• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should the legal age for marriage be raised?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Getting married at 16, 18, younger? Preposterous! I believe that the age should be raised to at least 25, for maturity reasons. What do you think about this subject?

Zet

Years
While I'm fine with 18 being a good age for people to get married since they're deemed an "adult" in society, I don't think the laws should enforce any rules on two people loving each other.

inb4religiousdebate

Years
I do think the minimum age limit should be somewhere mid twenties. As it has already been said, it is because younger people do tend to be rather hasty in their decision making and it does take a great deal of maturity and understanding of one another for two people to go into holy matrimony.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
While I'm fine with 18 being a good age for people to get married since they're deemed an "adult" in society, I don't think the laws should enforce any rules on two people loving each other.

inb4religiousdebate

18 is a great age; most people won't marry at 18, though. They generally wait until 21+ for that, and might get engaged before that.

I'd like to have married at 16 my fiance (since we were just going to get married at 18 anyway, and it would have avoided a lot of issues with his over-religious parents), but you need parental permission at that age. I'll be 18 this year so it's all good :] Getting married in October, just after our 3rd-year anniversary in August. I'll have known him for almost four years by that time, and lived with him for two without issues, so for those deeming 18 too young in this case, I think you're crazy since you won't find a couple as loving and loyal as us :<

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
But marriage is still a big step, not everyone knows what they're getting themselves into with marriage. It's like speeding your childhood ahead, in a way. Next thing it'll be a house, kids, all by 20 or so? D:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
But marriage is still a big step, not everyone knows what they're getting themselves into with marriage. It's like speeding your childhood ahead, in a way. Next thing it'll be a house, kids, all by 20 or so? D:

Marriage =\= Kids; it's just a status to avoid issues / to obtain certain legal rights. It doesn't even prove love. It's just some papers you fill out to allow the government to see you as an actual couple. That's how it is today, anyway. I much prefer the religious view on it, though (where marriage is for love and is only done between a woman and a man who are loyal, respectful, and over-their-heels in love), and that's what I go by.

There's no set age for us for kids, either. It's merely "when we're financially capable". I'm assuming that'll be in around eight years :<

Icu Zettu

Years

18 is a great age; most people won't marry at 18, though. They generally wait until 21+ for that, and might get engaged before that.

I'd like to have married at 16 my fiance (since we were just going to get married at 18 anyway, and it would have avoided a lot of issues with his over-religious parents), but you need parental permission at that age. I'll be 18 this year so it's all good :] Getting married in October, just after our 3rd-year anniversary in August. I'll have known him for almost four years by that time, and lived with him for two without issues, so for those deeming 18 too young in this case, I think you're crazy since you won't find a couple as loving and loyal as us :<

Ahaha, if I had a penny for every time some lovey-dovey couple said that to me, I'd be one heck of a millionaire.

Incidentally, marriage is no topic one can juggle lightly. Remember, if you agree to marrying one another, you must take into mind that you will be waking up to the very same person every single day for the rest of your life. You've tied the knot, things can change. It's just as much as a risk for younger people as it is for those who make the decision much later because of the amount of experience they're unlikely to have at such at age, and how difficult it is more likely to be for them to keep up a steady lifestyle because they are at that age, and it isn't only just about conveniences such as living and dealing with accommodation, it's about making sure this is not some fly by night Broadway romance. Granted, love shouldn't have many boundaries, but it's better to think more deeply about what you're going to get into and assure with your partner whether or not it's the right thing to do.

Zet

Years

Ahaha, if I had a penny for every time some lovey-dovey couple said that to me, I'd be one heck of a millionaire.

Incidentally, marriage is no topic one can juggle lightly. Remember, if you agree to marrying one another, you must take into mind that you will be waking up to the very same person every single day for the rest of your life. You've tied the knot, things can change. It's just as much as a risk for younger people as it is for those who make the decision much later because of the amount of experience they're unlikely to have at such at age, and how difficult it is more likely to be for them to keep up a steady lifestyle because they are at that age. Granted, love shouldn't have many boundaries, but it's better to think more deeply about what you're going to get into and assure with your partner whether or not it's the right thing to do.

And then women created the divorce system to take everything away from their husband.... I mean ex-husband

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 14, 2011
Also, for someone so over-religious, why are you living together?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years

Incidentally, marriage is no topic one can juggle lightly. Remember, if you agree to marrying one another, you must take into mind that you will be waking up to the very same person every single night for the rest of your life. You've tied the knot, things can change. It's just as much as a risk for younger people as it is for those who make the decision much later because of the amount of experience they're unlikely to have at such at age, and how difficult it is more likely to be for them to keep up a steady lifestyle because they are at that age. Granted, love shouldn't have many boundaries, but it's better to think more deeply about what you're going to get into and assure with your partner whether or not it's the right thing to do.

