• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rare wild Pokemon!

Altair1

Willpower
Years
It's been one long hour spent hunting a Nosepass in Mt. Coronet in my Platinum Version. It has a very low 5% chance of appearing, I'm the type of player who must catch all Pokemon that are available in the area before moving on!
Thanks to the Nosepass who doesn't wish to show itself, I've created this thread to ask you all if you ever bother pursuing these 'rare' Pokemon for a Pokedex entry or new team member, no matter how long it takes?

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Urgh don't even talk to me about those ones.

I spent hours in one playthrough of Diamond or Pearl looking for the fabled Feebas, only to get frustrated and give up.

and now I'm playing through Diamond. Sunday just gone I went into Wayward cave and spent hours wandering lost looking for Gible only to find I WAS IN THE WRONG DARN CAVE. *mumble grumble* "Sorry Mario, you're Gible's in another cave that you can't access right now. But lol look at how nooby you are running around lost in here" :/

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I've finally caught the Compass Pokemon! phew... Now I can continue this game! xD

I spent hours in one playthrough of Diamond or Pearl looking for the fabled Feebas, only to get frustrated and give up.

and now I'm playing through Diamond. Sunday just gone I went into Wayward cave and spent hours wandering lost looking for Gible only to find I WAS IN THE WRONG DARN CAVE. *mumble grumble* "Sorry Mario, you're Gible's in another cave that you can't access right now. But lol look at how nooby you are running around lost in here" :/

I've never ever looked for a Feebas, the method of finding one is crazy! Imagine Magikarp being that difficult to find...
That must of hurt to find out haha, I don't think I've ever looked for a Pokemon in the wrong area, however your mix up at Wayward cave is understandable. ;P

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Well, back when I played Pokémon Crystal, I spent a long while trying to find Larvitar in Mt. Silver. Supposedly they're the rarest to find in that area. I do believe I captured one after awhile but I don't think I ever evolved it (because the game ended up drying up and erasing everything). I was close to getting Raikou too, but it'd use Roar or run away before I could capture it, and I had it super weakened too.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Well, back when I played Pokémon Crystal, I spent a long while trying to find Larvitar in Mt. Silver. Supposedly they're the rarest to find in that area. I do believe I captured one after awhile but I don't think I ever evolved it (because the game ended up drying up and erasing everything). I was close to getting Raikou too, but it'd use Roar or run away before I could capture it, and I had it super weakened too.

Uh, yeah I remember those times, I had Gold Version, Larvitar was a pain to catch actually due to it's low level and encounter rate...

Nothing worse than trapping a roamer, then having it use roar on you... :c
I've noticed finding the roamers is incredibly easy in D/P/Pt compared to past generations, all you have to do is use the Poketch App (Marking Map) to track it's movements while alternating your location, waiting for it to appear in your area, guaranteeing an encounter with the Pokemon every minute or so...

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I'm more lazze-faire when it comes to rare Pokémon. If one jumps into my face while I'm traveling, I will not knock it out or run without catching it, but I don't go out of my way to have encounters with them either.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I remember having to catch a Feebas for my challenge run just to realize I had to drop the challenge because I didn't have the good amount of berries in order to evolve it.

Also, the legendary beast are a real pain to get. hoping they're in your area and going to the right patch of grass and them hoping they won't run away or use Roar in you. Ugh, bad memories.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Uh, yeah I remember those times, I had Gold Version, Larvitar was a pain to catch actually due to it's low level and encounter rate...

Nothing worse than trapping a roamer, then having it use roar on you... :c
I've noticed finding the roamers is incredibly easy in D/P/Pt compared to past generations, all you have to do is use the Poketch App (Marking Map) to track it's movements while alternating your location, waiting for it to appear in your area, guaranteeing an encounter with the Pokemon every minute or so...

I recently learned that you can use Max Repel to keep all Pokémon away while trying to find the legendary dogs, as they will be the only ones you encounter until the repel wears off. I need to try that.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016

Actually, it's supposed to be "Thank you Mario, but your Gible is in another cave."

Note that I said "your" instead of "our" because it is not "our" Gible.

@CloysterOyster You use the Master Ball to catch Raikou/Entei.

If you already used the Master Ball on a (*boat horn*) Pidgey, (*lion roar*) you! But if you really don't have the Master Ball anymore, Quick Balls will have a greater catch rate than an Ultra Ball, if used on the first turn, and when a roaming Pokemon is weakned, you can let it run away, and when you encounter it again, it will be as weak as the last encounter, making for a great Quick Ball chance.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Actually, it's supposed to be "Thank you Mario, but your Gible is in another cave."

Note that I said "your" instead of "our" because it is not "our" Gible.

@CloysterOyster You use the Master Ball to catch Raikou/Entei.

If you already used the Master Ball on a (*boat horn*) Pidgey, (*lion roar*) you! But if you really don't have the Master Ball anymore, Quick Balls will have a greater catch rate than an Ultra Ball, if used on the first turn, and when a roaming Pokemon is weakned, you can let it run away, and when you encounter it again, it will be as weak as the last encounter, making for a great Quick Ball chance.

