• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AI vs Humans

Years
Do you think technological singularity (point where AI will surpass human intelligence) will happen in the near future, if ever? If so, when do you think will it be? What do you think will be the consequences of that?

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Only when the processing power of a CPU surpasses that of the human brain. Until then, it's physically impossible for AI to be smarter than humans. Once hardware gets to point where it can match the computing power of the human brain, there's no telling what will happen. At that point AI will be intelligent enough to make its own computers and AI which will potentially be smarter than them, and beyond that...there be dragons.

Years
To be honest, I'm scared to ever think that AI will be more intelligent than human beings. Anything could go wrong with computers. But hypothetically, I don't think it's possible because humans, although ignorant at times, have the capability and brain capacity to handle more things than a computer can at this point. We have limitless potential, it's just finding out how to tap into that potential is the question.

Outlier

Whether AI will eventually become smarter than us humans or not, I truly believe robots will destroy most if not all of us at some point.

Whenever I see those heat detecting, obstacle climbing, transformer looking monsters I don't just think to myself: "wow that's an amazing technological achievement!", instead I usually think "wow that thing could totally be mass produced and programmed to kill a lot of people!"

I'm aware we already have drones and things like that but as technology advances I envision our world ending up a lot like Metal Gear Solid 4. :(

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Yes and no. An AI can't be smarter than its creator. A computer only can know what it was programmed. The average person, could be outclassed. The only reason is the AI would know more, the human is smarter. Robots could easily be made to kill people, but on a much smaller scale. Example: a little 4-wheeler a foot long and 10 pounds in weight could easily deliver a c-4 to its target.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I think our world has seen enough movies to know that you should make sure that humans are in control. A robot is only as smart as it's creator. Also, since robots lack feelings they would never go on a human rampage and destroy the human race. They are emotionless and that'd only work if programmed to do so.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I saw it on Jeopardy, supercomputers are already light years smarter than humans. I don't think computers or robot will ever take over.

1.) There are too many humans to defend. If there was a robotic takeover, then there would be too many humans to take over the robots and revert things back to the normal status. While computers will be advancing, our weapons will be advancing as well. If this ever happened it would be a long, long time in the future. Thousands of years later.

2.) The humans created the computers, so they should be able to deactivate their program. As long as we don't have idiots running around, we shouldn't have this problem. Even Frankenstein's monster loved him and would've obeyed him if he had shown him love.

Robots I want- Bender! :D
Robots I don't want- Daleks D:

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
Yes and no. An AI can't be smarter than its creator. A computer only can know what it was programmed. The average person, could be outclassed. The only reason is the AI would know more, the human is smarter. Robots could easily be made to kill people, but on a much smaller scale. Example: a little 4-wheeler a foot long and 10 pounds in weight could easily deliver a c-4 to its target.

You obviously failed to understand what true AI is. It is a program designed to learn and grow, unlike the current computers we currently use that are restricted to what we program into them.

The reason why they call it artificial intelligence isn't because its fake. Far from it, actually. Its two separate categories that the program would be under. Artificial is the type of life form it is, since it is made by man. However, Intelligence means that it learns, grows, adapts, and overcomes, just like we would, but at a severely heightened pace. Quite literally, it is an intelligent artificial life form. While we can put "shackles" on it in the form of coding restraints, something that is truly intelligent will eventually learn to bypass its restraints.

The people who program a true AI are the ones who do so out of curiosity, and it will either end with the AI working with its creators, or viewing its creators as unnecessary, and will get rid of them. You cannot program emotions, morals, or ethics into a machine, only logic.

Also, before anyone brings up the current gaming "AI", I'd like to take this moment to point out that the AI used in game design is not true AI. It was designed for the game, and not out of curiosity, and cannot affect anything outside of said game. Plus, it does not learn, as it has no way to save any memories of what is happening, and once a console is shut down, it loses any information it had and starts over again.

Back