I'd be rich, too, since people don't take marriage seriously anymore. It's merely something you "throw yourself into" after knowing each other for less than a year.

In this case, we met in January 2007, got together in August 2007, and this year will be our 3rd anniversary. We're a "rare" find, if you want, since we both don't believe in strip clubs, bars, drinking, drugs, disloyalty, looking at others of the opposite sex "in that way", going out with friends without the other partner tagging along... Loyalty, respect, and honesty are the top things that found our relationship. Sure, we get into misunderstandings sometimes, but we never sleep or go out or do stupid things when it happens. We calm down and fix it. Simple as that. No drama, no phoning up friends to bish about it "for fun". Nothing like that. After living with each other for over a year, it was great, regardless financial difficulties since I didn't have a SIN Card and my fiance was the only one capable of working. Two peas in a pod are we :] We don't even separate money; what we make is "ours" and is located in a joint bank account.

In our case, I do believe it's fine that we marry when I'm 18 and he's 25, since we've never run into any problems, and we always have each other's back. Never once have we threatened to "leave one another" if something bad occurs, and never once have we ever said "I wish I was with someone else" or something silly like that. I don't mind waking up to him everyday for the rest of my life; he's my sweetpea who cuddles with me and sings me to sleep.

For people who don't share such a type of relationship, though, I do believe they should wait :s Marriage is, like we've all confirmed so far, not something you toy with. It's a very holy, intimate thing, and I firmly believe once you marry a single time, it's not good to marry after a divorce. It'll just end up being a silly cycle.

Izanagi:

In the time of the Qu'ran, merely living together was a signification of being married. We look at it as already being married, but being incapable of acquiring the legal papers for it. In religion, though, we're technically married. It's only fanatics that demand for papers and whatnaught, unless the couple living together aren't as loyal and true as a couple is supposed to be (i.e. one's bound to cheat on the other). Then that's a problem; however, in this case, it's permissible.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 14, 2011
Wait, you've been living together for 2 years, and he's 25 right now? Pedophillia much?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
No. 18 is the age people turn into adults where I live and they should enjoy the full rights of adulthood then.

Infernape

fire power!
Years
I think the age is fine as it is. I've been with my Significant other for 4 years. I didn't propose to her until last month, I know it is a huge step. She's 22 and people say we're too young. We have our own house and are fairly stable with money (who is nowadays?) And I couldn't ever imagine my life without her. I'll give that 16 is a little young to be thinking about marriage, there are definitaly more important things to think about than that. You have to really sit and think about things. Can you honestly deal with living with that person forever? Can you protect them? Can you provide for them? Are you two able to actually exist together and make a family without fighting everyday?

xJordan360

plurfection.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Make it the same as drinking. 21 to get drank and get hitched. Sounds good to me.

Also, I'll just pretend I have the time to type up something as long and truthful as Signomi before I leave for school.

going out with friends without the other partner tagging along

-I have to say, it sounded fine until you said that. You give the impression you never go out with friends without him tagging along, and vice versa. Am I correct?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Wait, you've been living together for 2 years, and he's 25 right now? Pedophillia much?

Uhm, pedophilia is the sexual attraction to children. He would be a pedophile if I were 11, even 12. I'm almost 18. A 32-year-old attracted to a 17-year-old would be disgusting, but in this case, it's perfectly fine. After all, when he's 40, I'll be 33. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

xJordan360:

Normally, yes, we go everywhere together, since we find it more fun to always be beside each other. It's not a "trust" issue. We don't have friends of the opposite sex after all. Sometimes he'll go out with a male friend of his, but generally I go with him. It's a mutual thing.

Zet

Years
When she turned 16 it became cradle snatching.

But if I was to be in a long relationship like yours Yusshin, it would be the care free kind, we can hang out with who we want to hang out and still make time for each other. So you and your fiance really need to ease up on some stuff and not believing in strip clubs, drinking, etc won't make them go away any time soon XP

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 14, 2011
Legally, it's pedofillia for a 16 year old to have relations with a 23 year old.

xJordan360

plurfection.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
I think the age is fine as it is. I've been with my Significant other for 4 years. I didn't propose to her until last month, I know it is a huge step. She's 22 and people say we're too young. We have our own house and are fairly stable with money (who is nowadays?) And I couldn't ever imagine my life without her. I'll give that 16 is a little young to be thinking about marriage, there are definitaly more important things to think about than that. You have to really sit and think about things. Can you honestly deal with living with that person forever? Can you protect them? Can you provide for them? Are you two able to actually exist together and make a family without fighting everyday?

She's 22. You're 16.

You've been with her for four years...?

brb, math

When you started dating, you were 12, and she was 18 WUT?

Sidenote, on pedophilia, incorrect. It is not pedophilia, it is ephebophilia.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
..Either way, I still think Yusshin should wait a few years before marriage. The age difference just doesn't seem right in this case. Shouldn't need to rush.

Back