• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

This game isn't just bad, it's REALLY bad!

SomariFeyWright

Seven years is all it takes...
Years
Sonic and the Secret Rings. As a modern Sonic supporter/preferr...er, and even one who thinks Sonic '06 is overhated, my god, that game was terrifying.

And yet... only for two reasons.

1. The soundtrack was unmemorable. Sonic has had a 99.9% perfect soundtrack... with that .1% ruined by this game. Seriously, even the THEME SONG is unmemorable. I don't care about the tune, don't know the words... it was just awful.

2, and worst of all: The control scheme. Just... my god. It was unplayable. The levels were only challenging because of how hard it was to play. The missions are pointless and infuriating. <<;

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
Probably going to have to go with SimCity for the DS. I had it once before, but I sold it. Recently I wanted to play it again... and I reminded myself why I sold it before. It's really... boring, plain and simple.

I didn't even know there was a SimCity for DS. I figure it's just as disappointing as the recent PC game, which I've already discussed. I have very fond memories of the series and I still play SimCity 4 when I'm bored. Just like with some of the recent Sonic games, it's such a shame when a good series goes bad. Thabkfully Sonic has had his share of good games lately, but SimCity just can't keep up.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Alpha Protocol.

Rented the game one time because it was interesting...and guess what? It wasn't. I was not impressed with the storyline and the use of weapons. I was expecting a great shooting game but...it didn't meet my expectations.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Duke Nukem Forever.

I mean, need I say more? It's not as dated as some of the aforementioned games but, seriously, it was just... staggeringly awful and offensive. ;(

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Quest 64. I had high hopes for this game, because it was advertised as "the first RPG for the Nintendo Entertainment System." When my dad finally bought me this game, I was bored with it the next second. xD The enemies and bosses in this game were nearly impossible to get past, it didn't let you let save the game very often, and the graphics quality were very poor. The only good thing about this game was the battle system, which was kind of unique. Everything else were just awful.

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Or maybe you're just really bad at playing games...

Uhm, let's see now... Spore's Galactic Adventures expansion pack is IMO the worst game I've ever played. The worlds you were supposed to explore look like !@#$%^*, level design was terrible, combat sucked and it was always the same boring thing you had to do. -.-;

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
I've actually searched this topic online, and was amused to read some of the most notably bad games as of late. One of the funniest was a review for Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade (Wii U) - "Patient suffered a psychotic breakdown while playing this game. No treatment possible." In summary, the game features a bunch of 'entertaining' and 'exciting' mini-games that are supposed to engage your entire family and friends and simply have a good time. Unfortunately for Nintendo, somewhere in the development stages someone must've done something terribly wrong, as critics have since deemed the game 'practically unplayable'.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
A lot of the licenced games for the NES and SNES were particularly bad. One I had the misfortune of playing was the Lord of the Rings SNES game. The levels are huge and confusing. I accidentally let Frodo die, and guess what? When a character dies in this game, he is gone forever. You're basically screwed. Also, there's tons of glitches, and the game doesn't even advance past Moria (therefore no Lothlorien, Galadriel, or anything coming up afterwards). The Wizard of Oz game did that too. Dorothy had enough lives available to ensure that not happening to her, but the others...my word. Playing both was painful.

Another one I played was Deadly Towers. It's an RPG, but it's so confusing and certain parts of it are quite laughable. The manual's description of a "short sword" is a prime example of stupidity.

(I don't own an NES. I played these at a much older cousin's house.)

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I'd have to say any game with a huge focus on a ridiculous metagame. Games like that are full of tier-obsessed, neckbearded mouthbreathers who will act like smug elitists and derive all of their happiness from winning that game. Those guys ruined Smash Bros. and Street Fighter for me (Though to be fair, I didn't really much like Smash Bros. in the first place, I just played it casually with my friends), and they almost ruined Pokemon for me.

As for actual terrible games, while ET is bad, it is hardly the worst, simply because back when it was made, the standard of games wasn't nearly as high and by today's standards the game is just boring.

Superman 64 is far worse than ET, because unlike ET, playing S64 does nothing but infuriate you and piss you off, requiring precision that is impossible due to awful controls.

A runner up would be Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing for PC. No AI, Terrible graphics, No collision detection, No physics engine.

