to do it properly that I fixed it up, but I'm not too surprised that I didn't know. I can't say a lot of the teaching I had at school was very good, and it even taught me some bad habits (I had for instance an aversion to the word 'said' - now I know that replacing said with something else nearly every time can be overdoing it. =p) I'd say it's a common mistake (newer) fic writers make as well from what I read. Maybe we just need to point them in the right direction some more.

Last edited:

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I didn't know how to do it properly for a while when I first started my fic! :V It was only when someone pointed out to me how to do it properly that I fixed it up, but I'm not too surprised that I didn't know. I can't say a lot of the teaching I had at school was very good, and it even taught me some bad habits (I had for instance an aversion to the word 'said' - now I know that replacing said with something else nearly every time can be overdoing it. =p) I'd say it's a common mistake (newer) fic writers make as well from what I read. Maybe we just need to point them in the right direction some more.

See, you got better though.

It's one of the reasons I always point it out in reviews, and I mention how to fix it.

That brings me to my next thing, authors who, when given an in-depth review, beta, or have a mistake pointed out to them, and they DON'T FIX IT. I mean, I understand when it's a matter of opinion, but not spelling words right, obvious things, just makes it seems pointless to help sometimes. I've seen it where writers post one chapter and get a response back that's twice as long as that chapter, full of mistakes, a lot of them repetitive, and then the author goes "K thx" and then posts the next chapter, with all the same mistakes.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
Between Astinus and bobandbill, pretty much everything I might have said about description has already been said, but I think I'd add that part of the appeal of fanfiction for me is playing around with what people know about the world and what they expect to see or happen in it. For that reason, much of my description of Pokémon (for instance) has a behavioural slant, rather than a visual; I use a few key visual cues to denote what the Pokémon would look like in real-world terms at points that seem appropriate, and for the rest of the time focus more on how it acts. As for humans, I'm not sure I've ever given any human protagonists any reasonable amount of description ever, mostly because I find that whatever description an author gives me, I can't help but imagine characters in a completely different and idiosyncratic way anyway. Description of places or creatures fires my imagination; descriptions of people fly straight through my head without leaving an impact. It's probably for that reason that I don't usually describe any human characters; I never feel like it achieves anything, and even if it did I'm not sure it's really necessary when a reader has such a rich visual knowledge to draw on anyway. All I'm doing by using it is breaking up the flow of the story, and I just can't abide doing that.

That said, of course, what I do doesn't work for every author's writing style. As bobandbill said, there's a balance to be struck, and it's rarely the same for any two people.

OK, I spent longer on that than I thought I would. Returning to the point - that is, things I dislike in fanfiction - I'd have to say a lack of interest and innovation. If you take the games as your base, the Pokémon world can be interpreted in so many different ways that it almost seems criminal to just reuse the same tired plots over and over. With so many questions to answer, grey areas to develop, and unexpectedly dark spots to delve into, I have precisely zero interest in stories that aren't at least trying to offer the reader a different sort of experience. There are myriad unexplored ways to engage with the world the games evoke through narrative, and it really irritates me when people, faced with this vast and glittering panoply of choices that stretches from here to kingdom come, say, "Yeah, OK, I think I'll do a story where my character travels through Kanto starting in Pallet Town."

CoffeeDrink

Years
On the other hand, they have the great wide Internet near them, or they could pick up some clues from the story about Oak. Or, if the way Oak looks is important, then it'll be described later on through the narration as the other character's interact with Oak. (If the writer does do that in narration and doesn't just go "Oak moved from one room to the other" instead of "Oak shuffled into the other room, his bones more tired than they were in his younger days.")

It's part of establishing a certain pattern, koffi~

If one likes to just put someone in the story, who is important I might add, and just leave them as a kind of outline is a bad practice. They could cut it out slowly and describe them little by little but enabling myself to just say 'stuff' dampens my writing abilities. If that makes any sense. And I do understand the idioms associated with certain characters. One might be shy and shift from foot to foot while another might be volatile and kill the next thing that moves, koff~

Edit: For example: Space Marine. What do you think of first when I say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back