• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Shiny Experience

Zero Percent

Loading... Please wait
Years
Worst? My whole time I played FireRed. I was very young, and had no way of getting onto the internet, so I didn't know what a shiny was.

Anyway, I started it out, normal game. I was like, "Hmm, what starter.. lets choose this water turtle thing." It was shiny. I kid you not. My first ever pokemon was a shiny, and you know what I did? Restarted the game. I thought it was a glitch, and I said something like: "Dude, stars? What the heck.." So I reset my game and chose a Charmander. I played a bit, and got to Viridian Forest, and a Weedle poisoned me. It was also shiny. I was mad that it poisoned me, so I ran. I ran into a few others I can't remember well.

This is pretty much why I became a shiny hunter. I don't want my stupidness to run away from another shiny again.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
Years
I found a shiny Raticate in Gen II (can't remember if it was Gold, Silver or Crystal). I'm pretty sure I didn't catch it because I ran out of balls, but I didn't really care since Raticate is pretty useless in later battles anyways.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I had 4 shinies in Platinum (Roselia, Sneasel, Marill, Blissey) and another in HeartGold (Mewtwo). Unfortunately, I lost both games.

Iny Gage

Forum Dweller.
Years
Well, I personally haven't had any bad shiny moments but my brother had a really bad one.

My brother has NEVER caught a shiny pokemon before... I had 4, so he got frustrated and looked up how to use the Pokeradar after I told him he could potentially use that to get a shiny (All mine were found with pure luck). first couple times he failed but the 3rd one he got up to like a 50 streak on mightyenas. Eventually he found a shiny one and he was ecstatic.

Here is how the fight went

First he switched out of his killer Pokemon into a false swiper.
He used false swipe.
He threw an ultra ball that failed.
Mightyena used roar

All motivation was crushed in that moment.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
In Crystal on the cycling path near Celadon, I ran into a shiny Grimer. Yay! I use one weak attack to get her into yellow health. Grimer flees. WHAT/ THEDDWS EKDS WHYYY I don't visit the Safari Zone out of fear of having a shiny flee. Who designs this stuff?

Certain wild Pokémon can escape from battle. Pokémon that are legendary or found in the region's Safari Zone are the only ones who flee.

In Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, a few species of wild Pokémon can escape from battle. These Pokémon are more likely to be caught in a Fast Ball.
Low probability:
Magnemite
Grimer
Tangela

@Dragonmage: At least in Emerald and with your original save file where you saw Wally's blue Ralts, if you run into a shiny (for example) 43.67 seconds in the game upon boot up, you will always run into a shiny at 43.67 seconds upon boot up. The RNG is broken like that and can be abused without knowing the technical stuff. I'm fortunate enough to have my shiny frame appear in 40 seconds, rather than something like 3 hours from boot up.

Emilia1234

Relapsed
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
The only shiny I've ever encountered, in my seven years of playing Pokemon, was a random, non-radar Roselia while EV-training my Gardevoir. The DS ran out of battery.

d00bt00b

Genxo
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
I was Soft-Resetting for a shiny starter on Pokemon Ruby and found a shiny Poochyena, and the only other I ever saw was a shiny Slugma in Pokemon Emerald, and all I had was like four Pokeballs... I didn't catch it.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I've only seen three Shinies, and none at inopportune times. Shiny Nincada in Emerald (successful catch, now the one I am cloning for trades), and two Shiny Audinos in White 2 (how I ended up with a second chance at a Shiny Audino I'll never figure out). The first Shiny Audino, as you might be able to tell, got away; my first attack ended up being a crit. and down it went. Thankfully, I was able to catch the second without difficulty, so I haven't really missed out on anything Shiny.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 13, 2013
I can't really recall any bad shiny expriences. I do have a story of my friend running around bragging about his shiny sandshrew when we were doing a challenge speedrun of SoulSilver, but he shut up about it when I found a shiny koffing in burned tower ;)

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Well, there was one time I chained a shiny Budew. I got it at 6 on the chain, which does not happen often(there's a quite low chance of a shiny patch there, but I found one) I caught it and named it. I went and started another chain of Skitty and got it up to the 30's well, the chain then broke. I was so mad I turned off the DS. Now, this is what makes the experience bad: Id forgotten to save after catching the Budew. I think you can imagine how mad I was after that.

CrowSvenson

DarkTrainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
Shiny Rayquaza in Emerald. I had no balls with me. Yeah...
Then there was that shiny Electrode in the Rocket Hideout in SS...

lazy~

World's Laziest Trainer...
Years
I chained a Roselia with the Pokeradar back in platinum only to end up accidentally running from it. I've never made another attempt at finding another shiny since that day.

Da7kmagician

The very best there ever was
Years
I've been playing since R/S and played every game to the end after that (excluding B2/W2) and have never seen a shiny! I got shiny Entei with the pre-HG/SS event but that's it! The worst thing is when i got my cousin to play Sapphire she got a shiny on about her 3rd badge whiile I was helping her. Poképroblems :(

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I can think of two bad shiny experiences. One comes from Emerald, where I encountered a shiny in the Battle Pyramid. And the second came from Silver, where I found a shiny Tangela only to see it flee on the first chance it had. ;_;

Fortunately my good experiences outweigh those two, so I'm not too upset.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
The only wild shiny I have ever seen (aside from the garydos and the egg from the daycare center) was the first wild pokemon I fought in gsc. I had literally just stepped outside of newbark, into the grass after getting my cyndaquil and I saw a shiny. It sucked... after nearly 2k hours of pokmon playing, I still have yet to see another legit shiny.

Years
The worst shiny experience I've had recently was a shiny tangela in pokemon black or white version... not sure which one though

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
The only Shiny Pokémon I've ever encountered was a Tentacool on Ruby.
I caught it, but then a few months later I restarted.
I cry myself to sleep every night

Back