• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo DS Music Hacking [LOOPING INCLUDED, FULLY EXPLAINED]

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
I am not sure if this has been asked, but is it possible to record a song on GarageBand and replace them in the ROM image?

Ninja Lamb

"I rike monies'!" Gamefreak™
Years
Where can i find the "View a List Of" in CrystalTile2? I can't find it :)
Thanks BTW.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. First time i opened Crystal Tile it didn't show it O_o.

Last edited:

KevinSephiroth

Captain of the undead army
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 28, 2021
Hi Team Fail. You have made a great tutorial.

I could find and listen to tunes in mario kart for exemple using the softwares you gave.

My problem is that I wanna use the songs in Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor and put them (not all but some) inside Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey...

Sound files are in .adx format, listenable using AFS Explorer (tool for PES editing IIRC), there is a SDAT file but only in Strange Journey, there isn't one for Devil Survivor.

SSEQ files are "hidden" when I try to find them in VGMTrans. (cause the songs are indeed the .adx files in both cases)

I used nitroexplorer to extract and replace some .adx files, but when done there are two problems:

In Strange Journey, if I try to click on "Load Game" on title screen it freezes (or even if I try to move the cursor) , only on flashcart , on DeSmuMe there is no problem.
And, there is no sound except for the area level theme, menu, cursor sounds have vanished ... Which must be the reason why the games hangs when trying to move the cursor/load a save on the flashcart, cause the sound is missing...

Really strange.

EDIT: in fact, by just extracting sdx and reinserting them for any music that is not a sector theme it works like a charm. But when I wanna reinsert some files to replace sector themes nitro explorer gives me a "error 52 bad file name" thingie. Dunno why.

IIRC, if I start by replacing sectors themes it should be fine, but I'd run into this problem when trying to replace other themes I think. Didn't try for now.

Maybe it's because of a limit in size files. Strange cause the files I reinserted are like between 300ko and 1500ko max, whereas original files are between 1200 and 2600 ko...
If I try to insert files under 900 ko to replace sector themes nitroexplorer doesn't give an error but instead I get the "title screen no sound hanging if I try loading game" >_>
Maybe because I run a virtual PC under Mac OS X to run NitroExplorer and other things (don't have bootcamp)

Anyway I changed all battle/event themes , only left are sectors' themes, which aren't THAT bad. This'll allow me to finish this game now, I was sick of hearing those bad tunes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
I haven't really worked with GarageBand (As I don't own a Mac) but, if you can export .mid files, you should be fine. It's best to use Wine and FL Studio as you can use samples from the game for the most accuracy.

Sorry to bother you, but is it possible to add pokemon R/S/E music in?

Tan and Teal

DS ROM Hacker
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 23, 2019
Hey Team Fail. I don't use Crystal Tile 2 too much, and the button for save, doesn't work. After I edit the music, when I try to close it, it says:

the file has been modified! Do you really want to shut down?(you can click cancel to save it.)

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
Alright thanks so much for all of your help that you have provided

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2011
hello Team Fail...
I was searching how to make this for long time and finally I found it...
I was reading the instructions but I can´t understand how do you make the loop in Fl Studio...
please, can you make a video explaining how we make the loop, please...

sorry if I misspelled, my english is not very good...

thanks for the tutorial :D

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
When I try to use the ''new'' midi2sseq.exe, it tells me that two .dll files are missing (libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and libstdc++-6.dll).

I tried searching for them, but I couldn't find any download links. Besides, I guess this shouldn't be needed at all since this tutorial doesn't mention them.

How do I solve this problem?