Uiriamu

The Gamer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Eh but put it this way. N64 was made a LONG time ago lol. so back then maybe games like superman 64 were good games because of the simple fact that we didn't have anything else. Now that we have ps3 and xbox and online mmos etc. When you go back to a system like n64 or atari you realize how little games back then had to offer.(well except fir n64 games like zelda. that had great storylines and tons to do)

Years
Eh but put it this way. N64 was made a LONG time ago lol. so back then maybe games like superman 64 were good games because of the simple fact that we didn't have anything else. Now that we have ps3 and xbox and online mmos etc. When you go back to a system like n64 or atari you realize how little games back then had to offer.(well except fir n64 games like zelda. that had great storylines and tons to do)

Superman 64 is a horrible game because it was a rushed heap of junk. Hardware availability has very little to do with if a game is good or not. What do you mean games back in the day didn't have anything to offer? You're telling me, Q-Bert for the Atari 2600 wasn't entertaining for it's generation? Is Super Mario Bros 3 boring because it's 8-bit and put in a cartridge that only holds a few kilobytes of data? Or heck, why not the N64 itself that had Banjo Kazooie, Mario Party 2. Or, hey, why not the Pokemon originals from around the same era as N64? Trust me, there are a lot of bad, bad games that are made today on next gen consoles; I'll let this be a good example...

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
The WORST game ever?

4qUOYph.jpg

Well I'm not sure how many of you people know Angry Joe and his YouTube channel, but his latest video reviews this game and man... it's the first 1/10 rating I've ever seen a game get. So I did a bit of research on Google from other reviewers and it seems like this could possibly be placed as one of the worst game ever made. Seriously, the amount of mind-blowing low scores it has got is unbelievable - even it's Metascore is an outstanding 20! TWENTY!

Here are some reviews if you are interested; I highly recommend at least watching the first one just for lolz sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HTKWX15oo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-10-ride-to-hell-retribution-review

http://uk.gamespot.com/ride-to-hell-retribution/reviews/ride-to-hell-retribution-review-6411189/

http://www.destructoid.com/review-ride-to-hell-retribution-257053.phtml

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/ride-to-hell-retribution

EDIT: Didn't know about this thread aha a bit embarassing

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I'd have to say any game with a huge focus on a ridiculous metagame. Games like that are full of tier-obsessed, neckbearded mouthbreathers who will act like smug elitists and derive all of their happiness from winning that game. Those guys ruined Smash Bros. and Street Fighter for me (Though to be fair, I didn't really much like Smash Bros. in the first place, I just played it casually with my friends), and they almost ruined Pokemon for me.

+1

I usually just play games for the fun of it, rather than competing. I really hate it when some players just take a game too seriously and just ruins the entire game with almost no input from the developers. The only real metagame I really am interested in is competitive Pokémon battling, and even that isn't perfect.

As for the worst game ever, just marvel at this:

Runners up are: Sonic 2006, Big Rigs, Bomberman Act Zero, Ultima IX and Mindjack.

Years
4qUOYph.jpg

Well I'm not sure how many of you people know Angry Joe and his YouTube channel, but his latest video reviews this game and man... it's the first 1/10 rating I've ever seen a game get. So I did a bit of research on Google from other reviewers and it seems like this could possibly be placed as one of the worst game ever made. Seriously, the amount of mind-blowing low scores it has got is unbelievable - even it's Metascore is an outstanding 20! TWENTY!

Here are some reviews if you are interested; I highly recommend at least watching the first one just for lolz sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HTKWX15oo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-10-ride-to-hell-retribution-review

http://uk.gamespot.com/ride-to-hell-retribution/reviews/ride-to-hell-retribution-review-6411189/

http://www.destructoid.com/review-ride-to-hell-retribution-257053.phtml

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/ride-to-hell-retribution

EDIT: Didn't know about this thread aha a bit embarassing
Oh wow. Oh. Wow. I just saw the video and my mind is blown. This game is absolutely horrible, there is no connection as to what happens at any stage in the game, random things happen at random times. Voice acting is not even acting it just sounds like they've woken up and been forced to speak. I don't even know what this game is. And the fact that they're considering making it a franchise, I have no idea how to respond to that.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
Worst game I've ever played was Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded. It didn't look very good, especially coming right after Birth by Sleep and it was remade from the original cell phone game, meaning it had a very shaky basis to begin with. The story was fairly pointless and it didn't help that I'd already seen all of the important scenes before I played the game--to be fair to me, I didn't think the game would ever come out in any capacity I could play (since the game only worked on a certain model of cell phone in Japan before its DS remake). So even the crappy plot was completely unoriginal for me. Literally the only reason to play this game is for the secret scene at the end which explains what's going on in KH3D but I didn't even get that in-game because I didn't meet the requirements. I just watched it on Youtube and wallowed in disappointment.

I will admit that the boss battles were interesting. Each one generally ended up as a different genre. Like, the boss fight for Traverse Town was a sidescrolling platformer, the boss fight in Wonderland was a shootemup (I think?), and so on. But it was really gimmicky and it made all the other fights in the game really pointless and grindy because you weren't even levelling/powering yourself up for the sake of proving yourself to a boss because the boss battles were fought differently. (I think. I've taken considerable effort to forget about this game.) The neon/grid areas of the data world and their enemies were ridiculously repetitive and not fun in the slightest. I honestly don't remember a whole lot of the game beyond what I've mentioned so it wasn't memorable at all, either.

