• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Should more characters be playable in X&Y?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, ever since the R/B/G/Y games have past, it's been generally a tradition of pokemon to have at least 2 silent characters, both male and female that are playable, and it's a safe bet to assume that it's going to remain that way. However, if I may ask, should there be an opportunity to play as different characters in Pokemon X and Y, like as, say, your possible rival(s)? Perhaps even if it's not for the main portion of the game, but with certain events or side-quests.

Any thoughts?

blue

gucci
Years
For the main story of the game I think they should stick to the two protagonists rule but it would be fun to play as different characters in side stories. For example you could play as a Gym Leader and challenge opponents to have the experience of actually being a Gym Leader using your desired strategy just for fun.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
What I think would be good is if we could choose a character's sprite. But since it seems we're gonna be able to customize our character... Who knows if that's not going to happen?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I think it would be great if you got to be able to do some side quests while controlling some other player. Like you'd be battling other trainers with their Pokémon and doing alot of things possible.

But I'm not sure if it's going to happen, but I'd wish for it to happen though. :x

Guy

just a guy
Years
The way I see it, the protagonist is our surrogate in the games. The male/female protagonists are taking the role of us, the players, and telling a tale of the journey we're on from our perspective. Pokémon has always been told from a first person point of view. Our view. Given the chance to control other characters (i.e. our rivals), it would sort of be like making a choice for someone else. It'd be like more or less controlling another person who is not us.

I think Pokémon works best with a male / female protagonist to play as. Not that I don't think it would be cool to play as other characters, even for a small side plot, but I prefer the way it's currently been designed all these years.

IF character customization is finally something that has been integrated into the games, as speculated, then I think it would make the characters feel all that more personal to the player. Which, I'm totally all for.

Years
They might bring back what they did in Gen IV with picking up a sidekick for a short time and being able to battle WITH them. (Such as Cheryl in Eterna Forest.) That's really the only thing I see them doing.

I completely agree with Aerilyn.

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
I agree with Aerilyn. I want to stick with only being my character. I feel like they are me. They are meant to represent you. That's the main reason we're able to name them (despite it not working out for us with eight characters in our names), choose their gender, and make their choices. And it seems like in this game you can customize them so it makes them even more personalized.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
That would definitely be interesting, but I don't see them varying too far from the norm with a silent protagonist. It would just be too different, imo, but of course here we are in 3D so... anything could happen.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I personally think it's fine having 2 protagonists, as usual. But to make things different, I really want a customize character feature, like others. Even if many others are using the same protagonist as you, yours can still be different, and however you want it.

But it would be cool to play as other main characters in a minigame, possibly.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I think it might be interesting if you occasionally took control of gym leaders for side quests.

For the most part though I'm happy just sticking with my main character.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
They wouldn't do that. What would they do about catching Pokemon if you were another character? You'd probably be extremely limited in what you could do, so it's better to simply remain the character they have assigned for you.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Do what they did with ~Explorers of the Sky~.
When you reach certain points of them game, you unlock side stories, involving important Characters or Frequent appearing characters from the game, and who they got involved in the line of the Heroes. Or, something like that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't think that would happen, I think it's more about the protagonist's journey so I'm not sure how they could incorporate someone else into this but... I guess maybe?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think they'd be changing that formula any time soon. :/ If they were to add a part that you could be someone else, it'd probably be some small side thing and wouldn't last long.

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
Well, ever since the R/B/G/Y games have past, it's been generally a tradition of pokemon to have at least 2 silent characters, both male and female that are playable, and it's a safe bet to assume that it's going to remain that way. However, if I may ask, should there be an opportunity to play as different characters in Pokemon X and Y, like as, say, your possible rival(s)? Perhaps even if it's not for the main portion of the game, but with certain events or side-quests.

Any thoughts?

If DLC were to happen, this would be cool.

They might bring back what they did in Gen IV with picking up a sidekick for a short time and being able to battle WITH them. (Such as Cheryl in Eterna Forest.) That's really the only thing I see them doing.

I completely agree with Aerilyn.
My firend has a bad experience with those guys. *cough*...Bianca...*cough* He saw a shiny Boldore and she killed it. He now hates NPC partners.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I don't think taking control of another character is really possible, since you would supposedly have to take a whole new party of Pokémon for the time-being (which would be the Pokémon equivalent of what happens in other RPGs). It's not impossible, but it may be off-putting for some players.

Something I've always wanted, however, is the choice between 4 protagonists: male and female, child and adult.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I'd be quite happy with just being able to fully customize my character in terms of appearance, and then just being given costumes (even through DLC if they feel the need...but not paid DLC, thank you) to alter their appearance as I saw fit. Major NPCs in Pokemon games are typically rivals, gym leaders/E4 members, or antagonists, and I can't imagine playing as any of those at the expense of the main character.

What might be nice, though, would be getting to control your Pokemon, instead of your character, ala Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Maybe have your character get locked up by the evil team and separated from their Pokeballs...so your Pokemon comes out and tries to find you, battling through hostiles on the way. Could be a fun little break from the routine.

Being able to control NPC partners, so they'd be more like an additional party member than an annoying and incompetent tag-along good only for restoring your Pokemon's HP after every battle, would be nice, though.

Back