Tsukimaru

Double battles veteran
Years
GUYS, I NEED URGENT HELP!!! :( i`m stucked in the part of FL exporting midi :(
i did all as it say, but the file doesnt export with all the extra sound effects, it just export the original midi, and im about to rip my hair because i`ve tried everything!!! :S the song im trying to export is from Castelvania: Dawn of Sorrow, the battle theme when you fight Dimitri (i really dont expect that all of u stand what i mean, no offense), but the point is that im getting pissed at trying :( plsss help meeee... T-T

Tsukimaru

Double battles veteran
Years
That's what it's supposed to do. The patch numbers will match up with values in the soundbank file in the DS rom and it will sound like it did in FL Studio once you insert it.

ohhh... rly? well then, i`ll continue my project and if something goes up, i`ll letcha know. thx ;)

hey, new issue :S i did everything and inserted the file, but when i try it, no sound is displayed :S there was a strange message when using the sseq converter saying (tempo is too fast). d u think that it is thte problem?

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Whenever I try to download the Pack, it says "The item you are downloading is either unavailable to you or has just been deleted by the owner". Solutions? Please respond!

Tsukimaru

Double battles veteran
Years
Whenever I try to download the Pack, it says "The item you are downloading is either unavailable to you or has just been deleted by the owner". Solutions? Please respond!

well, it pretty obvious that the file is no longer hosted in the download page that you`re using. try googling another site where to download it ;)

droomph

weeb
Years
Also, could someone please how to edit the game files so that one track plays instead of another. (I want to swap the Elite Four theme with the Kanto Champoin theme) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Okay, I'm not one to talk about these things, and no one has seemed to answer your question, but in a FileViewer (Like Tinke) you can find the main .sdat file that directs the game to all of the songs.

Whatever. Just find the file.

Then, you look at the box, where it lists the file information.

Look for "offset", and in HxD (what a wonderful program) go to that offset.
Then, using the "search" button, find the pointer-offset (reversed offset) of the file you want to edit. Remember to use the "search forward" option.

If you want to replace, do a "search and replace" for the first file, and then do a "search and replace" for the second file.

Now, I don't know if this works, but all the files listed seem to correspond to the ones I found after the offset...

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
@Tsukimaru ... and everyone else I guess. SSEQ's fail to play correctly when the tempo is higher than 240. I've done a ton of stuff with the sseq format... including hacking them into the actual official cartridge.

droomph

weeb
Years
I noticed that VGMTrans exports the SSEQs to their respective General MIDI sounds. Does MIDI2SSEQ do the same, but in reverse?

(I'm asking because FL Studio doesn't quite work for me with MIDIs)

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
I'm still curious on how Markitus95 does the .mp3 hacking in his DS games. I did most of what was instructed. For example, I'm trying to insert a 1:14 long .mp3 file into a Pokémon White game. The filesize of the .swar seems to be larger than that of the previous one, by a lot (1.56 MB). Inserting that will result in either a drastically increased filesize (which causes a blackscreen) on the game, or it will delete as many .swar files as the file will need to fit the game's filesize (which mutes the song, perhaps for breaking the game's music system). I was thinking maybe compressing the .swar would work, but I'm not quite sure.

Also, I don't know what to do with the .sbnk. As for looping, is it the same method that is instructed here? And the .sseq, it has only has one track, which means it will be smaller. Is that normal? Tell me if I'm close.

darkdarkrai

No. 1 World at war fanboy
Years
Where can you find Magicsseq.dll? I tried on youtube (It is not on gbatemp , utuber6061 tricked us all:disappoin) and I saw this video saying a guy called 'Edwidge' made it. The only mirror today that hosts it is down and the files are corrupted. If someone has a link please post it or PM Me.

darkdarkrai

No. 1 World at war fanboy
Years
As far as I know, it does not exist. I found a copy of it once upon a time, but it was a null DLL- it was all zerobytes. You don't need it to loop anyways, the new MIDI2SSEQ and Anvil Studio can do that for you.

As for that YouTube video, I saw it once (I can't seem to find it again :\) but it looked a little outdated. I'd go with using the method illustrated in this guide until I can find an actual, working copy of MagicSSEQ and test it. If I do find it, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks for the help Team Fail!

Senoue

I'm back to rise!
Years
How do I exactly insert an mp3 into FL to make a loop? Whenever I try and save to Midi, I get no sound.

Back