• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet advertising

Years
Most of the time, no. I tend to just ignore them and carry on browsing the site. I have adblock plus installed so most advertisements are blocked for me but for the few sites that I have it turned off, such as reddit or PC they tend to be generic things like computer games that I'm not interested in or random things that you could buy such as a lamp shaped like a zig-zag. Sometimes I might be curious and bored and will click on the ad but never have I ever bought anything from an advertisement.
Some advertisements can be useful, the only times I've ever bought something from a site that has advertisements up is when I've seen the site previously and I've visited their site via the ad and purchased something then. I don't think that counts though because I would've bought from that site even if there wasn't an advertisement up I would've purchased the item anyway.

Also, just a note to other users. If anybody posts "No because I have adblock" or something along those lines and nothing else your post will be deleted.

Years
No because I have adblock.

OK fine loooool. To be fair when those adverts that target the searches or whatever you've previously done, come up some of them are interesting enough for me to investigate into but otherwise I usually ignore them.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I have AdBlock, thankfully, so I don't see any ads anymore. That makes me happy, because all of those Flash advertisements are annoying, especially the ones that pop up in the middle of your screen (not a new window) when you're trying to read something. Those are the WORST. They grab my attention, but in such a negative way. Resorting to that extreme makes me LESS likely to want to click it.

Though really... I don't like paying attention to any advertising. I buy what I need or what I really want, and if I need to do research, then I will. I won't pay any attention to the ads, whether they're billboards, TV adverts, radio spots, whatever. They really don't work on me. Being annoying is not the way to get positive attention or my interest, and I'm already selective because money is tight. I don't want to get tempted by anything that looks awesome, because I probably don't need it. All of that is why I use AdBlock xD

I hope that's more than just "I can has AdBlock so I see no adz" ;)

Years
While I do use Adblock Plus, I don't use it to necessarily block ads because they're a nuisance (well, the are..), but because they can subtract from the reason on as to why I visit a website, such as news and media sites.

Most of the time, advertisements don't appeal me when I see them, which is why I don't ever click on one. If I wanted to have advertisements, I would either listen to the radio or watch TV because that's just how the industry is.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I don't use Adblock anymore. :/ I stopped when I realized that a lot of people make or supplement their living off of the ads on their websites (or in my realization case, Youtube videos) and for the help they might get from me and the enjoyment I get from their content, it's worth a little discomfort. I will donate to get rid of ads quite joyfully though, since I don't like seeing them as a rule.

But I do ignore ads almost 100%. If they're very well picked out, I might click them but that's very rare. Usually the only click throughs a site will get from me are with Amazon or Play-Asia affiliate links where I'll purposefully seek them out when I'm buying something anyway just so my favourite sites get a cut for little effort on my part.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have adblock as well, but either way they don't affect me. If I'm using a browser like Firefox or Explorer that I don't have AdBlock on I usually ignore them. I don't bother clicking on most ads cause they usually don't interest me.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I don't pay attention to any ads. I don't really see a point in any of them, because 95% of them are fake. I mean...those WOMAN LOST X POUNDS USING THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK ads...they don't grab my attention, but they do make me laugh. :P

I only see those ads when I'm using the library computers at college, here at home I don't. yay adblock lol

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I notice them all the time since a lot of them pop out at you with graphics and moving pictures and such. Do I take time to actually look at them though in interest? Nope. I just keep scrolling or X out of them.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I currently use adblock right now, after a good friend of mine showed it to me... ;). But when I didn't use it, I just generally ignored them. They did catch my eye, but I would never click on them, except if I accidentally did.

Years
I have Adblock Plus however it's disabled on a lot of sites because I understand they need revenue.
When I do click them, it's almost always an accident though as there are very rarely any ads that interest me.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I, like many people, use a ad blocker on all sites. I feel that most ads on the internet are horrible and completely uninteresting. Oh, and they also waste internet data. The only site where I turn it off is Animal Crossing Community, where there is a special on line currency which is impossible to obtain without a ad blocker.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I've clicked on some ads that were very relevant to my interests - like when I'm looking for cameras, for example. I don't like ads that take over the page or noisy ads. These ads... I think the mute button is there for a reason, no?

Usually, though, the ads make no sense. (I blame me opting out)

Side note: Apparently, on Internet Explorer 9, if you attempt to use tracking protection, as collateral damage, ads end up not being loaded under most cases.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I usually ignore ads that don't really interest me, but when it does, I check it out. It led me to wonderful games that I grew to like, for example, Zwinky. I don't use adblock, which I only found out now, for some reason.

Years
I usually ignore any ads I see on the internet, I don't really get persuaded to get the product.

EDIT: 4,900th post!

Back