• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ew! It's a girl.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
I used to prefer males over females since the female's symbol and color used to bother me a lot. I liked the blue color and the male symbol since I thought that it matched very well with the HP bar and everything. I don't really care that much if its a female or male anymore. It still happens that I get this ''Oohh..I really wan't a male, oh well..'' feeling tho but I'm getting used to female pokemon. If there is a pokemon that has to be a female in order to evolve to a curtain pokemon then I'm using that pokemon as a female.

takenbythewind

fly on little wing ♪
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2013
It depends on the Pokemon for me.
Mienshao for instance has to be a girl.
I actually had to breed a string of Mienfoo's till I got a female.
Don't know why, but Mienshao just looks like its meant to be a girl.
Same with Jigglypuff, Ninetales, ect.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Honestly, I think it's kind of obnoxious to be ... Pokesexist?

Unless you've got an irrational fear of your opponent spamming attract or something, I don't see how or why it should matter.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Who cares about PKMNs genders. Not a diferrence for me.. Except for some, but yeah, i still catch it even if its male or female. My team are all male. Well, idk why lol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I don't really care - unless there were obvious gender differences, I wouldn't notice the difference half the time anyway. (Completely irrelevant, but obvious really doesn't look like its spelled correctly when I type it).

I do tend to end up with predominantly male teams though, for example between Emerald and Diamond teams I have only two female pokémon: Blissey (because they're all female) and Ninetales (because I thought it should be a girl for a beauty contest. It doesn't even get to battle xD ).

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
I don't really care what gender my pokemon are, honestly, even if they look really masculine or feminine. My team's gender ratio is pretty balanced, but I didn't go to any effort to make it that way.
I don't even care what gender my player character is, I picked the male on in heart gold because I didn't care for the female's hat lol

Melody

Banned
Years
Overall I don't really care what gender they are. Unless I'm catching to complete a breeding pair; then I pay attention. But I'll box them away anyways for later if I can conceive of a use for them. I seldom release anything unless it's a Pokemon I'm not going to train.

In a personal sense however; feelings differ, I allow myself, and I am more likely to become deeply attached to a female Pokemon than a male one. However I never get attached to Pokemon I didn't name; and I never name Pokemon that I didn't travel with extensively, and therefore bond deeply, with. I feel like nicknaming a Pokemon implies a more complex relationship than simply just the one between trainer and Pokemon. I occasionally nickname HM slaves for utility reasons if the need arises, but that doesn't do much. Pokemon that came with a name I didn't request usually end up being treated as if they've got no name at all.

But despite my personal tastes, I don't waste a usable Pokemon. While I wouldn't hesitate to release a box full of Magikarp; I would feel bad doing so with a box full of a less common, and/or annoying, Pokemon like Spinda. I especially feel responsible for finding good homes for all of them if I catch too many for my needs while grinding for shiny Pokemon. I once spent a week trading off a box full chaff Pokemon that I didn't want cluttering up my storage on the GTS. I was surprised they were valued at all, but the GTS is a worldwide place and somebody wanted them.

I ended up with essentially a box of Bidoof which I feel better about releasing into the wild than I did the other Pokemon.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
It depends on the pokemon's aesthetics. Some can go either way, some I prefer female, some I prefer male.

Just a quick example of two pokemon that have 50/50 gender splits but I prefer as a certain gender. Elegance and grace are attributed more to women, so I'd want a milotic to be female. A gyarados looks more rugged and powerful, so I'd want it to be male.

Red99

World Champion
Years
I don't tend to care too much about the gender of my Pokemon, unless I'm trying to raise a certain team of Pokemon, such as Red's team from the manga. Other than that, I don't really pay attention to the genders.

tnfsf11

I never bothered myself with genders since I'm already being bothered by natures & abilities...
Though I only have some hate for female Pikachus & Jellicents, they just look extremely girlish. I don't usually have a problem with pink pokes but pure pinkies like female Jellicents, Alomomola, Luvdisk, Gorebyss & Snubull bother me a bit.
I think both color & design matter, they must be... compatible with each other :P

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
I don't think the Pokemon have to be a certain gender just because for example there a 'girls' colour such as pink.
I have a female Garchomp & i think it adds character.
Like, You have to admit. A female Mr. Mime is pretty amusing :)

Years
Unless it's like female machamp, mr. mime, I don't mind. In fact, caring about genders only makes me grind more for the gender I want so I just stopped caring.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
There are some pokemon I don't want to be a certain gender. Like Kricketune. Chick-staches are not attractive. Female Kricketune will be forever alone. There's also Hauntail and Gorebyss, who I think should only be male or female, respectively. Gorebyss is pink, with eyelashes, and one of those seashell bras mermaids wear. How can Gorebyss be male? I also wouldn't want to get a male Jynx. Or a Female Mr. Mime. Or a female Machop/Machoke/Machamp. Alomomola and Luvdisc also should be strictly female. And Blissey. As well as Roselia. And Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable. And any Fairy Types. There are lots of pokemon who should only be female.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
When I was younger, I pretty much wanted only male Pokemon (with the exception of my beloved Scizor). Nowadays, I don't really care all that much, though many of my playthrough Pokemon are still male. For competitive, I actually seem to prefer to have my toughest Pokemon be female (Salamence, Durant, etc). In the end, though, it doesn't matter too much!

I actually find the idea of Pokemon who most people think look female, like Ninetales and Glaceon, being male really lovely. It's like they're elegant or something. I also find Pokemon that people seem to consider male, like Salamence and Manectric, to be really cool as females. I dunno, to me it's sort of like somebody saying that there can't be male Poodles or female Dobermans :P

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I love female Pokemon you sexist jerk D: Oh God, please realize I'm kidding. I can never tell with this forum how people take things.

I like female characters outside of Pokemon in general, that's eventually the direction I went in growing up? *shrug* I was also sold after I had a mostly female team with attract, playing again my friend who had mostly males (for what I assume is the same reason most of you like males. "Eww girls" and all).

Having said that, I used to catch Pokemon with genders that I felt made sense depending on outward appearance (Machop - Male, Clefairy - Female), and if it didn't matter (Rattata, Poochyena, etc), whatever I caught I caught. Drawing, on the other hand, I default to girls. What can you do?

Roh

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 7, 2014
I used to be like this. Not so much anymore. My Golem is a girl, though I won't lie, when Oddish searching, it had to be a girl. No way was I going to have a male vileplume, it's too cute.

I always thought of it like this.

If I was ever in a real battle and someone made a comment about my Golem, saying something like, "I bet he's too weak to defeat my argh blagh blargh," then I could say something in return like, "You're wrong, because she's going to kick your ass."

It was also just the fact that I had been catching Geodude left and right looking for the best nature and she finally had it. I wasn't going to complain.

Honest question: why do you think you have this attitude? 'Cause I used to be like this when I was younger, but can't really explain to myself why I felt this way. Nowadays, I don't care in the slightest what gender they are, but for a while I definitely did and can't explain why at all. It's very, very weird.

I read that in Sid's voice .___.

Last edited:

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
I don't catch only male or female Pokemon. I don't see why I should...?

I like to think up proper personalities for every pocket monster I catch and gender plays a big part on imagining my Pokemon as individual beings and not just pixels.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
I am NOT POKE-SEXIST which led to theseresults:

M Lopunny
M Happiny
F Machamp
F Gollem
F Aggron
F Lucario
F Dugtrio
F Darmanitan

And my most loved crossdresser pokemon of all times:

F Skuntank i mean girl, get the **** out of my pokeball and go into a shower!

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
I never really payed attention to the gender, on some playthroughs I end up having an all-female team which is kinda weird.

Back