• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Best Water Pokemon (Kanto)

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
Seen many different opinions, just from the original 150, which is the best water pokemon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirfetch’d

My favorite water Pokemon is Jellicent ofc! It is great in battle with its amazing defenses and ability to recover its HP. Also can wear Pokemon down with status moves then stall it out. Such a great all around Pokemon and has an amazing design.

Years
My favorite is Seadra. Vaporeon, Lapras, Starmie, Gyarados, Dewgong, and Cloyster are also in favorable opinion.

Tenacruel and Omastar are borderline.

And...I never cared for the Golduck, Seaking, Blastoise, Slowbro, Kingler, or Kabutops.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I guess my water favorite would be same even if I were to choose from all water pokemon.
Vaporeon is my favorite.
Other than Vappy, I haven't used any water Pokemon out of popularity but more like... of necessity of having a water type in my team.
So... Vaporeon =)

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
131Lapras.png

The Water/Ice Type is very formidable. Plus its defence is through the roof. Don't **** with Lapras. NUFF SAID.

EDIT: 200th Post :D

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
My favorite Water type from the original 151 Pokemon has got to be Lapras and the Horsea family because of their design. They're so badass looking and when I used them in game they were awesome.

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
From the kanto region Blastoise is surely the best and also my favorite.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Favorite Water Type pokemon?
GYRA-*******-DOS!!
Specifically The Red Gyrados Which I caught In pokemon Crystal
130.gif

never ever mess with gyrados

Years
I had lots of memories with Feraligatr, as Totodile was the first starter I ever picked. Politoed comes second because it just looks cute.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
The best is either Starmie or Vaporeon. Starmie hits harder and faster and has a broader movepool, but Vaporeon is bulkier while still hitting usefully hard.

My favorite though is Lapras.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
From the original 151, mine is Vaporeon. I like its elegant look and how it's pretty good in battle. I've used it in battles and it does pretty well, even though I'm not the best at battling.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I personally think out of the original 150, Cloyster takes the cake. If you count the moves it learns in later generations, it can easily find places to set up with Shell Smash and then sweep through entire teams, a move that none of the other water-types in that gen can learn. It also has access to useful abilities, moves and it really has some great stats. Defense-wise, its a tie between Slowbro and Vaporeon. They both have extremely good bulk, Vaporeon can pass wishes, while Slowbro has its own reliable form of recovery. They also have access to good moves such as Calm Mind and Scald which can cripple the opponent. Overall though, Gen 1 offered some dangerous water-types.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
Vaporeon is my favorite pokemon of all time so that's pretty much a given. With gameplay in mind I've always been able to rely on Vaporeon to be strong offensively and defensively. And it's hard to go wrong with Water Absorb.
But I would like to give an honorable mention for Lapras. It's a wonferful bulky water/ice type and quite formidable.

Years
Original 151? I'm not good with these since I never played a lot of games taking place in Kanto. But if I had to only count Kanto Pokemon for this, it would easily be Vaporeon, for being the first Water-type I fell in love with and remained my fave Eeveelution for many years.

Years
Seen many different opinions, just from the original 150, which is the best water pokemon?
I've just updated the thread title to make the topic a little more clear.

From the original 150 only, my favorite 2 Water types are Starmie and Golduck. Both of them should be Water/Psychic type (why Golduck isn't is beyond me), but I've still liked using both of them across different playthroughs of the games. Funny enough, another of my favorites is Slowking- an evolution of one of the originals, and yet another Water/Psychic Pokemon.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
My absolute favorite was Blastoise if I started with Squirtle. But the Water type I came to use if I didn't choose Squirtle was Gyrados. Which I evolved from the Magikarp you can buy just before Mt. Moon. It was a long hassle to get that 'Karp to 20, but the payoff was well worth it.

Actually beat Lance with it, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Back