I forgot that Quick Balls existed. I should try that next time. I used the Master Ball on Lugia my last time.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I recently learned that you can use Max Repel to keep all Pokémon away while trying to find the legendary dogs, as they will be the only ones you encounter until the repel wears off. I need to try that.

That's true as long as your lead Pokemon's level isn't higher than theirs...
That even works for rare Pokemon in the wild, for example, the Nosepass I mentioned at the start of this thread appears at Lv.18, many other wild Pokemon in the same area appear at lower levels. Placing a Lv.18 Pokemon first in your team with a repel guarantees a much higher chance into running into a Nosepass, however I was lazy to buy repels and didn't have any Lv.18 Pokemon... ;P

I forgot that Quick Balls existed. I should try that next time. I used the Master Ball on Lugia my last time.

Yeah, quick balls are very effective. Caught Tornadus (Black) and Cresselia (Pearl) at full health. The only Pokemon I'd ever use my master ball on is Mesprit, Mew or Mewtwo.

Years
The main ones I have trouble with are Pikachu on R/B/FR/LG and Ralts on R/S/E which have 5% and 4% encounter rates respectively. Unfortunately each of these are valuable members of my team on these games so I have to wait as long as it takes which tends to be longer than you'd expect with those rates of chance. Plus I tend to kill everything else that appears so my starter is usually too well trained for me to risk attacking Pikachu/Ralts to damage it.

Waiting for a 5% chance Dugtrio in Diglett cave was always that bit extra annoying because the majority of Digletts wasted your time with arena trap.

There are probably others, but I'm struggling to remember any at the moment.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
The main ones I have trouble with are Pikachu on R/B/FR/LG and Ralts on R/S/E which have 5% and 4% encounter rates respectively.

Apparently in R/S Surskit has a 1% chance of appearing in route 102, same goes for Seedot in Emerald! Both of these Pokemon only appear at Lv.3 so you can't even use the 'repel' trick to increase your encounter rate.

However you can obtain a Seedot in an in-game trade and as for Surskit, they swarm in that same area on certain days increasing their encounter rate to 15% ... But if you wanted one at the start of the game, you'd best be patient!

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Waiting for a 5% chance Dugtrio in Diglett cave was always that bit extra annoying because the majority of Digletts wasted your time with arena trap.

There's an option around the Arena Trap ability. Flying-type Pokémon are unaffected by Arena Trap. You can also Repel Trick a Level 25 or Higher Pokémon so that the Diglett never appear and you can ensure the next encounter is a Dugtrio, but it will take a while even using this trick.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I try and look for certain rare Pokemon- however things like Dunsparce aren't really worth hunting for. Although I do tend to use quite a few rare Pokemon since they make valuable team members and despite the amount of time you have to spend searching all over the place for them, in the end it really is worth it. I tend to catch things like Ralts, Pikachu and Teddiursa when it comes to 'rare' Pokemon.

Years
i love ralts because of fond memories, so i always go after it. other than that, aside from collecting for pokedex, i dont really go after really rare pokemon because they dont tend to interest me. often the pokemon i like to use occur at the very start of the game. why train a pikachu with volt tackle when i can use a luxray? but since i bought a gardevoir vs blaziken pokemon card pack, i always have the pair on teh same team and go after ralts

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Heracross...I spent days slathering honey and headbutting trees, yet I only find a bunch of worms and bees :(

(ooh that rhymed!)

Also looking for Pikachu in the garden behind that mansion in Sinnoh took a long time for me.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Heracross...I spent days slathering honey and headbutting trees, yet I only find a bunch of worms and bees :(

(ooh that rhymed!)

Also looking for Pikachu in the garden behind that mansion in Sinnoh took a long time for me.

I see what you did there ;P ... Honey trees are tedious when it comes to looking for a rare Pokemon, especially if you want it early on in the game and you don't have access to much honey trees at all. Searching for Munchlax on honey trees is a real challenge though, apparently it's only in certain trees, with a 1% chance of appearing?

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
Upon trying to complete my 3rd Generation Pokedex, I was missing a few Pokemon. One was Gorbyss (which I could get easily, but held off) and the other was Chimecho. I had the 3rd Generation Pokedex Guide Book, so I knew it was at Mt. Pyre, but I had never encountered one in ANY of my previous 3rd generation journeys. So...I go there.

At first, I look inside of Mt. Pyre. Wasted 30 minutes looking inside on each floor. Ugh.

Then I, of course, went outside and looked in the first area for maybe 30 minutes again. Nope...

Finally, I go to the top and look around after looking up a location guide. Took me a freaking hour of just running around, ripping my hair, taking yelling and punching breaks, to finally find it to realize I had nothing but a few regular Poke Balls, which all failed upon attempt.

Holy...freaking...crap.

I turn off the game in pure anger and never get back to it until a few hours later. Buy some Ultra Balls and went back. Took me somewhere around 10 minutes to find the stupid thing again.

Shiny.

Caught the beautiful sum-um-uh-bish and felt so great. Made sure to save 5 different times and slept good that night.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In Sapphire and Emerald, I didn't go on until I caught a Ralts, which was so excruciatingly hard to find. In Black 2 and White 2, I didn't leave Flocessy Ranch until I caught Riolu.

Back