• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Possible Intolerance at the Museum of Tolerence

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Yesterday, we had a field trip at my school to the Museum of Tolerance. While there, we were led to a room filled with examples of prejudice. Among them were messenges against Muslims such as "Jehovah doesn't make us terrorists."

I didn't know if those anti-Muslim messenges were examples of intolerance or if they were genuine messenges promoting Christianity. I pointed out to the the tour guide that it seems like the Museum is making their religion look worse than Christianity. He replied "Well sometimes that's the case."

I couldn't tell if he was actually prejudice against Muslims or if I misunderstood what he meant. Near the end of the tour, we watched a video about today's problems with hate. Many problems were related to Islamic terrorism over their unacceptance to other ideas.

Finally I pointed out that throughout the tour, I didn't see anything about the difference between Muslims and terrorists. Terrorism and extremists exist in every belief, that the Muslim religion isn't an evil religion. My school principal (who happened to be in the same tour group as me) agreed and had a speech about how today's society isn't doing enough to clarify the difference between Muslims and terrorists. That the most conflict recently is Muslims against Muslims debating the methods and ideologies of actions for/against terrorism. Basically, he explained that we need to be accepting, and not to assume that any religion is a terrorist religion. Meanwhile, our tourguide remained silent.

I don't know if he was silent because my principal already explained, or if he's silent because he doesn't agree. What do you guys think? Could I be wrong about the tour guide's possible prejudice, do you think he was prejudice, if he is would he represent the Museum's morals or is it just his opinion?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
This seems like a more broad discussion about the nature of intolerance to me, so I'm going to move it over to OC&D where it'll get the treatment it deserves :)

Years
I think you should assume that the tour guide is doing their job first and foremost. He probably has scripted responses to questions, at least in part. The guide's response doesn't sound overtly prejudiced. I mean, sometimes Muslims do bad things. Sometimes Christians do bad things. Sometimes, etc. etc. Maybe that's not the best way to approach the topic of tolerance at a museum for tolerance, but based on just that one line I wouldn't assume it meant one thing and I'd want to ask someone to clarify if they did say something like that.

Regarding tolerance as a thing in general. It's good. It's also good to point out where certain things have failings on the whole when necessary. I would say that one should respect people's personal beliefs, but I'm not going to, for instance, be tolerant of extreme religious beliefs, like ones that get people so mad as to shout at and threaten elementary school girls for being hussies*. Those people are showing a great deal of intolerance and I wouldn't tolerate it even if it was their religious belief.

* Not the actual word used. You know what it was.

Years
I wouldn't say the guide was being intolerant since they were just doing their job. The museum itself could possibly have an anti-Muslim bias but having never been their or anything nor hearing the discussions properly I can't judge.

As for what both you and Scarf have said on tolerance itself I completely agree with the two of you and I'll add in that tolerance isn't a religious issue it is a personal one. A religion can preach tolerance or intolerance but to actually follow that teaching is up to the individual.

Years
All three of the great Monotheistic faiths have Histories soaked in blood. And, this violence was officially sanctioned from the highest powers that be in those faiths - The Pope, the Caliph, Ayatollah, etc. I see no harm in stating the obvious here.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
Islamophobia is a really big problem in society. It's getting worse and worse. If we fail to separate Muslims from Islamic extremists, there could be problems.

I see anti-Muslim prejudices everywhere, and I'm getting sick of it. I purchased a history textbook for college recently. When I got it and read it, I was horrified at the last chapter. The last chapter is very Islamophobic. The chapter looks like it was written by Geert Wilders, Daniel Pipes, or Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It talks about Muslim misogyny and anti-Semitism - I do realize that some Muslims think this way, but most don't. Worse, it talks about the problems that the Muslims cause, but fails to mention the white Europeans' contributions to the problem. I mean, both of them contribute to the division in their countries. At least two of my classmates are Muslim, and I am afraid that they might be offended by the textbook. And I used to be quite Islamophobic because I listened to people like Daniel Pipes. I don't want to fall into that trap again.

I live in an area with thousands of Muslim immigrants and not once have I heard a local report of an honor killing or a crowd of angry Muslim men. I've never met a young Muslim girl who got married to an old man. My college has plenty of Muslim female students. Very rarely have I found crime stories in my area committed by Muslims. I don't think I've even met a Muslim who fit the stereotype.

Last edited:

Crux

Evermore
Years
Islamophobia is a really big problem in society. It's getting worse and worse. If we fail to separate Muslims from Islamic extremists, there could be problems.

I see anti-Muslim prejudices everywhere, and I'm getting sick of it. I purchased a history textbook for college recently. When I got it and read it, I was horrified at the last chapter. The last chapter is very Islamophobic. The chapter looks like it was written by Geert Wilders, Daniel Pipes, or Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It talks about Muslim misogyny and anti-Semitism - I do realize that some Muslims think this way, but most don't. Worse, it talks about the problems that the Muslims cause, but fails to mention the white Europeans' contributions to the problem. I mean, both of them contribute to the division in their countries. At least two of my classmates are Muslim, and I am afraid that they might be offended by the textbook. And I used to be quite Islamophobic because I listened to people like Daniel Pipes. I don't want to fall into that trap again.

I live in an area with thousands of Muslim immigrants and not once have I heard a local report of an honor killing or a crowd of angry Muslim men. I've never met a young Muslim girl who got married to an old man. My college has plenty of Muslim female students. Very rarely have I found crime stories in my area committed by Muslims. I don't think I've even met a Muslim who fit the stereotype.

With no disrespect meant, I can't help but find this to be aggravating.
Whilst as you are open minded enough to not hate muslims for stereotipical reason you're failing to think the same for people of Islamic heritage. I personally have met people from all over the world, Israel included, and not one of these said Islamic people fit your stereotype.
And this is sadly not the first place i've seen such a mind set.
Hey, here's a grand idea, why don't we judge people by who they themselves are, not by what others of the same heritage have done?

Back