• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Basic Pokemon Writing FAQ v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Prologue Writing

Many fanfic writers are interested in writing something called a "prologue" as an introduction to his or her fanfic, as it's certainly a rather good way to begin for a story... that is, if it's done properly. Lately within PC, there are *many* fanfic writers who just can't wait to write a prologue, and eventually the supposed and expected effect of the prologue backfires. Instead of luring the readers to be sure to read chapter 1 and the rest of your story, the prologue turned the readers away. This is because those prologues have done some of the things that should never appear within a prologue...

A little "hit-list!" of what not to do within a prologue, and what you should be doing in a prologue instead.

1. Don't ever include the word "summary" in a prologue

It is completely tiring to see "This fanfic is about" or "The summary of this fanfic is." That is NOT the point of a prologue. That's called a synopsis (a fancy word for summary.) The purpose of a prologue is to give readers some necessary background knowledge that took place prior to the beginning of the story, and/or to create a glimpse of the story that quickly ends with a cliffhanger effect so your readers will be motivated to read the first chapter.

The "glimpse" of the story is NOT a summary. It is not the description about what to expect, and what will happen in the future. It is a very short scene that is used to "show off" your awesome writing skill, that quickly ends with a cliffhanger or some ways to evoke the curiosity within your readers so that he or she will keep reading. The purpose of this type of prologue is to prevent the ignorant readers from leaving a story just because chapter one looks so long. Another usage is possibly giving the readers prior knowledge about an important event that the story will be building itself on top of.

So, don't ever mention the word "summary" in your prologue, as when you're revealing too much of the plot, why would anyone want to read further? They already know what's going to happen... so why bother reading?

Example: For those of you who remember "Mewtwo Strikes Back" (Pokemon the 1st movie), everything that happened before showing the movie title is the movie's prologue. You're striving for something like that...

2. Don't say "This is a prologue."

Do not insult your reader's intelligence. If they read a prologue, they will know that it is the prologue. Prologue has its own uniqueness that will allow your readers to be able to identify them. Saying "this is a prologue" or anything highly explicit and direct like this will result in annoying your readers to the extreme. It is also unprofessional to say something like this. If you do not believe in this, try saying "This essay will be/is about..." on your next english paper as the first sentence, and the 50% will prove my point.

However, to just title it "The Prologue" is fine, as if how you'll label a chapter "Chapter 1- <chapter title>" in the same way. Just don't ever make a sentence saying "this is the prologue." And a prologue doesn't necessarily need this title as well... Prologues can also be posted together at the same time as the first chapter of a fanfic as well, or even, be incorporated as part of the first chapter...

3. Don't ever include a character list

There is absolutely no reason why you need one. I don't see Matrix leading off with character profiles about who's Neo, who's Trinity, what's the Matrix and so on... the movie will lead the readers into seeing these characters. It makes the character list redoned and completely useless. Also, it is a way of telling your readers this:

"Hey, guess what... I can't write. I have to rely on a crummy character list to introduce my characters, because I can't fit them into my fanfic at all."

4. Do not talk as the author

Author's words are called "author's notes," not the prologue. Get that straight. Don't make the prologue into something as if it is your speech and you are about to read something out to your readers... though this rule is broken sometimes in rare occassions, but author's words should be precise, short and quick. Your reader comes in to read your fanfic, not to hear you talking on and on and on without shutting up... Also, author's notes always go to the very beginning or the very end anyway. Shouldn't be anywhere within the prologue... either before the prologue, or after the end of the chapter/oneshot.

5. 1000 word Prologue!

No... Prologue are meant to be short and quick, nice and easy. Prologue is the reverse of the fanfic chapters. Fanfic chapters got a generally preferred word length minimum, while prologues got a word length maximum. No reason for any prologue to last more than 500 words approximately, and even with that number it feels kinda lengthy already... *Generally* for a prologue that is meant to hook up readers, < 100 words seem the most effective, as you're revealing close to nothing, yet enough for the readers to say "so what's with everything else then? Hmm let's read on..."

Some prologues that are involved with giving prior understanding about certain events can be longer though, without any certain clear cut line for word maximum limit. But remember, a prologue can never be longer than a chapter, so keep that porportion in mind as you write the chapters.

6. "The prologue isn't that good, but I promise you that later chapters will be better."

Absolutely an easy indentication for everyone to see that you are not putting that much effort into a work. If later chapters can be done better, then how come the prologue can't be made just as nice as the later chapters? Makes no sense... Save these kind of talk as reponse to reviews/fan opinions in author's notes. Also, it's much easier to make empty promises than promises that are kept, so really you're better off not saying something like this...

