• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on evolution via trade?

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
This was like the basis of Pokemon!
They wanted to make a game where multiplayer was encouraged, battles and getting rewarded for trading (evolving.) I have no problem with it. If they'd introduced it later, I might. An alternate way of evolving said Pokemon would be cool though, for people with no wifi/friends.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I love it but I hardly ever got to evolve mine via trade because I had no one to trade with that had a cable link. Good old times with the cable links.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Well, trade evolutions offer a bunch of things. You get to fill another spot in the Pokedex, and you get a more stronger Pokemon. A good example of this is Gengar. Haunter is rather weak compared to Gengar. But, as with many positives, there are negatives to balance it out.

Trades can be tedious if you don't have anyone to trade with. You could be spending days looking for someone to trade with, whether it be at home or on the internet...and usually, people on the net would want something in return. Also, some trades could require the use of items, such as the Reaper Cloth for Dusclops to evolve into Dusknoir, or the Metal Coat for Steelix and Scizor. It could take a bit of time to find those items if you don't exactly know where to get them.

tnfsf11

I dislike the idea of trading to evolve itself, none of my friends play Pokemon, because them retards think it's a kids' game >:( but anyway trading with strangers could be useful, except that I don't fully trust anyone, also it may get a bit difficult to find a trader who's active in my timezone AND has a good wi-fi connection... :P

I like Gengar, Alkazam, Golem, Porygon2 & Politoed just to name a few, I only had them when I traded with myself by making a copy of my ROM & using it in Gold, it was quite the headache finding the appropriate program too :/

Getting the hold-while-trading items can be a pain sometimes & it will become even more painful as more games are released, some of them are to be received so late in the game or post-E4 which is kinda stupid imo.
A better alternative would be evolving while holding items instead of trading while holding them, but without the night-time/day-time clause, & ofc make the items cheap & easily obtainable.

Another thing that would be useful is NPC trades, why trade a Ralts for a Seedot when you can trade a Graveler for a Haunter? Trading NPCs should exist more & in the same time have better offers.

-More off-topic talk in the spoiler-
Spoiler:

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
Although trade evolution can be useful in a lot of situations (namely to get Golem, Machamp, Alakazam and Gengar), I personally don't like it now that I don't have a gameboy to play the games on.

As I use an emulator on my Android, getting certain Pokemon is clearly out of the question and therefore it's a selfish rreason why I don't like it :p

As I don't really play the official games anymore though, I don't mind as the trading to evolve limitation doesn't exist.

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2017
In terms of filling out the pokedex, the GTS Request system is the best thing that happened to trade evolutions.

I will say that GameFreak could have been more helpful in explaining the Shelmet/Karrablast evolution mechanics in the game. Their pokedex entries and the references to electricity made me think you had to level them up in the Chargestone Cave.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I found that trading was nice when i was young and still in school where people played the game around me. Now that that is not the case it is just an annoying part of the game that generates gamefreak more money.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
You have no idea how I hate trade evolution. Ever since I found out that, to get my hands on the almighty Alakazam, I needed to trade Kadabra.

Back