• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Junk food advertising

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I have been studying junk food advertising and i have been thinking is it necisary to have junk food advertising on while children are watching telivision? Because when it is on tv many families have their children saying can i have that but when they get there it's pretty pointless for junk food to be advertised while children are watching tv. But when parents watch tv there is less ads on junk food is this because the adults do not feel the need to buy junk food or what so can someone like enlighten me on the junk food issue as i put it?

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
Years
Because kids are the #1 buyer of junk food and parents aren't. I have seen plenty junk food commericials during older person programs so it is not just one way. But junk food advertisers would be dumb if they didn't advertise during children's programing. Money is the big thing there are no special reasons otherwise.

exemption

void
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2006
God ****, your signatures are massive.

Television advertisements are often targeted at a particular audience; this doesn't necessarily mean junk food adverts during Kids' TV. How about late at night, when all of the suggestive advertisements spring to air? These ones are targeting adults instead.

Now, let me ask, would it be logical to display adverts for McDonalds, or the latest kid snacks during the early hours of the morning? No, it wouldn't be. Remember that money is behind this as well, and it'll be pointless for an advertising company to exhibit such adverts at this time period, otherwise it will just be a loss of effort and money.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
Years
Pretty much like everyone has been saying, junk food is primarily marketed towards children and teenagers. I heard that in a recent study, over 200 junk food commercials--I don't recall which particular television station--were aired in only a mere hour or so. It's also one of the leading causes of obesity, and as well as diabetes, among children nowadays.

But, you have to think about the psychology behind the advertising. Yeah, it's true there are kinds of junk food advertised for older audiences, like chocolate and ice cream, but the way they drag younger children into their trap is by usually showing it in cartoon form. Sugary cereals like Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs are examples. Even look at how they're displayed in a grocery store--those kinds of cereals, and along with other junk foods, are mostly stocked on the lower shelves so it's easier for young children to spot those foods at their height.

The sad thing is, these advertising companies are all in it for the money; and, the end result is a lot of young people are steadily getting unhealthier. >_<

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
Years
Its pretty pathetic the way they advertise these days.

A McDonald's commercial that just tries to attract buyers by showing Ronald McDonald's face all the time and saying the stupid solgan "I'm Lovin' It" that they came up with recently.

It probably costs $1.5 million for a 30 second commercial, so they're just losing more money than they're making.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Actually, there is a way to stop it.

In the UK, legislation is coming in to ban advertising of junk foods before 9 pm, which is generally the time most kids are in bed. Also, they are banning junk food from being sold in schools from next year.

This is definitely the way forward, and it's about time as well.

Remember, anything is possible, if you have the will to make it so.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Well ts up to the kids to stop eatting. I also think that there is no way to beat it. If kids are addicted to it and you take it away, then kids are going to find another way to get to that food. The Hunk has a point when he said that Kids are the #1 buyers of junk food because its true and well we can't help it.

:t093:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Zone

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 10, 2006
Toothache said:
Actually, there is a way to stop it.

In the UK, legislation is coming in to ban advertising of junk foods before 9 pm, which is generally the time most kids are in bed. Also, they are banning junk food from being sold in schools from next year.

This is definitely the way forward, and it's about time as well.

Remember, anything is possible, if you have the will to make it so.

That's idiotic. Advertising does nothing, it's the person's own decision whether or not they want to eat it. There's no reason to do that.

Shadeslayer

Venusaur is #1
Years
I agree with the junk food thing, kids will eat junk food and watch TV at the same time and get reallt overweight.

Zone

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 10, 2006
Shadeslayer said:
I agree with the junk food thing, kids will eat junk food and watch TV at the same time and get reallt overweight.

Kids that that happens to deserve to end up like that. If they get exercise/play sports and don't just eat crap, they'll be fine. If they don't eat healthy, don't exercise or play sports or don't do any of that, it's their own fault.

Years
Zone said:
That's idiotic. Advertising does nothing, it's the person's own decision whether or not they want to eat it. There's no reason to do that.
I agree with you..You should decide if you want too eat it or not

Pokedragonfire

ph34r |\/|y 1337 n1nj4 5k1||z
Years
Zone said:
Kids that that happens to deserve to end up like that. If they get exercise/play sports and don't just eat crap, they'll be fine. If they don't eat healthy, don't exercise or play sports or don't do any of that, it's their own fault.
It's only their own fault if they are old enough to realize it. A six year old doesn't understand why ice cream is harmful. It should be up to the parents to monitor the junk food.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
Years
There are some good advertisements that can lure children.

Vault, a drink that didn't come out too long ago by the Coca-Cola Company, has 78 grams of sugar in 20 ounce bottle! That is loved by many teens these days.

Nothing stopped cotton candy did it? Nope. Pure sugar.

I must admit that I'm addicted to Sonic's milkshakes and don't think anything will break that addiction. Though I need fat. I'm underweight.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
Years
Zone said:

The thing being, advertising DOES influence what people do. That's the point of it, and the ultimate goal of advertising is to reach the point where people don't see it as advertising anymore, but as part of their life.

Adverts are designed to appeal to people, and many junk food adverts targeted at less experienced and more impressionable minds do just that. Companies wouldn't spend money on advertising if it wasn't profitable. Yes, there is a definate choice by the consumer involved, and advertising is not an entirely evil entity, but it is successful in influencing or persuading people, and consequently, it is not entirely the fault of the consumer.

Back