Example of a poor Prologue:

Okay let me layout the main stuff and give you the audience the idea of what im trying to do. This saga was inspired by the soap opera The Bold And The Buetiful (obviously). Ill add on more stuff as i go along and more people are welcome to help me write, just pm me. Okay heres the main stuff:

-Present Day 2004
-pokemon replace the humans(so everyone is a pokemon)
-the pokemon will talk in english
-they will have houses just like normal humans would and some pokemon may live together
-there will be no cars and pokemon may not have pets
-theres no such thing as pokeballs or pokemon trainers

this is all i can think of right now as for the sagas reality, ill come up with more stuff as the story unfolds.

Main Characters: Pikachu(of course)(male), Nidorino(male),Butterfree(female),Marill(female),S nubbel(male)
Other Characters: Chansey(female),Pichu(male),Mudkip(female),Raichu( male),Treecko(male),Charmelion(male)
ill have more characters as time goes on.

Okay now its time for the prelude:

In the quit town of Pallet Town, Pikachu is a sports writer for the local news paper and reports on pokemon battles. Marril, his wife, stays at home and takes care of their son Pichu. Nidorino is also a pokemon battle reporter and doesnt take kindly to Pikachus new promotiuon.He was once Pikachus best friend. Butterfree is a next door niehbor of pikachu and marril. Snubbel is a merchant and freid of Nidorino. Chansey is the nurse at the pokemon center. Mudkip and Treecko are freinds with pikachu and marill. Raichu is Pikachus father. Charmelion is the local detective for the pallet town police.

The first episode will be written in probly a day so i can get the story straight.Like i said just pm me to help me write the saga which will probly consist until there is no more to be writen.

(title of the work will remain hidden, because that'll be "flaming PC members" on Frosty's part then)

Example of a good Prologue:

"Cold, so biting cold. As she hugged herself around her slim shoulders,
folds of her ice-blue cloak blew out in front of her by the biting winds
at her back. She stared out at the black tumbling waters of the vast
ocean. From her perch upon a seaside cliff that seemed to be made
entirely of ice, she remained silent and still, even as her high heels
seemed to hold her unnaturally steady upon the sheer slippery surface.

Cold to suit her frozen soul. It was what she was after all. To tell the
truth, she didn't know how she could still be alive with her very heart
unbeating, a block of ice.

Sea-green eyes blinked once. She could sense them coming. She reached
within her cloak to remove her small spectacles and put them on
carefully.

She watched.

And waited." (Pokemon Master, ch.10... not an actual prologue, but definitely qualifies to be one)

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
Right may I help some more?

Also you might wanna, if it's a really emotional fic that you need to get inside the character, make a prologue first-person, like mine. (Which sucks.)

Anyhow...

Similes and Metaphors

Ah, useful literary tools indeed.

Simile - a form of comparison used to liken something to another, e.g. red as dying sunset (like, as, etc.)

Metaphor - saying something is what it isn't, saying it isn't like something but IS something - a stronger form of simile, e.g. the path was a ribbon of moonlight stretching out to the horizon (it's saying the path is a ribbon of moonlight. was, is, etc.)

Comparison - compares something. (I suck at that bit, I'll fix it later. Sorry.)

All helpful descriptive literary tools used to help the reader paint a picture.

Cliches and poor similies - examples

dark: Dark as night, dark as midnight, etc.
brightness: Bright as the sun, bright as sunshine, bright as a lamp, etc.
black: Black as jet, black as midnight, etc.
white: White as a sheet, white as sugar, white as salt (heard that a few times), white as paper, white as snow, etc. (Been there, done that.)
blue: Blue as the sky, blue as the sea, blue as the lake, etc. (Some seas and lakes are red when the sunrise is above 'em ;)) (OU.)

There are plenty more.

Try and be original.

Years
Dark_Pikachu said:
Cliches and poor similies - examples

dark: Dark as night, dark as midnight, etc.
black: Black as jet, black as midnight, etc.

What do you expect authors can compare to other things black?
Black as stone? Black as my keyboard? Black as my pencil sharpener? Black as sewer water?

blue: Blue as the sky, blue as the sea, blue as the lake, etc. (Some seas and lakes are red when the sunrise is above 'em ;)) (OU.)

