• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"We're friends now."

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Probably a difficult question for some. When does someone cross the line of being an acquaintance or someone you generally talk to enough to becoming your friend?

Years
I don't know man. I really don't. You've got me stumped on this one because I don't really know how to truly define a friend in the sense of a spectrum. Like, I can define it more easily in a binary like sense but in a scale like sense is beyond me. Maybe other responses to this topic can help me get a better understanding of how to answer your question.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's difficult, haha. I have a hard time making friends, so I don't know. I tend to just call acquaintances friends anyway because friends is a shorter word and easier to spell. But idk when they actually get into the friend qualification. I suppose that when they do, it's someone I enjoy talking to and possibly have their phone number so that we can talk regularly.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
It varies because everyone is different, but usually it's when I realize that I don't feel like the other person expects anything of me or likes me the way I am and enjoys talking to me/being around me, rather than them just being polite or nice, and when I feel the same way towards that person. Of course there are lots of different factors but this is just one that stands out. You can usually tell when you're on the same wavelength with someone and when you're not.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
An acquaintance is someone I don't mind being around, or a friend of a friend who I can tolerate being around.

A friend is someone I want to be around

Years
When you get to know them - once you know intimate details of their life, what they like, dislike, their habits, mannerisms, etc. And the same goes for when they realize that about you.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
That varies from person to person. I probably would have to know them relatively well. >_>

I don't much bother trying to 'make friends', though.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
Years
I count my friends as people I want to see, and if I can tell they want to see me as well.. Though now I'm unsure as I have had a recent unpleasant experience with my ex-best-friend.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The people who I consider 'friends' are the people who I feel like I can talk to about more important things than topics of everyday conversation. Actually talking about this stuff happens very rarely since I'm not too open with problems etc, but knowing that I would be able to if I wanted to and that they could do the same with me is enough to make me think of them as a friend. Also generally someone I just like spending time with and choose to be around, but the two seem to go hand in hand!

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
It's got to do with comfort levels, pretty much. If we're comfortable with each other to the point where we can say things that we wouldn't say to normal people and know we're joking, then we're friends.

Pretty much this.

Spoiler:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
A friend is someone you can chill with, and you know pretty much everything about them. Real friends however are rare, and the only people you can trust, and tell things you consider private. No line to be honest, and acquaintances are people I rarely have, because of our mostly closed group.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
umm,tbh i'm kinda isolated personality...i don't trust people easily and when i do it's not 100% .... but i think i can befriend people who care to know me and who listen to me and maybe share my interests!...i believe that's why my online friends are more than my irl ones....people open up online more they do irl....but anyway..anyone who could handle my friendship deserves a golden Medal and the honor of calling me a friend! lol hahaha I LOVE ALL MY FRIENDS!!! <3

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I feel I can make friends easily quickly after talking to them, but really getting to know me takes longer, I'm complicated xD Anyways, I don't feel I'm mean or come off as a complete A so I make friends easily, but I'm slightly shy, so you might have to start the conversation, or I will if I want xD

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
When I've been to their house or they've been to mine, either way. It has to be for a social reason though, not "oh you left your glasses at work and you're on my way home" lol.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Imo, an acquaintance becomes a friend once we've had a moderately long conversation about our interests. Idk.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'm not really sure on this question, for me, I have to talk to a person more than just a couple of times and outside of the place I generally see them. If we text regularly, then I consider us to be friends, I guess. I don't have many, but I guess I have some. xD

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
A friend for me is someone who I have told something personal about myself. Someone who I like to have around. Most likely someone who can forgive my flaws and also the other way around.
An acquintance for me is someone who doesnt know anything important about my personal life.

Back