• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 19, 2024
tate and liza. I hated them so much. earlier in my pokemon days i would only raise one or two pokemon. i thought if i did that i should be overleveled. i was wrong. when i got to them, they wiped the floor with me. i was a bit stupid for getting 2 wailords and no sharpedos. at that time i didnt think anything about types.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
Years
Roxanne's Nosepass used to grind my gears, I also remember Norman's Slaking causing problems

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Since I don't use a set team, the gym leaders' strategies aren't much of an issue. I rotate through pokemon constantly, and for gym battles, I put together a team specifically for that gym, so I always have multiple ways of dealing with something if one doesn't work (which got me through Tate and Liza fine). The only things that pose a problem are individual pokemon who are good enough on their own that they're a challenge even though I'm prepared for them. Of those, the toughest is probably Juan's Kingdra, followed closely by Wallace's Milotic, so that's my vote. Norman's Slaking isn't far behind though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
Tate & Liza, then Norman is a close second (or third...). Lunatone and Solrock whopped my ass a bunch of times until I was able to beat them, and Slaking gave me a really hard time too.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
Tate And Liza. All the Way. I can't count the number of times I had to fight them before I won. Unless you bothered to pick up a Duskull or a Mudkip at the beginning, you really couldn't fight against them

Years
  • Seen May 25, 2013
The third gym (Wattson) was really annoying.. he kept using Shock Wave all over again.. I mean, he used it nine times in a row. Even worse, every time I changed my Pokémon, it didn't even get the chance to strike against him..

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Tate & Liza were in my opinion the hardest Gym Leaders. Both their pokemon had a way higher Level than mine at that time and they always teamed up on one of my pokemon.
Since i always pick Torchic, these guys were always extra hard for me

Torrentblade

Bring on the flood.
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
I would say Wallace, it is hard taking out all water types with all water types....

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
Tate and Liza.
I usually pick Torchic for 3rd Gen runs (and it's my second favorite Pokémon, so...), which ends up with me usually struggling against dem Earthquakes.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2023
No matter what starter I pick, Winona actually gives me a ton of trouble. Her Altaria is just...ugh.

Watson is sometimes tough, as is Norman.

Tate and Liza are only tough in Emerald. :P

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
For me Tate and Lisa were absolute pushovers, but Flannery knocked my team flat multiple times in my last run, it got annoying.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Tate and Liza were pretty damn hard back when I played Emerald my first time. Probably cause my team revolved around my starter and my legend lol. When I actually put in strategy and effort they were all pretty easy, 'cept Norman. That damn Slaking.

JustChillin810

xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx
Years
I would have to agree with SlitWeaver Norman was by far the hardest for me because of his Slaking as well. Its defense was indestructible and I always had a balanced team with a lot of speed so it took all of my pokémon out with only about two shots.

Last edited:

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
Years
I recently started replaying Emerald a few days back, and after 10 tries w/ Brawly, Tate&Liza are so much more difficult. Time to catch a sharpedo, I guess!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
WOW. Where to start. Well, for me, "Daddy" is the hardest, Slaking with that Yawn and high defense... *shivers* But all of them had their own strengths, and the difficulty is really based on who you have on your team. Even with Treecko Roxanne's Nosepass was hard. Then Wattson the Magnemite/Magneton's typing made it difficult since I didn't have anyone strong for fighting against him. Tate and Liza were actually easy, seeing I'd carry a Mightyena and Sceptile for a Bite/Leaf Blade combo.

Back