• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokémon 4th Gen Mapping (Still in the works, Importing is not done yet)

RockeTODAMoon

Swaggernaut
Years
Help, 9/10 textures are moving.
I've talked about it with SpikyearedPichu, but he wasn't 100% able to help me.
I am hacking Heart Gold, and I use 3DS Max 6.

RockeTODAMoon

Swaggernaut
Years
I haven't tried that before, but I presume there's a byte to enable use of stairs. I'd check on other maps and see how they're done. Perhaps another map's permissions might show you how it's done.

Nice map, by the way :D

What do you mean by the textures "moving"?

With moving textures I mean the textures were moving likes the Sea texture (From the lower left corner to the upper right). But whatever I found the solution to fix it last night. :D

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
I haven't tried that before, but I presume there's a byte to enable use of stairs. I'd check on other maps and see how they're done. Perhaps another map's permissions might show you how it's done.

I know that part, the stairs, u need to edit the terrain settings, but ATM that is not possible yet..

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2015
Hello and thanks for all the fantastic work you guys have been doing. It is extremely impressive.

There is one think I'd like to ask. If I've understood correctly, Maya or 3DS max is needed to convert .obj files into .nsbmd, as Spiky's map editor can't import .nsbmd files. Is that right? Also, are there absolutely no other options than Maya or 3DS max? I can't bear to, umm, obtain either one of those programs (don't want to be a pirate).

You guys totally rock, please keep on working. You make great things possible for us who can't do miracles with computers.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2015
You use Maya/3DS Max to convert the model into what is known as a NITRO Intermediate Format, then you use g3dcvtr to convert them into NSBMD. You must have one of the two programs, but someday soon, someone may write a program that converts OBJ directly to NSBMD without need for the NITRO plugins. And SDSME can import NSBMD, it knows how to remove the textures and insert it as a proper map in the various DS games.

Sorry, I of course meant to say that SDSME can't import .obj files. D'oh. Well anyway, thanks for the answer. I'll just keep waiting and hoping someone will write a converter then.

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
Sorry, I thought I solved the error.
But after I finished the map and loaded it back in Soul Silver, the textures were moving, again!!!

Hey! I know that, I wonder if you edited the tileset wrong, or movement permissions changed...
How did you edit the tree? By which way did you edit the trees...before you imported them onto the nsbtx..

RockeTODAMoon

Swaggernaut
Years
Hey! I know that, I wonder if you edited the tileset wrong, or movement permissions changed...
How did you edit the tree? By which way did you edit the trees...before you imported them onto the nsbtx..

I can send you the Map and the textures, so you can take a look at it.
I will include the NSMBD, NSBTX, the .3DS file and the textures, Okay?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I'm getting pretty frustrated with this problem I've been having for quite awhile now; basically every time I import an edited map into Spiky's DS Map Editor, the textures are completely messed up, and sometimes the map is horizontally inverted. I solved the inverted problem by exporting from Google Sketchup as a .dae file, then importing the .dae file into Blender, then exporting as .obj from there.

Anyways, here is what I am doing:
1. Export obj from SDSME
2. Edit map in Google Sketchup
3. Export as .dae (This is because the obj plugin I found for it has pretty bad results, and I can't find a better one)
4. Open the .dae in Blender
5. Export as .obj

From here on, I do either set of these:
6. Open .obj with Maya 7.0
7. Convert to .imd
8. Give .imd a UV fix with MKDS
9. Convert .imd to .nsbmd
10. import into SDSME

OR

6. Using MKDS (the most recent one that has an obj-->nsbmd converter), give the .obj a UV fix
7. Convert fixed .obj to .nsbmd (the latest MKDS lets you do that)
8. Import into SDSME

No matter what I do, I end up with terrible results. Here is what my test map is supposed to look like (in Google Sketchup):
http://i48.tinypic.com/2q31ao4.png

But this is what Spiky's DS Map Editor thinks it's supposed to look like:
http://i48.tinypic.com/10xv91f.png

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Most tutorials I see say to use 3DS Max 6, but the problem with that is that 3DS Max 6 doesn't work on Windows 7, and even though 3DS Max 8 does, the plugins are designed for 3DS Max 6. So basically 3DS Max isn't an option for me, but if anyone knows how to get the final result looking how its supposed to in SDSME, I would appreciate it.

but someday soon, someone may write a program that converts OBJ directly to NSBMD without need for the NITRO plugins.
That day has finally come, though its definitely not perfect, using my picture above as an example.

By the way, here's the version of MKDS that has an OBJ ---> NSBMD converter:
http://www.cw-games.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/29-mkds-course-modifier/

You have to register to download it however (lol just register, download it, and then never log on again)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 1, 2015
It seems I'm having a bit of a problem with Blender. I just downloaded and installed it to try out the .dae format (Sketchup exports .obj files very badly), however when I export as .dae in Sketchup and try to open the file in Blender I can't see any textures. Otherwise the model looks like as it should, only with all surfaces grey. Not caring about this at first, I tried to convert it to .obj a couple of times and open it in MKDS course modifier but it gave me an index error of some sort. Is there a simple solution to this or have I messed up something?

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I'm getting pretty frustrated with this problem I've been having for quite awhile now; basically every time I import an edited map into Spiky's DS Map Editor, the textures are completely messed up, and sometimes the map is horizontally inverted. I solved the inverted problem by exporting from Google Sketchup as a .dae file, then importing the .dae file into Blender, then exporting as .obj from there.

