• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whats the point of Splash?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Gen 1 it was funny/cute. Then they kept it in the rest of the gens. Yes I know Magikarp uses it well, but it can just have tackle.

Does anyone know why Splash is still in this?

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
Years
There is no point. Mainly just for fun.
Was actually useful in Cute constests, but it does jack-squat in battle.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
The point was so that Magikarp, which is stated in all of his Pokédex entries to be very weak, could not attack his opponents at all (at least before level... what, 15?) , thus justifying the Pokédex entries.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
In my opinion, Splash could indicate that the user Pokemon is frail and weak and without much power. Look at Magikarp and Hoppip, for example. Both of them learn Splash by default. Magikarp is, of course, Magikarp, and Hoppip gets blown away by the slightest breeze.

In the spinoff games such as PMD however, Splash does 5 damage to both the user and the opponent, so it's essentially both somewhat useful and useless at the same time. xD

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I always thought Splash as a novelty move, kind of like Corvidae said. It's the most useless move ever and only really meant to be silly and it's become pretty iconic to Pokemon games and therefore they choose to keep it in the games.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
The pokemon that usually learn Splash evolve into something pretty cool so it could be considered a "test" or grind while you train it.

What makes no sense is the fact that we're able to pass "Splash" as an egg move!

Years
The point was so that Magikarp, which is stated in all of his Pokédex entries to be very weak, could not attack his opponents at all (at least before level... what, 15?) , thus justifying the Pokédex entries.

This is exactly what I thought the only reason for it was. But yeah I just started playing black 2 today and I have already come across it! Oh dear...

Years
I like to believe it has a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002% chance of 1-KO the enemy. But like AWSquared said. I would be devastated if they were to remove it.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Doesn't "splash" have an actual meaning in its Japanese interpretation? It literally means something else over there, and it made more sense. I swear I saw a topic like that on this forum before. Where are those guys to explain it when you need em?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Doesn't "splash" have an actual meaning in its Japanese interpretation? It literally means something else over there, and it made more sense. I swear I saw a topic like that on this forum before. Where are those guys to explain it when you need em?

Its Japanese name is Hop.

Dunno if that was what you meant, but seriously Bounce and Hop aren't that different name wise. Splash is still useless as it was made to be XD

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
Magikarp is not the only Pokemon that only knows Splash for awhile you know. Hoppip was like that too. In fact, you could call it the Magikarp of generation 2. Azurill, Spoink, Feebas, Wailmer, Wynaut, and Buneary are also Pokemon that use this.
Why it is there however, is pretty obvious. For some of these Pokemon it's to make them less easy to train since that's the only move they can know for awhile and discourages people from using them even though they may be much more powerful then they seem. Pokemon that can know other moves as well as splash ether have it so it can take up a move slot or it serves as making them weaker targets to help train your Pokemon. Splash can also be useful in battle in several cases. For instance, if an opponent uses Metronome, Mimic, Bide, Counter, etc, using Splash (or having Splash as move that exists) can make it more difficult to pull off such maneuvers.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I wonder the same thing. I also wonder why its a Normal-type move and not a Water-type move, seeing as water is needed to splash.

In the Japanese versions, the move has no connection to water and is called "Hop". Hence the Normal type. It was only translated as "Splash" because back then Magikarp was the only Pokémon to use it, so that worked.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Right-o, that was it. It doesn't make it less useless, but it did make more sense in context as to why other Pokemon used it.

That localization, man. Can't live without it, but sometimes you can certainly question it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Splash is mainly in the games/anime as a "flavor" move; it was originally introduced to emphasize Magikarp's uselessness.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Not sure what I would do without Splash. Probably stop using Protect when I suspect it's coming.

Back