• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cyberglass's Fakemon Sprites

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
I'm relatively new to spriting, but I've been designing fakemon for a while. Feel free to comment on both the pixels and the designs themselves; I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Just the usual disclaimers:
No Stealing
No begging me to make sprites for you, my hands are full enough doing my own sprites and I eventually want these ones to go into a ROM hack I'm making.

Now that the intro is out of the way, here are the sprites!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kiryu

Zuko ftw *shot*
Years
there's not much to Bloomeow's tail...i suggest a small flower or a bud? And the leaves/petals around its neck look like they're shiny...was that what you were going for?

Years
Urfin.png

I really like this one. It's quite a nice job you did with the shading on this sprite. Sprites with so many pieces and angles aren't easy to shade convincingly, particularly parts which are only one or two pixels wide like some of those spines. She shading on the face gives a nice sense of depth. I don't feel like I'm looking at a ball with a mouth drawn on it, but something with more dimension.

On the one called Overkapi I can't help but see something odd with the raised leg. I'm guessing you're going for a foreshortened look, but it seems like it's just shorter than the other legs to me.

Cyberglass

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
@Kiryu: The shine on the leaves is mostly my poor pick of palette; they are supposed to look like geranium leaves. Out of these Bloomeow is the sprite am am happy with the least, especially shading-wise.

@Scarf: I think what happened with Overkapi is that I based the back legs too closely on Girafarig, who has a wider body. Overkapi's thinner body makes the legs closer together, which means less foreshortening is necessary. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bzhuan

add a g to the end of my name
Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2018
more shading would ruin it. I like how it is now.

Cyberglass

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Some new monsters:

Submasectsprite.png
Submasect
Bug/Water type. Evolves into Aquascor at level 23.

Aquascor.png
Aquascor
Bug/Water type. Evolves from Submasect at level 23.

Bzhuan

add a g to the end of my name
Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2018
Aquascor is the awesomest thing I've ever seen... Maybe not the awesomest but on of the most awesome things or whatever...

Does samurunt have an evolution?

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
These are some really good sprites. I especially love Heliseed, that thing is epic!

Cyberglass

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
First update in a while:

Stingle.png
Stingle
Water/Psychic

Years
First update in a while:

Stingle.png
Stingle
Water/Psychic
I like the reflective quality on the "dress" part, and really that part of the sprite is top notch. The head looks a bit off center though, probably because the arms are more or less mirror images of each other even though the sprite's angled a little to the left. The right arm doesn't quite take that into account so it looks like it's pulled back.

Oh, great colors by the way. They compliment each other well.

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
Years
COmpletely fantastic! I love your sprites. My favourites are heliseed, finchy and squill. But honestly, all of them are great. Only cc is if you're trying to sprite d/p/p style, use less highlights. Usually there are only two shades on the sprites

E.G:

dpmfa411.png
dpmfa424.png

Of course this definitely does not apply to all sprites, specially water or metal types.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Cyberglass

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Thanks to everyone for the critiques!

For this sprite, I decided to do something less 'shiny' to practice variety in my shading. I also wanted to work on flames and smoke, both of which can be tricky to sprite, and luckily I had a fakemon concept with both:

Dolphlamesprite.png
Dolphlame
Water/Fire type. Does not evolve.
This is the largest sprite I have done so far, and I had a bit of trouble making a smooth curve this large, but I am very pleased with how all the details came out, especially the flames on its back.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks to everyone for the critiques!

For this sprite, I decided to do something less 'shiny' to practice variety in my shading. I also wanted to work on flames and smoke, both of which can be tricky to sprite, and luckily I had a fakemon concept with both:

Dolphlamesprite.png
Dolphlame
Water/Fire type. Does not evolve.
This is the largest sprite I have done so far, and I had a bit of trouble making a smooth curve this large, but I am very pleased with how all the details came out, especially the flames on its back.
You should be pleased. The outline looks very smooth and the details are pretty sharp. But since nothing's perfect, you might try making part of the top outline of smoke lighter.
Spr_3r_324.png

On this sprite the top outline isn't completely dark as yours is.

One other thing. The tail looks a bit awkward to me. The way it's angled I imagine it's the underside of the tail we're looking at rather than the top side. I think it's because the lower point of the tail looks slightly larger and therefore closer, sort of similar to how this Gyarados sprite looks.
Spr_4h_130_m.png

The bottom half of the tail fin sticks out to the side because it's made to look like it's sort of lying flat. That's how your tail looks to me.

Years
Bloomeow and Flaribit's names seem kinda... unoriginal? I think that's the word I'm going for. And Urfin kinda reminds me of Solrock. Other than that, those are some really awesome designs!

Cyberglass

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
@Scarf: you're right, the tail does look weird where it connects to the body; I'll try to fix that.

Here are some new Fakemon:
Untsprite.png
Unt, the ant fakemon.
Bug type. Evolves into Formignite at level 21.

Formignitesprite.png
Formignite, the fire ant fakemon.
Bug/Fire type. Evolves from Unt at level 21.

Years
@Scarf: you're right, the tail does look weird where it connects to the body; I'll try to fix that.

Here are some new Fakemon:
Untsprite.png
Unt, the ant fakemon.
Bug type. Evolves into Formignite at level 21.
Those are nice colors. I think you did great on shading. There are a lot of overlapping parts, but they don't get lost. They're all quite clear.

The back leg on the right looks too straight though. The others are curved so it seems out of place. I also think it could stand out a bit more. It's mostly covered up.

Formignitesprite.png
Formignite, the fire ant fakemon.
Bug/Fire type. Evolves from Unt at level 21.
Again, well done on all the technical fronts: shading, color, linework, etc. I can't help but feel that the body, that is, the thorax, is very small looking. Smaller than the head. To me it looks a little out of balance, especially since it only has two legs on a side.

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2011
On Formignite, the abdomen is oddly placed. See, the way the abdomen and thorax are connected right now makes it look like the abdomen is always pointed upwards like that. So what you're going to want to do is make it look as if the abdomen is being curved upwards instead of just attached that way.

Unt doesn't really look all that much like an ant, anatomy-wise at least. Look at Formignite; there's a clear seperation between the three main body sections.

Cyberglass

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Again, well done on all the technical fronts: shading, color, linework, etc. I can't help but feel that the body, that is, the thorax, is very small looking. Smaller than the head. To me it looks a little out of balance, especially since it only has two legs on a side.

I agree with the balance issue; the legs should really be splayed more. As for the thorax, it's based on an ant, so it's supposed to be smaller than the head.

Kam the Narwhal said:
On Formignite, the abdomen is oddly placed. See, the way the abdomen and thorax are connected right now makes it look like the abdomen is always pointed upwards like that. So what you're going to want to do is make it look as if the abdomen is being curved upwards instead of just attached that way.

I actually dsigned it so it IS always pointing up. It's a miniature volcano crater, so if it tipped back it would spill all the magma.

Back