• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Too old for Pokemon arguments

Years
  • Age 32
  • Iowa
  • Seen Nov 16, 2012
I'm 21 and the other day my brother, who is a very mature 18, asked me why I still play Pokemon. I countered with "If I'm too old for pokemon, you are too old for CoD!" Because the way I see it is that pokemon is just another video game rated "E for Everyone" and there is no age limit.

Concur?

Detwak

Meh.
Years
Of course! My brother is 26 and he's still watching Pokemon. His also the one who got me into Pokemon when I was 4, he was 17 at the time.

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
Just as Detwak said, you're never too old to play a game. If you find it entertaining, who is anyone else to deny you of playing it?

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
just as well everybody has said,you are never to old to play a game even if people say the game is childish they probably play some sorta game that is "childish". It's a game do you think the 40-year man who was waiting at the midnight release of black ops 2 felt childish even though he was up at midnight and probably had a job to get to in the morning.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Never too old for anything in my opinion. Pokémon included. Just because you don't fit into the target audience does not mean you shouldn't like something, if anything it simply means that you don't play by the age rules when it comes to marketing. Which in turn, makes you more original.

Pokémon may not be as serious in themes as Call of Duty, but it's not any less realistic in my opinion. All games are artificial realities, and what reality you wish to be in is entirely up to you. I'd personally much rather be in a reality where things are peaceful and positive than one plagued with war.

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
These arguments are from people who don't play the game. There's no reason to even acknowledge it as a valid argument. Don't judge a book by its covers.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Never too old for anything except living with your parents. I kick people like that.

Stasis

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
Never too old for anything except living with your parents. I kick people like that.

I think it is interesting that you bring this up, because I somewhat agree and disagree. I don't mean to shift the topic of this thread, but, what age do you think that limit is exactly? In your own opinion.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I have a swedish friend who's 14, and he asks me ALL the time why I play Pokemon. I really pity him for missing out on one of this generations most defining turn-based games of all time.

I think he said it's just too childish for him. I guess we all have different opinions, but when he asks me why I play, I say "Did you skype call me to insult me, or did we skype call to have fun?"

Years
  • Age 32
  • Iowa
  • Seen Nov 16, 2012
Thank you all! I wasn't complaining (although it does get rather frustrating with people making cracks about my playing so frequently) I'm just glad I found a forum full of Pokemon fans! (And realizing I'm not the only one who is the recepient of such jokes...)

lizzzz

I want to be the very best!
Years
Don't feel bad! I'm the same age and I'm a daily player. I don't really get any flack for me playing (and trust me, I play every time I have some down time) besides that I don't engage with the world when I'm playing because I get so into it! Anyway, you're never too old for pokemon! I don't really keep up with the show, but I will youtube an old episode like "Hey You, Pikachu!" when I'm feeling nostalgic. So, in short, continue to train without shame!

dunnjean

The Most Awesome Of Them All
Years
I'm 11 and my peers constantly tell me I need to "Stop it with the anime crap, you're too old." I don't know why. I think people are getting influenced to stay away from anything considered 'nerdy' or 'geeky.'

Fuyuki~

Banned
Years
You shouldn't feel bad about liking what you like. If anybody gives you ****, just argue back with some basic logic. Basic logic being that you don't have to be a kid to like certain shows. You can also point out that the Pokemon Metagame is in fact very complicated and difficult to get into. Even someone 18 years old might have a difficult time learning all of this stuff if you put aside trying to get them to play it.

You have to be pretty immature to honestly think that just because you're old you can enjoy something like Pokemon or cartoons. I've also had people mention that if I am so accepting of Pokemon, why I'm so opposed to MLP because the argument I use is basically the same as mine when I defend my interest in Pokemon. Some people just don't understand why I hate MLP... Not going to go into detail and derail this topic though.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
In a sense, yeah, you are too old for Pokemon. You are not the target consumer to begin with and it's not something an adult would take interest in considering the childish themes.

Are you too old to enjoy it, however? Nope. Do whatever you want.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
In a sense, yeah, you are too old for Pokemon. You are not the target consumer to begin with and it's not something an adult would take interest in considering the childish themes.

I think you are wrong. Some adults still play it because it is nostalgic. I'm 19 and i still play it. I love it because it is what I grew up with. So if you enjoy it and want to keep up with it, it shouldn't be a big deal. Ignore the *** that people tell you; keep playing if you enjoy it!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I think you are wrong. Some adults still play it because it is nostalgic. I'm 19 and i still play it. I love it because it is what I grew up with. So if you enjoy it and want to keep up with it, it shouldn't be a big deal. Ignore the *** that people tell you; keep playing if you enjoy it!
I think you completely missed my point and this:
Are you too old to enjoy it, however? Nope. Do whatever you want.

Although, yeah, you are right at one thing: It's only nostalgia.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
i suppose. hacks are also good, but i stopped at fire red. i still don't think you are ever too old for anything, except the playground at mcdonald's lol.

Years
You're never too old for Pokemon. I still play the games and watch the anime at age 20, and I don't plan on giving up anytime soon.

I literally grew up with Pokemon, it was one of my first loves. So as the meme says, keep calm and play Pokemon!

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I'm 15 and I still love Pokemon. There's a few people at my school who are 18 who also play Pokemon. I honestly think Pokemon takes more maturity to play than COD. And Pokemon barely takes any if you know what I mean.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I don't think you can ever be too old to enjoy the concept of Pokemon, provided that you turn a blind eye to its many flaws.

However, I think a mature and intelligent brain can become bored very quickly from playing such a simple, repetitive game unless you spend the whole time calculating the damage. If ever I play a Pokemon game it's for the nostalgia effect, and I think if you get to roughly 10 years old without having played Pokemon, it's too late for you. The concept of Pokemon is brilliant, however, and it would be nice if the target audience eventually broadens to accommodate brainier geeks who require a significantly deeper exploration of the Pokemon world to satisfy their minds.

It would be wonderful to explore an open world like in assassin's creed and grand theft auto, it would bring some proper fantasy back to gaming, and it would be even better if they could make it non-violent. The worst thing about games at the moment is that, aside from sports games, it's all about killing people. It's unpleasant and so boring.

Last edited:
Back