It's a game where, had it continued to be a one-off cell phone game for all of its existence, everything about it could be forgiven, but as a stand-alone DS game trying to live up to the standard that Days and BBS had set as far as spin-off games in the series, it fell so short. It might not be a bad game compared to some other games mentioned in this thread but it was terrible compared to everything else in its series even to this day.

Bit Trip Runner
The only other game that makes me livid to think about because I disliked it so much is Bit Trip Runner. It was a reaction memorization game masquerading as a rhythm game. The game looks great, but that's about all that I can praise about it. It pretends to be rhythm based but I'd found that I played just as well with the sound off compared to on and the jumps/dodges/blocks didn't match up to the beat very often anyway. The music (and the beat, iirc) isn't the same every time you play a level, either, so I don't know where they get off calling it a rhythm game. The game was so hectic and chaotic in what it wanted you to do that it often felt like it was punishing you for learning your cues.

For example, there are these little trampolines you can jump on eventually that boost you up a little bit. The first few times you come across it, they put points or a "power up" (just adds more instruments/melody to the bgm) in a position where you'll only grab it if you jump from the trampoline. Alright, so you learn to jump on the trampolines whenever you see them... except eventually when you jump ON the trampolines instead of OVER them, you get launched into a hole. Sometimes, they mix these up even on the same level so you literally have no choice but to mess up once and then memorize how they want you to tackle each one. It happens with many of the different obstacles, too, so it doesn't feel like you're getting better at the game or learning it as you go along. It's not like you can when game constants are never actually constant.

The icing on the cake is that the game is designed to be unforgiving. You mess up even once, whether you're at the very beginning of a track or just before the end, it sends you back to the very beginning. It's almost impossible to get through something on your first try because it throws so many curve balls at you. Every time you start a new level, you practically have to completely untrain all your reactions. It wouldn't be so bad if you checkpointed or something every time you grabbed one of the four power ups (or just reached a certain point in the level), but you start from the BEGINNING. So longer levels (some get up to 2 or 3 minutes, I think) become agonizing as you end up having to memorize every single section of the song and you have to get the timing almost exactly right each time because if you don't, you're gonna waste that whole 2 minutes over again until you get it PERFECT every time. Changing the difficulty from Normal/Hard down to Easy doesn't help either--literally all that does is take away the points you get as you go through the level and all those do is give you bonus levels for getting all of them. If anything, taking them away in Easy mode makes it more confusing because you no longer have hints ahead of you showing you the way you should be going through the level. (It makes the screen look a little less cluttered but it's not like it's that much easier.)

I'm not very good at platforms--I won't try to hide that fact at all--so already I went into the game at a disadvantage but there was just no leeway whatsoever in this game and I don't think I've ever played something so frustrating in my life. Even finishing a level that's taken forever never felt satisfying: I'd just feel angry with myself for taking so long to memorize the exact timing and progression of every button press. I'd be okay with it if that's how they marketed the game (not that anyone would want it if they did) but the fact that they push it as a rhythm game when it really doesn't work as one just makes it all the more frustrating.

/whine whine whine

Years
Sonic and the Secret Rings. As a modern Sonic supporter/preferr...er, and even one who thinks Sonic '06 is overhated, my god, that game was terrifying.

I do have to agree with you. For all the pure disaster games in modern history (E.T., Superman 64, Ride to Hell Retribution). Sonic 06' might actually be the least of these. I feel the reason it receives so much hate though is because it dragged down a beloved character down with it. Sonic has never really recovered since 06'.

I think another reason, is that from a potential standpoint, it had some really cool things going for it. Some of the locales in the game could of been really cool if more time was spent developing them. (Crisis City and Kingdom Valley come to mind.) It had a wonderful soundtrack, and a plot that could of worked provided they took some time to iron out the kinks. It even had some cool ideas when it came to Sonic's movepool (the different coloured shoes), and Silver's gameplay could of been very interesting provided they built off what they already had. Even the villian is pretty cool in concept.

However, in all these aspects, it just falls short. Gameplay is stunted and buggy, sometimes to the point of nearly breaking the game, or making it far harder then it should be to do something simple (The Silver Boss fight comes up to mind almost instantly). The hub world feels incomplete and empty, and far too large. Sidequests feel tacked on. The Story feels rushed and creates plenty of plot holes. The graphics are meh at best (even for the time of release). To sum it up most easily: The game feels, and probally was, unfinished. Leaving a very empty feeling to a game that was (as stated previously) supposed to be a relaunch of the franchise.

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
Quite a few people are mentioning Sonic 2006. I just want to say one thing. I legitimately thought that was a good game. But a bad game I can think of...
People are gonna hate me for saying this, but, Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver.

Back