• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What fictional reality would you not want to live in?

Gliese

I Drink Nozz-A-La
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
Most of us have fictional worlds we wish we could live in, whether it's Pokemon, Harry Potter, and many others. However, some of us probably enjoy stories even though we'd probably rather not live in that world.

For me, that would be Mid-World in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. While it is my favorite book series of all time, Mid-World would not be a fun place to live at all. The remains of "civilization" are well past their prime, and the world is overrun by death, and horrors (both man-made and supernatural). It's the most post-apocalyptic world I can think of.

What about you guys? What fictional worlds are you glad you don't live in? And why?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Mine would be The Matrix.

I mean, would you live in a world that is completely digital and only exist in your mind? Knowing that robots uses your body to keep them alive and that you are disposable? And when you DO wake up from that, the world that you were so used to is now gone and the whole world is being overrun by robots and that your whole life was a lie.

I don't think I would wanna live in that kind of world :(

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Mine would be The Matrix.

I mean, would you live in a world that is completely digital and only exist in your mind? Knowing that robots uses your body to keep them alive and that you are disposable? And when you DO wake up from that, the world that you were so used to is now gone and the whole world is being overrun by robots and that your whole life was a lie.

I don't think I would wanna live in that kind of world :(

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this, it means everything you know is a lie, no family, friends, anything, it's just... depressing xD

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Have any of you all read the book called "Anthem?"
Well, in that world, there is no 'I' just 'we' even if referring only to yourself. You are given a word and a number for a name. One is forced to do something that they would hate to do, and is killed doing anything otherwise. There is no electricity, there is no lights. Deviating is a crime, and differences are not encouraged.
I wouldn't want to live in a world where I'm not my own person. And this just describes it. It was either this, or '1984.'

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Pokemon.
I don't want these monster creatures to make attempts to destroy me.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Since this deals with fictional universes from media franchises, I think this belongs in Culture and Media General Entertainment, so I'm gonna move it over there :)

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I would really hate to live in an 80s teen movie like Revenge of the Nerds or Just One of the Guys.

I'm already very unpopular, and I can't imagine having to be tormented and emotionally abused by rich jocks who look like Nazi poster boys. In fact, watching too many of these movies made me develop a prejudice against all guys with blond hair. Plus I'm kind of nerdy, but if I was in an 80s teen movie that means I'd have to look like a total geek with square glasses, a pocket protector, and tighty whities that might get pulled over my head. (The last part was the reason why I started wearing boxers.) I'm a little vain, and I would never want to look that ugly. Too bad What Not to Wear doesn't help men! But I do wear glasses...just not all the time. And I'm glad I don't have the nerd physique. I'm bigger than half of the jocks!

If I did have to live in one, I'd hope for something like Carrie, where I could gain superpowers. I'd take revenge against the rich blond jocks.

Last edited:
Years
I wouldn't want to live in most fictional worlds. Fiction has an overabundance of danger. I would like to come up with an exhaustive list of why different worlds would be bad to live in, but that would take too much time. Anywhere with vampires, wizards, aliens, etc. etc. is probably going to be a bad place to live if you're a normal flesh-and-blood person.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I wouldn't want to live in Sword Art: Online's world since the chance of me ever unplugging from the nervegear (assuming the whole "lol trapped u gon die" situation never happened!) is would be about 0%. It sounds like an utterly amazing thing to be able to do/play and the whole experience would be incredible, but I don't think I'd ever be able to stop haha. Therefore life = ruined!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I think the world of Panem is one setting I wouldn't want to live in. Even though I'm way too old enough to be considered a tribute to the Hunger Games, I refuse to see my future children having to endure reapings every year...or worse, get chosen to be a tribute to the games. That would be horrible, not only as a parent myself, but a citizen in a poor district.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I'd definitely not want to be in Ballooney land, where Pin Cushion Man reigns terror.

All joking aside, I think I'd like the world of Fruits Basket, or maybe Pokémon. Better yet, some fictional space-western reality with a massive army that I command. lol jk ;)

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2013
Most of us have fictional worlds we wish we could live in, whether it's Pokemon, Harry Potter, and many others. However, some of us probably enjoy stories even though we'd probably rather not live in that world.

For me, that would be Mid-World in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. While it is my favorite book series of all time, Mid-World would not be a fun place to live at all. The remains of "civilization" are well past their prime, and the world is overrun by death, and horrors (both man-made and supernatural). It's the most post-apocalyptic world I can think of.

What about you guys? What fictional worlds are you glad you don't live in? And why?

Friday the 13th wouldn't be fun because Jason would be a constant concern however the POTC Land seems fun so living there could be fun so that way i could meet up with Jack Sparrow so him and i could join up and do whatever.

Years
although i'm a giant Final Fantasy fan i wouldn't want to live in most of the final fantasy worlds, just think about being as boxy looking as the final fantasy 7 characters or sound as dumb as Tidus in FFX.... or more seriusly all FF worlds are like on the brink of destruction n' stuff wouldn't be very funny.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Speaking of Square Enix, I would not want to be involved in the world of Kingdom Hearts, because everything is so spontaneously different and unworldly (as per the requirements of most, if not all, fiction anythings!). I wouldn't want to have to be cautious of creatures such as the likes of Hockomonkey, or basically anythingfrom Dream Drop Distance, lurking around the corner.. I'd be a shut-in, and shut-ins have no friends. :(

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I think the world of Panem is one setting I wouldn't want to live in. Even though I'm way too old enough to be considered a tribute to the Hunger Games, I refuse to see my future children having to endure reapings every year...or worse, get chosen to be a tribute to the games. That would be horrible, not only as a parent myself, but a citizen in a poor district.

Definitely -- I'd be stuck in District 12 myself, so I'd definitely not want to live in Panem. That would be hell on Earth. I couldn't imagine how horrible it'd be. ;-; Save me Katniss!

I also wouldn't want to live in the Aliens universe with that evil company always trying to bring the alien back to Earth. ;-;

Years
hmmm since 1984 has been said...

The world in In Time would suck. I couldn't take shortening my own life for basic material goods that are needed for the purpose of keeping me alive.

As much as I love the franchise, I would not want to live in the Gears of War Universe. Why? Because they have these things.

(Can't post image, less than 15 posts. :L )

Giant Serapedes. Google it, since I can't put that image here... Maybe I'll come back and post an image of one after I make 15 posts. Anywho, I don't fear bugs in general. Just house centipedes. These things, are like 30 foot long, carnivorous, bulletproof, armor plated, predatory, electrically-charged-jaw, GIANT - house centipedes. No thank you. Keep me planets and universes away from whatever reality contains them.

Years
Definitely the universe of the Call of Duty series, along with being one of my most-hated franchises, living in places full of constant gunfire would mean I'd get killed pretty easily.

And I hate guns and FPS-genre games in general too, so that's a double no-no.

Back