• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Will 5th gen still be relevant?

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
For some reason I finished White 2 before White...
For me, those two are games I probably won't re-play. : )

Years
The thing about Pokemon games is that they're timeless. Literally. I haven't beaten Black 1 yet, but I plan to, and then Black 2, then hopefully get a job, 3DS and X. I may not beat Black again, but I'll certainly play it to catch other Pokemon. To compare, I played Red and Silver from start to finish over, and over, and over again.

I don't know how many of you have played the original games, but I think the internet killed a certain aspect of Pokemon. It's now very easy to get ANY Pokemon you want through strangers online.. so that kills the "start new game, get different starter" aspect.

tl;dr - I think people will continue to play this generation to catch the Pokemon they haven't before and refresh their memories. A lot of people will buy the 3DS and then have 2 systems so they can trade with themselves.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
In my opinion 5th gen pokemon are garbage. Literally the garbage pokemon exists. I don't think it will be relevant.. It just seems like they focused more on visuals and less on story line, which really irks me. They are still going the same direction with XY which also hurts me.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I think all Gens except for the first two would still be relevant provided that transferring from older Gens is supported in these upcoming games. If not then I just won't feel so motivated to play my Gen III, IV and V games... or maybe I will, other players differ I guess.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
While the spotlight will be shifted to Gen VI,
there are still others that will continue to play older games,
especially the games with Wi-Fi compatibility,
as they are able to continue to trade and battle.

There are also players that will replay their own games,
in fact I'm revisiting Sinnoh with my Diamond and Pearl.
I'm close to battling Fantina in both games and wish me luck!

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
I don't get why people hate on garbodor. Unova is based off of New York so of course there's a ton of garbage bags there! Same with like stray cats, pigeons, and rats running around. Look at Muk he's practically a purple garbodor. Klink I can understand. And I will not play them because I lost them.:P Sucks for me I guess, but I still got my platinum and heart gold version.

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2022
I'm sure I'll still play White 2 after I get X or Y even though it'll be on a different system. Heck, I still play Blue and Red on my Gameboy

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I am currently playing Soul Silver and Platinum. I didn't play Gen V until B2W2 came out. I beat Black 2 but still haven't even gotten halfway through White. Gen V is by far the worst in my opinion. After I beat Y I will continue to play the older Gens but Gen V will probably be dead to me. I only get on them now due to the fact they are the most recent. I use Black 2 for storage and both Gen V games to collect Mystery Gifts. I won't need them for either reason come October.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Gen V isn't even relevant now. I've seen more people restart older games during this generation than I have before. I think gen V will pretty much be forgotten once X and Y are released.

Years
I don't know about these guys, but i'll always like Gen V, just like I do every other. As people have said, there are those that still play the older generations and they're discussed commonly, so yes, i'm sure it will still be relevant.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Every competitive battler will flock over to X&Y. In that sense, Gen V won't be much relevant.

Yeah but competitive battlers are the minority among Pokémon players. It's a given that competitive battling moves to the latest game, but there are still people who play the older games regardless.

Actually, even that scene doesn't have a direction yet. Most of the competitive battlers hack their Pokémon, and this isn't possible in the 3DS. And Smogon no longer has the head start they once did when they could test the moves and abilities in the Japanese version and port them to their simulator. It will be an era of discovery and everyone will start from zero when the games are released. Of course, hacked Pokémon could still be transferred from earlier games, but at least the new Pokémon won't be able to be hacked.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I see a lot of people playing games from all generations for nuzlockes, and I think Black/White will not be an exception. There are many pokemon fans who do not plan to buy a 3DS for XY or who dislike the look of 3D compared to sprites. These will give reasons for people to still play Gen V.

Years
I wouldn't quite say it would be irrelevant once the release of the 6th generation comes out, but I understand that it will be more deprecated along the way (my example being how the Dream World will no longer be accessible).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Generation four has lost most of its relevancy few months after the fifth gen. games were released, so I think generation five will most likely go through the same thing. I haven't completed Pokémon Black 2 or White 2 yet, though, so there's a slight chance that I'll still play one of these games when Pokémon X and Y are released.

JorgeAamelo

Reality Bender
Years
I think the 5th Generation will just low it's popularity in the online tools, as even today its already hard to find a battle sometimes (or maybe it's just me) but as for the games, I believe that they will probably still be played by a part of the Pokémon Fans, as it was actually an important gen with all the new features it bought as well as the first actual sequel games to the originals, its probably, in my opinion, the most story-deep pokémon games so far and should definitely still be played.

In my own regret I have to admit that I have basically "ditched" the Pokémon Franchise for quite a while, and haven't shown a single interest to my either 4th Generation or 5th Generation Games and as well as the impact of Pokémon had on me, but I believe the day where I pick my old games again and starting play them again that the whole magic will come back, and that day won't take long to happen.

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
I think for those who enjoy playing previous gens, and collecting pokemon from them gen 5 will always be relevant. But of course it will lose its popularity in comparison to the newer gen as they all have before. I will still be playing Black/Black 2 though. I haven't even bought Black 2 yet, and am still on Black (post-Elite Four). I want to play it before I buy Y.

Darkendra

Leader Of Team Dark Shade
Years
Once Gen VI comes out Gen V will of course be obsolete.
Why else would they just take all those wonderful things from the GTS?
Why else would they not try to make enough room or even have a separate server specifically for Pokemon X and Pokemon Y?
After X & Y come out most people playing B/W or B2/W2 will be bored out of their minds.
I for one have already gotten all 649 in the Pokedex.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
This is what annoyed me, how long did Gen 4 go? 2006-2010 (Japan)/2007-2011 (Rest of the world), previous Generations went for the same amount of time or a bit shorter, Gen V was the shortest yet, spanning three years in Japan and two and a half in the rest of the world. To Nintendo, it won't be relevant, but to us, it will be...

Back