• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokecheck.org and its Effect on Trading

electrifuzz

I find it immensley helpful, I can check EVs and IVs easily which I love.

Kaiza

Conceptual Amateur
Years
The only thing I used it for was 1.) Download a couple of lab rats to play around with, not use. and 2.) Get a ditto for breeding since I cant get a female tepig. :P it has hindered trading because people just get free pokes, but it helps breeding in such a way like my case. But for cloning, I'm getting an AR tomorrow. :D

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
Overall i love pokecheck, i use it all the time for iv checking and hack checks, i used to use it for cloning but for some reason they decided to put ribbons on my cloned pokes 0.o so now i just do iv/hack checks, and one downside to it is that its pretty much all free pokes there.
And the people who get their pokes from there are just too lazy to get them themselves

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
I love the EV/IV checking. And hack checking.
And the only time I downloaded a Pokemon was when I downloaded a level 100 Serperior to clear the main story faster so I could focus more on breeding/shiny hunting. Of course though, I played through the game a couple times before, so it's not like I cheated my first playthrough of the game.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Personally I think Pokecheck has ruined trading...! I mean I used to collect DW females for breeding but now Pokecheck has come along my DW's are useless! you can get much better IV'd pokemon and for free so my 160+ DW females are useless now :( and also why trade to obtain a pokemon when you can much it's much easier, quicker and free to download someone else's. However there are good sides to Pokecheck, most notably hack checking. I also use pokecheck for checking EV's and IV's of mine and other's pokemon.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
After 1300 hours of pokemon and battle tower, I think I earned a short cut. I'm not a child anymore. There are only so many pokemon I can spend a week breeding and EV training. I want to expirement with a Hydragon, but he takes forever to level up, plus breeding time, plus EV training time.

On Wi-Fi, I wish the game could tell the difference and ban these copied pokemon. Battles are more fun with YOUR pokemon.

Years
Pokecheeck its cool,easy to check ivs,legitimacy and maybe get perfect parents for breeding or rng breeding.But,i believe it really had a huge impact on the trading world.If you trade those pokes they are hacks,and im retty sure people will scam others abusing this rule.Furthermore,it makes getting not just a poke,but a flawless poke EASY.Personally i introduced pokecheck to a guy,and i regreted it.He was going to learn how to battle and rng,but he quited because he just found everything without working for them...

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I just tried Pokecheck.org for the first time to see how it works.

The pokemon you download have Primer Ribbons, so they can not be traded on GTS. They could still be traded locally, I think.

If they could somehow do the same thing for online battles, that would be a fair deal for everybody. "You can use pokecheck mons in your private game cartrage, but it has a special ribbon that bans it from trades and online battles."

People could experiment with pokemon, and then decide if it is worth the immense time sink for raising a legitimate one for Online Play.

However, That isn't the way things are... yet.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Yes, you ca trade those Pokemon via wireless and WiFi (but not GTS). All 4th Gen events have this ribbon so, lol - you can trade them.

Pokecheck Pokemon are banned from official events as ribbon make them look like hacked but you can use them on random matchup, for example.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
If I want to trade I don't like the idea of being screened not that I would trade a cheated Pokemon but still.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I think Pokecheck has pieces on both the positive, and the negative. On the one hand, we now have a way to effectively check for hacked Pokemon, even if it's still not perfect and hackers are always getting better.

On the other hand, it opens up the ability for people to get a hold of just about any Pokemon they want, even though it would have a ribbon, which leaves people wondering just why they would need to trade any more. In just a few days, a person could easily complete the National Pokedex, leaving the need to trade completely moot.

Personally, I think the positive outweighs the negative, as I can provide people with a clear picture of what my offerings look like, and confirm my breeds are up to par with requests. I do think it has slowed down trading, but so has the simple ability to hack Pokemon. I think plenty of people still like to trade Pokemon the old fashion way, and as long as that's the case we will still have a place here on the forums.