Yes, but generally, aren't they portrayed as the color blue? Like I said above, what do you expect authors to compare blue with? Blue as a Winows XP toolbar? Blue as bed sheet? Think, dude. We might be creative but it's sometimes important to use your so-called "cliched similies."

Try and be original.

...right...
Black as my battery charger. Black as the fence.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
I like oxymoron settings. That is, opening a story with a bright and sunny days but somethong horrible happens a moment later, or a trainer who is excited about going to professor Tree's place to get a new Pokemon but it's a gloomy and rainy day. Just as in real life, the environment can contradict the mood. Like how it was sunny yesterday but I had a lousy day at work :/.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Smilies and metaphors are rather lower level language skills that don't really contribute to major ideas or themes. They're just stepping stones to achieve those goals.

First of all, all of those things that you listed are smilies, and smilies are so drilled into our head that they just come out naturally really. I didn't even count them as lit. device for part of the bonus when I review, because they're that common. They've been worked into our culture to just be part of our "normal conversation." Unless the similie is an oxymoron, contradiction or anything out of the particular, we really don't need to keep an eye out for them, even.

Metaphor is just as easy to write, but a lot more difficult to use a metaphor effectively, and is very often important if it is used effectively. However, I really don't see too many of them in use here.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
Argh. Go and argue with my English teacher.

She'll knock ya down.

Like I said, I. Have. Had. A. Bad. Day.

I don't need a hat-trick of tears.

Try debating with some kids in my class.

I don't need this blow in the guts after the day I have had.

Black as your battery charger. OMG.

Use the English language properly.

Whoops, there's the hat-trick! I'm crying right now!

Hope ya are happy.

Someone's smiling.

Someone's crying.

One's got the really low end of the deal.

(I wonder who that was...)

Find yourself someone else to hit. I don't need this. I'm tired, crying, and depressed.

Black as your pencil.

Actually there are some very nice red pencils out there... *rolls eyes*

Signing off with a splash of tears,
D *tear smudge* P

emeraldslay

Obsessed with Mew/writing
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 3, 2008
I have a question about fan fics. What are one shots and hoennshipping fics? I have absolutely no idea.

Years
oneshots are the equivalent of a short story

Hoenshipping is BrendanxMay stories. Unless you learn the basics of what shipping is, you won't understand, of course.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Shipping fics is when you believe aa certain relationship pair up should occur.

Like, if you believe Ash and May should go together, it'll be => Hoennshipping. Kenta and Marina => Questshipping.

Take a look a oni flygon's sig. He believes Yellow and Green sohould go together, and Yellow x Green => Feelingshipping.

Dun ask me how they made up these names...because I mainly just picked them up. XP

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
got the shipping mixed up, Lily ;p

Most Common/basic fanfic shippings:

Pokeshipping- Ash (Satoshi) / Misty (Kasumi)
Gymshipping- Brock (Takeshi) / Misty (Kasumi)
Hoennshipping- Brendan (Yuuki) / May (Haruka)
Advanceshipping- Ash (Satoshi) / May (Haruka)
Questshipping- Kenta / Marina (NO I refuse to tell you what are their TERRIBLE dub names!)

Hmm... Lemme do some research, along with major copy+paste from pokespecial.tk and make a small list of all shipping? =p

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
okay okay, I admit.

I'm not an advid shipper of any sort...all I remember is the hoennshipping. How do you remember these things? XD

lol kthx..

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
oni flygon said:
Narrative C: Script narrative

This is usually discouraged because stories in script narratives are either absolute trash, or it?s definitely worth reading. Currently, I haven?t come across a good one yet...

hey Oni, I was just looking through this thread again and notice this line. Assuming you read my fic, and had as many good things to say about the writing as every other person to review it, would you mind editting it?

Last edited:

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
Years
Yamato-san said:
hey Oni, I was just looking through this thread again and notice this line. Assuming you read my fic, and had as many good things to say about the writing as every other person to review it, would you mind editting it?

It's usually discouraged because that's not the way most actual books appear. Also, in my opinion, it's a lot more touch and go, whereas a narritive style book usually touches base more on feelings, emotions, thoughts, environment, and considerations. Script is also used a lot more for humor purposes, and from seeing your fic, it's a lot more on the serious side.

Fan Fictions in Script can be quite good though, Hoenn Mirror World is a good example of a nicely written fan fiction in script format. Yes, it's your fic and you decide what you want to do with it, but I'm sure Oni is just trying to point out to new authors that Script format really shouldn't be used as a crutch to write a fic faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back