• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Hacking Next Gen...

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Sorry guys if this is in the wrong section, could a mod be so kind as to move it where it belongs?

Okay the 3rd generation of Pokemon has seen many rom hacks as it seems to be the best gen to have many tools. But since there is the DS games I thought that someone would step on the scene to make tools to hack the new generation. It would be nice if we could remake Red on the DS or even Ruby. So basically I'm wandering why we can't hack the DS games yet...is it alot more complicated to make tools hackiable to the 4th gen?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
You can hack it but because the graphics are so complicated you cant map.... Why would you want to remake Red? We already have heartgold XD

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
This is in the wrong section but no worries, I'll move it over to the Rom Hacking forum for you. For future refrence, that's where all hacking discussions belong.

Thread Moved.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
If I recall, the typical answer for these was:

Do it yourself. Learn how to.

However, I only did that as that is what Sebbe would have done. What my thing is: A map editor isn't about tiles anymore, but 3D models. THAT will be harder, so... I doubt it will be made easily.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Well, if you want it so bad, make one yourself. Not everything has been discovered about FR/LG, or R/S/E yet, and seeing as that is what all the people who actually make tools are still working on, it would be nice, as it is your hacking generation that will have D/P/Pt and HG/SS to hack like we do Advance Generation, you should make the tool.

I can't explain things today... Basically, the people who are making tools currently are still focusing on the older generations, as they grew up with that. Your hacking time has come, and you all love HG/SS, so why not pick up where they left off - make tools for it yourself? Why ask for someone else (apart from laziness, because if you were very bone-idle, why hack at all? Making tools could be as fun, if done right), when you can take all the credit, and be remembered for a while?

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
and seeing as that is what all the people who actually make tools are still working on, it would be nice, as it is your hacking generation that will have D/P/Pt and HG/SS to hack like we do Advance Generation, you should make the tool.

I can't explain things today... Basically, the people who are making tools currently are still focusing on the older generations, as they grew up with that.
Then there are those of us, who never did any hacking for 3rd gen, and only work on 4th gen. However, on PC there is not enough interest for what is done so far, because everyone is babied with what can be done for 3rd gen. So they look at what we can do in 4th gen and say "Well you can't map yet, so that's useless". Outside of PC there are alot of 4th gen ROM edits. Obviously nowhere near as exhaustive as 3rd gen ROM edits, but they'll get there. I would not be surprised if PC found out way after the fact, though.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Then there are those of us, who never did any hacking for 3rd gen, and only work on 4th gen. However, on PC there is not enough interest for what is done so far, because everyone is babied with what can be done for 3rd gen. So they look at what we can do in 4th gen and say "Well you can't map yet, so that's useless". Outside of PC there are alot of 4th gen ROM edits. Obviously nowhere near as exhaustive as 3rd gen ROM edits, but they'll get there. I would not be surprised if PC found out way after the fact, though.

Ah, I really should have edited my post... I realise that there are some who didn't do 3rd Gen, after reading the old thread.

I know there are a lot of 4th Gen edits, and PC only seems to edit the Advanced ROMs mainly, and I really want tools for D/P/Pt, but not that badly. If I did want it that badly, I'd learn how to make tools, and then scour all of the ROM, seeing what does what. One of the problems is that most of the hackers who want to hack D/P/Pt have limited knowledge of hacking or modifying at all, and only use tools. That isn't their fault, they know no better (especially the ones on PC). But if they want the tools, they need to realise that they could create them themselves.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
But to make the tools you would need knowledge on the methods that are used within the 4th gen, heck 5th gen is arriving and it will be much harder than.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Erm, no.. As it'll still run on the NDS.
The only thing that'll be new is possible DSi-mode stuff.
Erm, yes... I've read that the new gen games will be different from the ones we play today and if that happens to be the case than things WILL be harder.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Erm, yes... I've read that the new gen games will be different from the ones we play today and if that happens to be the case than things WILL be harder.
Not necessarily. Each system has its own "standard" data structures for common game components. In the DS's case that's images, models, animations, sounds, etc. Since the 5th generation will be on the DS like the fourth generation it's likely that those elements I just mentioned will be able to be hacked with the same knowledge and/or tools, which is a huge time saver.

We won't be starting from square one as has been done in past generations.

OM3GA Umbr30n

Was Mazot2
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 3, 2010
Ok ive been planning on making a D/P/Pt Mapping tool called Diamond Map but i have no idea of how the GBA or DS mapping works so i wanted to compare them.
but im hearing about 3D models etc. and i was thinking it would require alot of time but i was thinking would it be worth it due to lack of credit for such an awsome tool?
O.o I wouldnt even be remembered like Lu-Ho isnt.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Ok ive been planning on making a D/P/Pt Mapping tool called Diamond Map but i have no idea of how the GBA or DS mapping works so i wanted to compare them.
but im hearing about 3D models etc. and i was thinking it would require alot of time but i was thinking would it be worth it due to lack of credit for such an awsome tool?
O.o I wouldnt even be remembered like Lu-Ho isnt.

First off, if you're making a tool for popularity or credit, you're doing it wrong.

Second, I think you might want to know something about hacking before trying to make tools. It IS pretty hard with all those models and thingies.

Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2010
Hacks have been made such as Pokemon Deathly Diamond and Pokemon Platinum Plus.

Encounter data has not been found in Pokemon HGSS, so you cannot edit locations of Pokemon. The only thing I have been able to find in HGSS is the script, and maybe some sprites, along with D-Trogh's findings...

Ven

Tyrian
Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2011
The main reason why a map editor hasn't been made is just because pokemon DPP and HGSS use 3d graphics, so making a map with those graphics would need a shat load of hex, for the shadows, dimensions and all that jazz.
Although some progress has been made in mapping, some people have been able to add simple things like flowers into maps, but I don't know know of anything else.
A few people have also managed to make scripts with hex.
So, if you really want to make a 4th gen hack, learn hex.

Of course I personally know almost nothing about hex and asm.

Back