Anyways, here is what I am doing:
1. Export obj from SDSME
2. Edit map in Google Sketchup
3. Export as .dae (This is because the obj plugin I found for it has pretty bad results, and I can't find a better one)
4. Open the .dae in Blender
5. Export as .obj

From here on, I do either set of these:
6. Open .obj with Maya 7.0
7. Convert to .imd
8. Give .imd a UV fix with MKDS
9. Convert .imd to .nsbmd
10. import into SDSME

OR

6. Using MKDS Beta 0.9 (the most recent one that has an obj-->nsbmd converter), give the .obj a UV fix
7. Convert fixed .obj to .nsbmd (the latest MKDS lets you do that)
8. Import into SDSME

No matter what I do, I end up with terrible results.

You need to hex-edit the NSBMD file :)
Basically it exports with incorrect pallets and textures
compare with NSBMDs that work but have the correct textures.
then fix yours and boom. done.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
You need to hex-edit the NSBMD file :)
Basically it exports with incorrect pallets and textures
compare with NSBMDs that work but have the correct textures.
then fix yours and boom. done.
Well here's my results:

If I import the NSBMD by using MKDS's new obj-->nsbmd converter, and then edit the texture and palette names to be correct, then I can successfully view my edited map in SDSME:
142a4co.png

But there's multiple problems:
1) The map is too small in comparison to other maps (this is as large as MKDS will let me enlarge it)

2) The game freezes when I'm still in Twinleaf Town, and if I reach halfway through the town, then the game freezes, and a stretched out grass texture appears all over the screen.

3) MKDS's obj to NSBMD converter doesn't let me enlarge the map to the correct size, the maximum it will allow me to do is x1000.0000, which makes it slightly smaller than all the other maps when viewed through SDSME.

4) If I enlarge the map to x64 like the 5th Gen Map tutorial thread says to do so, then the map is waaaay too small, and has weird stretched out polygons (and the game still freezes)

If I try "the classic way", which is converting the obj to imd, and then to nsbmd (rather than directly to nsbmd, which is possible now), then I can get the correct size! But then the textures appear really dark, and not only that, but when I view the nsbmd with Tinke, it says nsbmd doesn't even have textures within it (wtf!?!?)

Either way, I still end up with a game freeze.

EDIT: To clarify, I use Maya 7.0 to convert OBJ files to IMD. Every 4th/5th Gen Mapping tutorial I've found says you can use either 3DS Max 6 or Maya 7. (though it appears that everyone that has had success used 3DS Max 6 -_-)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Well here's my results:

If I import the NSBMD by using MKDS's new obj-->nsbmd converter, and then edit the texture and palette names to be correct, then I can successfully view my edited map in SDSME:
--I can't post links yet--
1) The map is too small in comparison to other maps (this is as large as MKDS will let me enlarge it)

2) The game freezes when I'm still in Twinleaf Town, and if I reach halfway through the town, then the game freezes, and a stretched out grass texture appears all over the screen.

3) MKDS's obj to NSBMD converter doesn't let me enlarge the map to the correct size, the maximum it will allow me to do is x1000.0000, which makes it slightly smaller than all the other maps when viewed through SDSME.

4) If I enlarge the map to x64 like the 5th Gen Map tutorial thread says to do so, then the map is waaaay too small, and has weird stretched out polygons (and the game still freezes)

If I try "the classic way", which is converting the obj to imd, and then to nsbmd (rather than directly to nsbmd, which is possible now), then I can get the correct size! But then the textures appear really dark, and not only that, but when I view the nsbmd with Tinke, it says nsbmd doesn't even have textures within it (wtf!?!?)

EDIT: To clarify, I use Maya 7.0 to convert OBJ files to IMD. Every 4th/5th Gen Mapping tutorial I've found says you can use either 3DS Max 6 or Maya 7. (though it appears that everyone that has had success used 3DS Max 6 -_-)

Hm. I haven't tried the new converter. Although I use 3DS Max 8 and it works fine. I did run into the problem where maps appear darker, however sadly I can't remember how to fix it :|

I know one thing I do is use the mtl file of the exported nsbmd from sdsme with changes to the material names to match the sketchup obj. You can try that but i'm not sure...

I'll post if I can find out how to fix it.

Edit: I just tried using the new obj to nsbmd converter and it appears very buggy. You should continue to use 3DS max 8. (I had the same problem as you with the new converter)

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Well here's my results:

142a4co.png

OK, it's really simple. Never ever compile an .imd file into an .nsbmd with the textures. You must always compile the .imd into .nsbmd using the command that only compiles it into an .nsbmd as a model without textures, which is this:
Code:
g3dcvtr.exe [name].imd -emdl [output name].nsbmd

Otherwise, the thing is that since the game already loads the textures from a single .nsbtx file located elsewhere in the ROM itself, making the game load both the ones in the .nsbmd and the .nsbtx at the same time in the same location results in a crash due to a forced memory overflow. Makes sense?

That's why you only need the model in the .nsbmd, it must not contain any textures assigned to it at all. ;)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 18, 2014
Is it required to torrent in order to get the NITRO SDK? Last time I used one of those things it messed up my computer :P

Back