Years
I used pokecheck to transfer my pokemon from ss to white 2!! I have no access to a second ds and i was looking for a way to do it without one and i found pokecheck! And best of all, they didnt put a ribbon on my poketransfer pokemon.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
Years
I personally love Pokecheck's ability for me to transfer 4th Gen to 5th gen via PokeTransfer method, with just 1 DS. It is very convenient for me. It is also extremely useful for getting exact IVs and EVs and not ranges from any normal IV Calculator. Again, it is also really useful for finding my SID for RNGing, and also checking Pokemon for legality.

On the other hand though, Pokecheck has extremely hindered trading now. Back in the day, you met up with someone and set up a meeting to trade what Pokemon you desire, or you could use random GTS and enjoy it when you get a trade out of it. Now with Pokecheck, literally anyone with a WiFi connection can get flawless IV/EV/Shiny Pokemon with just a few clicks. In my opinion, it's cheaty and not right for a person who actually takes their time to RNG/hunt.

That is just my own opinion; I'm sure many people have other views. But what is true is that Pokecheck has extremely changed how trading works, and I'm afraid it will never go back to the way it was meant to be.

Years
I haven't really checked the trading situation since D/P/Pt so I've just read up on this after being intrigued by the thread.

Having recently bought and completed Black 2 and current playing Heart Gold, this site sounds like a godsend for me. I've been worrying about how I was going to transfer my Heart Gold pokemon over since I bought them both. Some of the other uses make it sound nifty too.

While it does hinder trading in some aspects, there's always going to be something stupid that ruins trading (Action Replay for example) so this is probably one of the more positive tools that does that.

It also defeats the horrible mechanic of IVs if I'm reading people's opinions correctly.

Melody

Banned
Years
I think Pokecheck fills a very good niche well. It allows people who are willing to cheat to cheat, but it doesn't force anyone else to use them. By tagging cloned/illegal pokemon with a ribbon, it makes illegitimate pokemon easy to spot, the way it should be.

I don't believe it's any problem if someone breeds from a hacked Pokemon, since the resulting pokemon is naturally generated.

I respect that some people may not want to cheat or own Pokemon that are otherwise illegal, that is having attributes that are not possible naturally. But I define illegal as anything that is obtained by exploiting the code. This does not include the art of RNG abuse, which exploits knowledge of how the PRNG in the game works, not the game code itself.

I don't like that some people might think that Pokemon bred from these "illegal" Pokemon are any less legal. They're not. Breeding re-introduces the randomness that the game designers intended, so requires the user to work at breeding.

I don't believe it harms trading, because there will still always be a demand for "Legal" Pokemon. The ease of getting "Hacks" is high. A trade will still always be as it's intended, a social experience, and it will become more valuable.

I actually believe Pokecheck is an improvement. It discourages people from passing off illegal Pokemon in a trade because they can get exactly what they want, made to order, from Pokecheck instead of scamming people who put in good honest work by legitimately obtaining their Pokemon in the game.

Pokecheck also maximizes the good one can do by putting hard work into creating Pokemon and distributing them to many people, rather than one, and do so without contributing to the problems that make Wifi trading unusable to players who don't like illegal pokemon.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Uhm, actually, Pokecheck doesn't tag clones and hacks with a ribbon. What it does is it tags anything you download that isn't yours with a ribbon, basically turning legit/legal stuff into hacks. If you're cloning your own Pokemon, you have to be careful to hit the right button, or else you'll download a copy of your own Pokemon... with a ribbon. There's a different button for cloning.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
This also means that someone who doesn't have the means to extract saves can still bring hacks to their game, as long as the Pokemon matches their OT they can import as many hacked Pokemon WITHOUT a ribbon as they like. This is certainly not a good thing, especially since they can use Pokecheck to make sure the Pokemon looks legal for all intents and purposes.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Eh, that's been going on since before the rise of Pokecheck though. Unfortunately, no matter what, there'll always be hacks floating around. X & Y only brings new hacking potential, and doesn't affect the old.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
What Griffinbane said. Before the existence of Pokécheck, there's been Pokésav, PokéGen, Action Replay, Legal.exe, storage devices, and various other methods to help hackers...hack. Good and bad hacks will always be spread around (like herpes).

Back